Premed 101 Forums

Increasing My Gpa Vs. Improving Cv?

Hi everyone,

I'll apply to McGill Med when the application opens up and since the deadline is November 2nd, I have ~ 2 months to improve my CV. I have been doing volunteering (friendly visiting) at a hospital for ~ 2 years now, first aid team during cegep, volunteered at a nursing home for a summer, worked at a clothing store for another summer. I'm an anat student at mcgill with a 3.75 GPA (pretty low T_T). I'm IP. Overall, both my CV and GPA are below average...

I got an offer at a McGill Lab to be a research assistant but the time commitment is ~15 hrs/week. If I take on the job, I don't think I'll be able to improve my GPA, it'll probably stay the same. If I don't take the job, I believe I can improve my GPA to 3.8 so I'll be a bit more competitive if I apply next year. 

Should I maximize my chances this year by improving my cv (since my gpa is set in stone for this year) or think in the long run and improve my GPA first and then my resume later on for next year's (and the subsequent ones) application? 

What are your thoughts? 

Thank you!

Hey, I would say that you could take the lab job with less hours and try to increase your GPA. If you could negotiate your number of hours with your director, that would be great. If you are remunerated, I guess that it is more difficult. If you are a volunteer, I think that it is reasonable that you commit less than 10 hours per week.

For your GPA, the average GPA of IP is 3.8 I think. McGill does give a lot of importance to C.V and personal statement. I know a few people with amazing GPA who did not get invited for interviews at McGill.  If I understand correctly, you are applying this cycle and you are finishing your undergrad. So your grades in the fall will not be taken into consideration into your med applications. 

If you are applying to the French schools as well, then try to improve your GPA. Since French schools do not ask for C.V or personal statement. 

Hi everyone,

I'll apply to McGill Med when the application opens up and since the deadline is November 2nd, I have ~ 2 months to improve my CV. I have been doing volunteering (friendly visiting) at a hospital for ~ 2 years now, first aid team during cegep, volunteered at a nursing home for a summer, worked at a clothing store for another summer, data collection at depression clinic for a Marketing/Management research this summer. I'm an anat student at mcgill with a 3.75 GPA (pretty low T_T). I'm IP. Overall, both my CV and GPA are below average...

I got an offer at a McGill Lab to be a research assistant but the time commitment is ~15 hrs/week. If I take on the job, I don't think I'll be able to improve my GPA, it'll probably stay the same. If I don't take the job, I believe I can improve my GPA to 3.8 so I'll be a bit more competitive if I apply next year. 

Should I maximize my chances this year by improving my cv (since my gpa is set in stone for this year) or think in the long run and improve my GPA first and then my resume later on for next year's (and the subsequent ones) application? 

What are your thoughts? 

Thank you!

It depends on whether you plan to put all your eggs in one basket. Talking from experience McGill really values the strength of your CV and letter (my cGPA was way lower than yours and I spent 5 years buffing up my CV, which had nothing impressive at the time, in order to get an offer). I know others who were in the same situation as me and they got in. If those are really strong then a 3.75 is just fine and a 0.05 boost probably won't make that much of a difference in my opinion. Other schools however use the cGPA as the tell all of a students abilities.

Hey OP,

If you want to maximize your chance for McGill Med this cycle, then try to improve your C.V and write an amazing and unique personal statement. I think that McGill gives quite an emphasis to C.V and personal statement, and the GPA does not matter that much (a person with 3.9 won't get necessarily get invited to interview than a person with 3.7 GPA). This does not seem to be the case for UofToronto (the average GPA is 3.9) and some Canadian medical schools. I am speaking this from personal experience, I have known people with 31-33 R score who got admitted to Mcgill premed program, and I am certain that there are people who got admitted to IP university category with 3.75 GPA .

If you want to maximize your chance for all 4 medical faculties in Quebec, then I suggest to focus on GPA. Since the GPA is the important factor for French medical school admissions (and 50% MMI performance of course). 

If you want to make sure that you will have a better chance in the next cycle, then you could always focus on your GPA and improve on your ECs later. 

Hi everyone,

I'll apply to McGill Med when the application opens up and since the deadline is November 2nd, I have ~ 2 months to improve my CV. I have been doing volunteering (friendly visiting) at a hospital for ~ 2 years now, first aid team during cegep, volunteered at a nursing home for a summer, worked at a clothing store for another summer, data collection at depression clinic for a Marketing/Management research this summer. I'm an anat student at mcgill with a 3.75 GPA (pretty low T_T). I'm IP. Overall, both my CV and GPA are below average...

What are your thoughts? 

Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...

My two cents: if you're IP, your highest chances are McGill and the french universities. 3.75 or 3.8 won't make much of a difference for McGill, it's all about how you present yourself through your application (Transcript, CV, personal statement). 3.75 or 3.8 also will not make much a difference for the french ones, but will make more of a difference than McGill, because they will convert your GPA to a score depending on your program's difficulty. No matter how you slice it, 3.75 or 3.8 is on the lower end for ANAT, so you'll end up with a lower score than a 3.75 in nutrition, for example. (sorry) The strength of your CV is not solely dependent on content, but also what you can show that you learned from said experiences. It's not all about impressive titles. So if you feel confident enough that you can have a solid application with the research position, go for it. If not, raise your GPA as much as you can and try again later if you don't get in this year. 

If it were me, I would try to, both, improve my CV and GPA at the same time. 

Ps. Sorry if my post doesn't make much sense, I know it's all over the place but I don't have the energy to read over it lol.