Premed 101 Forums

Best University For Undergrad? (From Bc)

gopz

I really appreciate the help, guys.

I'm pretty set on going to Alberta for uni now, and my parents are fine with it after some convincing lol. However I'm about concerned that there won't be the same opportunities for research/ECs compared to a uni in Ontario (heard this a few times)-- will this be a problem?

Don't think so. UofA is a large school, I'm sure you would be able to do the same activites you would be doing at Ontario schools.

I really appreciate the help, guys.

I'm pretty set on going to Alberta for uni now, and my parents are fine with it after some convincing lol. However I'm about concerned that there won't be the same opportunities for research/ECs compared to a uni in Ontario (heard this a few times)-- will this be a problem?

Defs not true, UofA has good research usually top 5 in Canada.

How would you know if a place isn't right for you if you've never lived there? And why is trying to maximize your chances of admission by gaining IP in as many schools as possible "stupid"? And gaining IP is definitely not a "slight advantage" at all.

What I meant is that OP originally said they wanted to be close to family. Moving far away from family is not a good idea for lots of people.

Your right, you can't know if a place is right for you before you go, I just think people right out of high school should not pick their undergrad based on getting into med school. The transition is hard enough already, and there are so many other factors to consider. That's all I meant.

And they're already IP for BC so it's not really as much of an advantage. They wouldn't become IP for Calgary anyways unless they stayed in Alberta over the summers. Which might further contribute to not succeeding academically for the reasons described above.

What I meant is that OP originally said they wanted to be close to family. Moving far away from family is not a good idea for lots of people.

Your right, you can't know if a place is right for you before you go, I just think people right out of high school should not pick their undergrad based on getting into med school. The transition is hard enough already, and there are so many other factors to consider. That's all I meant.

And they're already IP for BC so it's not really as much of an advantage. They wouldn't become IP for Calgary anyways unless they stayed in Alberta over the summers. Which might further contribute to not succeeding academically for the reasons described above.

There's nothing wrong with trying to maximize your chances from the beginning. IP is a deal breaker for most applicants and can save many years of someone's life if they had IP and applied earlier. Yes the transition is hard but eventually you got to do it so you might as well get used to it. And IP for BC is a HUGE advantage!!!!!!!!!!! It's one of the best places to be IP next to Alberta. 

There's nothing wrong with trying to maximize your chances from the beginning. IP is a deal breaker for most applicants and can save many years of someone's life if they had IP and applied earlier. Yes the transition is hard but eventually you got to do it so you might as well get used to it. And IP for BC is a HUGE advantage!!!!!!!!!!! It's one of the best places to be IP next to Alberta.

Read again. They are alread IP for BC. Therefore my point.

I would also caution against saying "get used to it" to someone who is not ready to move away. They will get used to it, but it might be at the cost of a couple of years GPA, and and that point being IP won't help anyways. Not necessarily OP, but in general.

Archived