Premed 101 Forums

Formal

I don't know what to wear! Is it a formal-formal or a semi-formal? When I went to formals in undergrad I just wore whatever I had because: 1) idgaf; and 2) I thought all dresses were the same! I mean, I obviously knew there was a difference between a summer dress and an evening gown... but everything in between looks the same to me! How did I miss these nuances!!! What if I've been committing fashion faux pas all my life?!!!1!1

u1HyP3ujiNQ88.gif

Okay, I may be exaggerating. But I have a few dresses at home now and I don't know if any of them are appropriate. I'd rather not buy something new because dress clothes shopping for short people is a major PITA and I'm extraordinarily picky. I mean I guess I could buy something but I don't especially want to, you know? 

Halp pls. 

I'm going with a fairly simple floor length black dress. Easily dressed up. My husband will be wearing a black suit.

I'd imagine tea length or floor length and modest cut would be expected. Cocktail length dresses don't really scream "formal" to me.

I'm going with a fairly simple floor length black dress. Easily dressed up. My husband will be wearing a black suit.

I'd imagine tea length or floor length and modest cut would be expected. Cocktail length dresses don't really scream "formal" to me.

Black dress sounds like a good idea! I guess because you could accessorize as much as you want? I think my problem is that I'm having a hard time figuring out what makes a dress formal versus semi-formal versus business. They mostly look the same to me unless they're full-length gowns, which I avoid because of my height. I have no idea what category my own dresses fit into... I just figured dress = fancy because I don't wear them often hahaha. 

I guess I should build up my special occasion wardrobe. Admittedly, I'm not too excited about it because: dresses are pretty damn expensive for the use I get out of them; the selection for short people sucks; and I usually prefer sleeved dresses (these are a rare breed when you account for the previous two issues). I should've started thinking about this months ago, maybe years ago! As it is, maybe I'll go shopping next weekend :P

Oh god. Lengths aren't just knee length and floor length? What is tea length and cocktail length?

Hahahaha, my reaction as well!

Black dress sounds like a good idea! I guess because you could accessorize as much as you want? I think my problem is that I'm having a hard time figuring out what makes a dress formal versus semi-formal versus business. They mostly look the same to me unless they're full-length gowns, which I avoid because of my height. I have no idea what category my own dresses fit into... I just figured dress = fancy because I don't wear them often hahaha. 

I guess I should build up my special occasion wardrobe. Admittedly, I'm not too excited about it because: dresses are pretty damn expensive for the use I get out of them; the selection for short people sucks; and I usually prefer sleeved dresses (these are a rare breed when you account for the previous two issues). I should've started thinking about this months ago, maybe years ago! As it is, maybe I'll go shopping next weekend :P

Hahahaha, my reaction as well!

I am both tall (ish. 5'8") and plus sized. Trust me, I understand having a hard time finding things to wear! Things are further complicated by having no balance, so I can't handle most heels. Falling on one's face is decidedly not fashionable, hah.

I've been building up my special occasion wardrobe myself. I am a country girl; business formal for a meeting is about as formal as I'd typically get, but we'll have many opportunities to dress up over the next few years, I imagine. My husband - who has never had anything more dressy than black slacks - got a nice, black, striped suit, a pair of calfskin brogues, and several interchangeable shirts, ties, and pocket squares so his one suit becomes like six different outfits and can be dressed up or down. If only it were that easy for women!

Why not call it shin length and thighs length then! This is too fancy for me. I'm just wearing a black dress.... I guess it's cocktail length then haha.

But then you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a mini (which touches the tops of the thighs) and a cocktail dress, or ankle-length vs. tea length. :-P

For someone who wears dresses very rarely, I know far too much about this crap!

LOL, I love dressing up! See, this is why Mac should have given me an interview. When I was in school I had a couple of friends who didn't do the dress thing, so I would just tell them to swing by my place before a formal and I would dress them, lol. 

I agree with Birdy that probably something that hits just below the knee or longer would be best. If you want to PM me a description or pic of dresses you already have I could give you an opinion or suggestion. This stuff is fun for me. 

I've been out in the working world long enough to have a good grasp of this stuff. That being said, I don't think the standards are too high for an end of orientation week formal. It's not the Met Ball ;)

I am both tall (ish. 5'8") and plus sized. Trust me, I understand having a hard time finding things to wear! Things are further complicated by having no balance, so I can't handle most heels. Falling on one's face is decidedly not fashionable, hah.

Yep, the struggles of falling outside average size! And I have the similar issues with heels but mine, I can trace back to spraining my ankle wearing platform sandals in the third grade, ha! I did wear kitten heels during interviews though, which felt like a huge accomplishment. :P

LOL, I love dressing up! See, this is why Mac should have given me an interview. When I was in school I had a couple of friends who didn't do the dress thing, so I would just tell them to swing by my place before a formal and I would dress them, lol. 

I agree with Birdy that probably something that hits just below the knee or longer would be best. If you want to PM me a description or pic of dresses you already have I could give you an opinion or suggestion. This stuff is fun for me. 

I've been out in the working world long enough to have a good grasp of this stuff. That being said, I don't think the standards are too high for an end of orientation week formal. It's not the Met Ball ;)

Thanks for the offer! I'm sure your friends really appreciated the advice too. Maybe you can mention your skills as a freelance stylist when you get an interview. ;) I agree though, shouldn't matter too much as long as it's not casual. 

Archived