Premed 101 Forums

Getting Quebec Ip Status

mia1234

Hey Guys, so first time poster here.

I am an Ontario student who will be finishing up my undergrad in April 2015 and have been thinking about my options afterwards if I do not get admitted to a med school for the next year. So my big question is, is it worth it to move to Montreal for a year during my gap year to gain IP status and apply to mcgill as a Quebec resident. 

Just for general idea of my application if everything goes well this year:

cGPA: ~ 3.81 MCAT: 32 EC's: average few research positions, 2 years of EM shadowing, etc. 

Also if I do decide to make this big move, does anyone really have an idea of how hard it would be to get a decent job in mtl without french, though decent being a relative term I was hoping something along the lines of research assistant position maybe at a mcgill lab. 

Would you say my GPA is worth the move? I know the average tends to be around 3.8 but would I need stellar EC's to make the gamble on moving. If I do work for a year in Montreal, I do plan to have other commitments that I could add to my list of EC's. Essentially how keen do you think Mcgill on its extra curricular involvement when evaluating an applicant? 

Well i as originally thinking of a 5th year, but realised if my 4th year grades follow a similar trend to last year, it wouldnt be worth taking the risk of a 5th year with another 10 courses. Other than that it was a possible masters, but considering for many schools you have to have completed your masters if you start it before starting med school, I am not so eager on locking myself away from applying for 2-3 years. A final option was to start a part time masters in Montreal. Though this would stop me from applying to a few Ontario schools, the whole process of becoming an IP takes about 1.5 years so at least im getting 2 things done together. So after 2 years I can apply to the ontario schools and be IP for mcgill. These were kind of the options I was looking at and evaluating. 

Would you say my GPA is worth the move? I know the average tends to be around 3.8 but would I need stellar EC's to make the gamble on moving. If I do work for a year in Montreal, I do plan to have other commitments that I could add to my list of EC's. Essentially how keen do you think Mcgill on its extra curricular involvement when evaluating an applicant?

You haven't listed much info about your ECs, so it's hard to say. McGill is quite focussed on ECs and your essay. I know of many people with strong grades and decent ECs who did not get interviews. That said, I don't know if there are better places to move... Maybe in province in Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, sask or Manitoba? Med is getting competitive everywhere, though certainly more favourable outside of Ontario. I know Dalhousie interviewed a crazy number of in province this year, making admission highly competitive there as well.

Note that while you don't need French to be admitted at McGill, you are expected to be functional by clerkship. If you move, might as well get started on those French lessons.

You haven't listed much info about your ECs, so it's hard to say. McGill is quite focussed on ECs and your essay. I know of many people with strong grades and decent ECs who did not get interviews. That said, I don't know if there are better places to move... Maybe in province in Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, sask or Manitoba? Med is getting competitive everywhere, though certainly more favourable outside of Ontario. I know Dalhousie interviewed a crazy number of in province this year, making admission highly competitive there as well.

Note that while you don't need French to be admitted at McGill, you are expected to be functional by clerkship. If you move, might as well get started on those French lessons.

More competitive? Not sure if it's entirely true. The only school I can think of is UofT that has followed this trend of getting harder each year. On the other hand, I think schools are adopting other forms of measure that give students with lower GPAs a chance. Ottawa and UBC are an example. CASPER might give those with 3.85-3.9s interviews and UBC now accounts EC for 50% IIRC.

OP IMO it's worth it. You are in the GPA range and MCAT for McGill. You also have year to build ECs.

Im considering the move cause as you say, i do feel even by just the number of applicants alone most other places out side of Ontario have more favorable odds. Ive looked into quebec and Alberta but it seemed like due to both schools in alberta regarding one's ECs highly pre-interview, Mcgill seemed more of a better bet. My 3rd year was a 3.96 and hoping 4th year goes the same. If so i do have favorable chance at a few Ontario schools like Western or Ottawa (atleast in terms of GPA). The move is more to open up another option during my gap year if I don't deem doing a 5th year worth the risks.  

Just don't want to move there without a job or anything. Would like to make use of the gap year as Wartortle said and build up my ECs. Unsure though if getting a decent lab would be possible, especially without the french. I think if that were more of a possibility it would make it more of an easier choice. Just got to start applying to jobs now I guess. 

More competitive? Not sure if it's entirely true. The only school I can think of is UofT that has followed this trend of getting harder each year. On the other hand, I think schools are adopting other forms of measure that give students with lower GPAs a chance. Ottawa and UBC are an example. CASPER might give those with 3.85-3.9s interviews and UBC now accounts EC for 50% IIRC.

OP IMO it's worth it. You are in the GPA range and MCAT for McGill. You also have year to build ECs.

