Premed 101 Forums

Becoming A Doctor With Add?

danceislife

Hello Everyone,

I have known that I have ADD for almost a year now, and today was the first time I told my parents that I wanted to get help. I've always known I was different since I was a young kid, but never got to put a name to it until almost a year ago when I googled "why do I daydream so much?". Sure enough, websites regarding ADHD came up and since then my inability to focus and listen and really do anything through to the finish has gotten worse. I have made an appointment with my GP for Monday to discuss my options and see where I get referred and such (assuming I will get referred to someone). I am really hoping to be put on medication because the reason I finally told my parents that I need to see someone is because I almost got my friend into a car accident because I zoned out and didn't realize what I was being asked of. Details aside, do any pre-med's here and or medical students or doctors have ADHD/ ADD. Can I still become a doctor if I get this treated now as I am in grade 12? Does anyone take medication for it? Any tips for keeping focus in lectures/ studying? I know that I do not have the hyperactive side of ADHD but the predominantly inattentive/ kind of impulsive type, so it really hinders my academic success. Thanks in advance. 

Hello Everyone,

I have known that I have ADD for almost a year now, and today was the first time I told my parents that I wanted to get help. I've always known I was different since I was a young kid, but never got to put a name to it until almost a year ago when I googled "why do I daydream so much?". Sure enough, websites regarding ADHD came up and since then my inability to focus and listen and really do anything through to the finish has gotten worse. I have made an appointment with my GP for Monday to discuss my options and see where I get referred and such (assuming I will get referred to someone). I am really hoping to be put on medication because the reason I finally told my parents that I need to see someone is because I almost got my friend into a car accident because I zoned out and didn't realize what I was being asked of. Details aside, do any pre-med's here and or medical students or doctors have ADHD/ ADD. Can I still become a doctor if I get this treated now as I am in grade 12? Does anyone take medication for it? Any tips for keeping focus in lectures/ studying? I know that I do not have the hyperactive side of ADHD but the predominantly inattentive/ kind of impulsive type, so it really hinders my academic success. Thanks in advance. 

So, before anything else, wait to see your family physician before jumping to conclusions. Self-diagnoses of ADHD are not that reliable - the criteria for a diagnosis are rather non-specific and almost anyone without ADD can massage their answers to come up with a positive result. There also may be alternative explanations to what you've experienced that you may not have thought of. People with controlled ADHD can become physicians, but in your case, it's a bit premature to be discussing management until you have a diagnosis. Go see your physician and proceed from there.

Archived