Premed 101 Forums

Is It Possible To Finish Med School Without Becoming Too Salty Or Cynical?

Just now, rmorelan said:

ha :) This is true. 

Speaking as someone with exactly one final call shift left doing call vs not doing call would fell better. 

(there will be cake - it will not be a lie).

Holy shit, I know I keep saying this, but I can't believe you're a PGY5 now.  I remember seeing you in the hallway on your match day.  I was an MS2 and it all felt super far away.

Now I'm a PGY3 and starting to get bitter.  Though, I think once I finish my current rotation I'll be much better.

Just now, ellorie said:

Holy shit, I know I keep saying this, but I can't believe you're a PGY5 now.  I remember seeing you in the hallway on your match day.  I was an MS2 and it all felt super far away.

Now I'm a PGY3 and starting to get bitter.  Though, I think once I finish my current rotation I'll be much better.

oh that match day - probably the most stressful day in my life due to that computer glitch :)

It is odd being this close to being done (while you are basically 1/2 done now - which is still getting a long there for sure). Year 13 of 15 for me ha

Not doing sleep deprived all nighters makes huge difference. I don't even have any of those in my fellowship. 

Take care though - as you know this is a tough gig! 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Well I've got 4.5 weeks of clinical training left, and I've got to say, I'm neither salty nor cynical. While I have my moments, attitude-wise I'm still kind of absurdly happy about my place in medicine and looking forward to residency. I know I can't fix everything, or even most things, but I take a lot of joy in the little interactions with my patients in those few times where they do make a difference.  I feel like I've been useful at times, have learned a lot, and think I'll make a pretty decent doc. 

Still super glad I did this. While I don't love it every day, I do most days. Still pending Match results, though. So maybe my optimism will shrivel up and die on Thursday.

4 minutes ago, Birdy said:

Well I've got 4.5 weeks of clinical training left, and I've got to say, I'm neither salty nor cynical. While I have my moments, attitude-wise I'm still kind of absurdly happy about my place in medicine and looking forward to residency. I know I can't fix everything, or even most things, but I take a lot of joy in the little interactions with my patients in those few times where they do make a difference.  I feel like I've been useful at times, have learned a lot, and think I'll make a pretty decent doc. 

Still super glad I did this. While I don't love it every day, I do most days. Still pending Match results, though. So maybe my optimism will shrivel up and die on Thursday.

Good luck, Birdy !! :) I genuinely hope you will get what you want at your desired location on Thursday :) 

1 hour ago, Birdy said:

Residency is truly what you make it to be. There are ups and downs but for me there were far more ups than downs. I felt like by the end of residency I truly felt like a doctor. You look back on all that work that you put in in undergrad, in preparing for the interviews, in doing those interviews, that elated moment when you find out you're going to med school, and then putting 4 years of hard work in med school and then another 2-5+ years in residency. Your job involves constant learning, a propensity for curiosity, making connections with people from all walks of life, and job security and a comfortable income. I wouldn't trade my life right now for any other.

21 hours ago, Birdy said:

Good luck tomorrow!  

Maybe youre one of the rare people who take it all in stride and are happy throughout haha.  I don't know what you applied to, but if you match to family you probably will finish without it getting too much worse.  I have much less faith if you match to a 5y program, where the 1st and 5th years are basically terrible for everyone, and the middle years are also bad for surgeons.  (Sorry but having finished residency last year I bristled a bit at the "4 weeks of clinical training left" haha, I did a 5 year program and being done clerkship is like being done the first quarter of a basketball game)

14 minutes ago, MD_2021 said:

I feel like everyone around me is trying too hard to fake happiness. It's like everyone is too scared to show any sign of weakness.

Everyone needs to let loose a little and speak out about their frustrations with med school.

Ha! This is why I'm visibly and audibly salty around clerks. Parts of medical education - both medical school and residency - suck, a lot! Doesn't mean we should ignore the good parts or walk around sullen all the time, but half the reason the sucky parts of medical training continue to be sucky is that we treat it like it's a secret. And as you say, even beyond changing things, acknowledging the sucky parts makes them easier to get through.

51 minutes ago, MD_2021 said:

I feel like everyone around me is trying too hard to fake happiness. It's like everyone is too scared to show any sign of weakness.

Everyone needs to let loose a little and speak out about their frustrations with med school.

In theory, people should, however be careful of people with ulterior motives. Speak tet a tet, sotto voce, piano piano.

1 hour ago, goleafsgochris said:

Good luck tomorrow!  

Maybe youre one of the rare people who take it all in stride and are happy throughout haha.  I don't know what you applied to, but if you match to family you probably will finish without it getting too much worse.  I have much less faith if you match to a 5y program, where the 1st and 5th years are basically terrible for everyone, and the middle years are also bad for surgeons.  (Sorry but having finished residency last year I bristled a bit at the "4 weeks of clinical training left" haha, I did a 5 year program and being done clerkship is like being done the first quarter of a basketball game)

Thanks. 

Applied to family, so we’ll see. 

I should have added “in med school” after my comment about how much clinical training I have left. Definitely a lot more to go. 

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 8/10/2018 at 5:18 PM, Arztin said:

I finished med school very salty and cynical, way more than I expected. Now as a resident, I'm definitely better in this regard.

I think it depends a lot on our personality and our experiences.

Care to elaborate? What made you salty and cynical? How did it got better?

• 1 year later...

Just checking in after starting med school; I am not yet cynical, but I already have a bit of disillusionment in healthcare (re my nursing background). However, since I know what to expect and that it won't be all roses and daffodils, I have high hopes that I won't get salty or cynical by the time I graduate.

I'll check back in after graduation, wish me luck!

(P.S. I loved this thread)

• 1 year later...

Seeing as I only have 3 weeks left of med school (!), I thought I’d go ahead and answer this. I don’t feel that med school has made me salty or cynical at all. In fact, I think it’s made me abundantly more grateful for my health and my family, and progressively more grateful for being in medicine and having the privilege of doing what we do. I’ve honestly found med school to be a fun and exciting journey, meeting so many wonderful people and patients. I’m feeling sad now that it’s coming to an end.

I do feel that it’s opened my eyes so much more to the suffering that people go through and the horrible life circumstances that some people have, as well as many of the inefficiencies within our healthcare system, and there have been times and cases when I’ve felt down about that, and times of exhaustion and stress.

I think I went in expecting it to be hard and knowing that the process can make you cynical and less empathetic, and because of that, I was better prepared for the challenging parts and protected my self-care measures. I know residency will be a new challenge, but I’m excited for it and so grateful to be here. :)

I think it's more that one get cynical about society because you get to deal with all kinds of people and their problems. Also you get to deal with people who have a lot of problems or problems that can never be resolved. Not to mention the design of the healthcare system.

I am sure if you work as a divorce lawyer or debt collection agent or jail ward you probably get cynical too after getting to know your clients and the flaws of the respective systems they deal with.

Of course I am very grateful for everything the other OPs have mentioned. It's all balance and perspective.

On 3/23/2021 at 7:31 AM, MDinCanada said:

About to finish med school, feeling much more salty and cynical than I expected. However, it might be because of my specific program since a lot of my cohort feels the same way.

I'm wondering, why do you guys feel salty & cynical?

--

• 1 month later...