Very true. I suppose I meant more competitive in terms of number of applicants, which I do think has grown greatly in nearly every province. While the number of spots has also increased, it still seems that the odds are decreasing. More people = harder to get noticed.

Very true. I suppose I meant more competitive in terms of number of applicants, which I do think has grown greatly in nearly every province. While the number of spots has also increased, it still seems that the odds are decreasing. More people = harder to get noticed.

You are definitely right about more applicants. Sorry about misunderstanding your post. ????

• 3 weeks later...

i don't think you can live in montreal for only your gap year to be considered in province. i think you need to have lived in montreal (not as a student) for a year prior to submitting your application. they became more stringent above gaining IP status several years ago. your GPA is probably fine but you do need stellar ECs. McGill has really diversified their classes in the last few years. Anything that makes you stand out is a huge bonus. 

• 3 weeks later...

It's really hard to get a job here. I have been at mcgill for undergrad + masters, lived here for 7 years, intermediate french and job hunting for 6 months now. tons of contacts, really solid CV. 10 interviews so far in 6 months (and consistent feedback that i'm an excellent candidate but i'm just not the right fit). Just graduated 2 months ago. Will likely have to move back to toronto. I would move to a province where the job market is significantly better and you can get in province status (namely alberta). Also pay is SHIT here. for a job that would pay $25-30/hr in a different province, it would be $15-20 in montreal cuz the market is SO BAD. Unemployment rate is high (10% approx). 

• 1 month later...

You need to have lived in Quebec for at least one year without being a full time student before the day the November deadline for applications.

Perhaps you can clarify something for me:

Will I qualify as In-Province if I live in Quebec for at least one year without being a full time student at a Quebec university, but an Ontario University? My friend recently got married and bought a house in Hull/Gatineau - I am moving into their basement apartment and am currently an Ontario resident and a full time university student in Ottawa. The commute is 15-20 mins to campus.

The following McGill link says:

http://www.mcgill.ca/legaldocuments/quebec/situation6

Situation 6. You resided in Quebec for one year and did not study full-time at a Quebec educational institution.

Premise: You resided in Quebec for 12 consecutive months of the 18 months preceding the start of the academic session for which you are applying for Quebec resident tuition rates. You did not pursue full-time studies at any Quebec CEGEP or university (or combination of institutions) for the above reference period (grades of W count) during the above reference period.

------------------------------

However, if you go to the following link http://www.mcgill.ca/legaldocuments/forms and scroll down, you see a similar description that mentions full time studies in general, not necessarily Quebec institutions:

Guide:

Under definition and #5: Quebec is the last place where the student has resided for 12 consecutive months without pursuing full-time studies during that period. 

scroll down more and you see:

k) Residing in Quebec for 12 months prior to the beginning of the semester and not having studied full-time during that 12-month period. 

---

Thanks

Perhaps you can clarify something for me:

Will I qualify as In-Province if I live in Quebec for at least one year without being a full time student at a Quebec university, but an Ontario University? My friend recently got married and bought a house in Hull/Gatineau - I am moving into their basement apartment and am currently an Ontario resident and a full time university student in Ottawa. The commute is 15-20 mins to campus.

The following McGill link says:

http://www.mcgill.ca/legaldocuments/quebec/situation6

Situation 6. You resided in Quebec for one year and did not study full-time at a Quebec educational institution.

Premise: You resided in Quebec for 12 consecutive months of the 18 months preceding the start of the academic session for which you are applying for Quebec resident tuition rates. You did not pursue full-time studies at any Quebec CEGEP or university (or combination of institutions) for the above reference period (grades of W count) during the above reference period.

------------------------------

However, if you go to the following link http://www.mcgill.ca/legaldocuments/forms and scroll down, you see a similar description that mentions full time studies in general, not necessarily Quebec institutions:

Guide:

Under definition and #5: Quebec is the last place where the student has resided for 12 consecutive months without pursuing full-time studies during that period. 

scroll down more and you see:

k) Residing in Quebec for 12 months prior to the beginning of the semester and not having studied full-time during that 12-month period. 

---

Thanks

that's confusing.  I don't know. you best ask the ministry of education and the schools  you're interested in applying to about that. 

residency requirement are slightly different between ministries (health, education and transportation)

for mcgill this is the attestation form you have to fill in order to claim situation 6: http://www.mcgill.ca/legaldocuments/files/legaldocuments/qc_attestation_forms_2014-04.pdf

along with the sworn statement: http://www.mcgill.ca/legaldocuments/files/legaldocuments/sworn_stat_6_2.pdf

both of which specify quebec institution.

However, you'd still want to check your status with the ministry of education to make sure they'll recognize you as a QC resident

oh and unless you have a lease from your friends, you also need this: http://www.mcgill.ca/legaldocuments/files/legaldocuments/landlord_attestation.pdf

Archived