Jump to content
Premed 101 Forums

Is It Possible To Finish Med School Without Becoming Too Salty Or Cynical?


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Absolutely not. People are bastard coated bastards with bastard filling.    If you ever find a happy resident find out who their dealer is.

Can confirm. Finished med school, still not salty or cynical. That was a lot of fun. 

I'm now an attending out 5 years since fellowship.    It's tough not to have your cynical moments in medicine.  I think there's a major shift in cynicism throughout medical school.  I think there's

Just now, rmorelan said:

ha :) This is true. 

Speaking as someone with exactly one final call shift left doing call vs not doing call would fell better. 

(there will be cake - it will not be a lie).

Holy shit, I know I keep saying this, but I can't believe you're a PGY5 now.  I remember seeing you in the hallway on your match day.  I was an MS2 and it all felt super far away.

Now I'm a PGY3 and starting to get bitter.  Though, I think once I finish my current rotation I'll be much better.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ellorie said:

Holy shit, I know I keep saying this, but I can't believe you're a PGY5 now.  I remember seeing you in the hallway on your match day.  I was an MS2 and it all felt super far away.

Now I'm a PGY3 and starting to get bitter.  Though, I think once I finish my current rotation I'll be much better.

oh that match day - probably the most stressful day in my life due to that computer glitch :)

It is odd being this close to being done (while you are basically 1/2 done now - which is still getting a long there for sure). Year 13 of 15 for me ha

Not doing sleep deprived all nighters makes huge difference. I don't even have any of those in my fellowship. 

Take care though - as you know this is a tough gig! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Well I've got 4.5 weeks of clinical training left, and I've got to say, I'm neither salty nor cynical. While I have my moments, attitude-wise I'm still kind of absurdly happy about my place in medicine and looking forward to residency. I know I can't fix everything, or even most things, but I take a lot of joy in the little interactions with my patients in those few times where they do make a difference.  I feel like I've been useful at times, have learned a lot, and think I'll make a pretty decent doc. 

Still super glad I did this. While I don't love it every day, I do most days. Still pending Match results, though. So maybe my optimism will shrivel up and die on Thursday.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Birdy said:

Well I've got 4.5 weeks of clinical training left, and I've got to say, I'm neither salty nor cynical. While I have my moments, attitude-wise I'm still kind of absurdly happy about my place in medicine and looking forward to residency. I know I can't fix everything, or even most things, but I take a lot of joy in the little interactions with my patients in those few times where they do make a difference.  I feel like I've been useful at times, have learned a lot, and think I'll make a pretty decent doc. 

Still super glad I did this. While I don't love it every day, I do most days. Still pending Match results, though. So maybe my optimism will shrivel up and die on Thursday.

Good luck, Birdy !! :) I genuinely hope you will get what you want at your desired location on Thursday :) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Birdy said:

Well I've got 4.5 weeks of clinical training left, and I've got to say, I'm neither salty nor cynical. While I have my moments, attitude-wise I'm still kind of absurdly happy about my place in medicine and looking forward to residency. I know I can't fix everything, or even most things, but I take a lot of joy in the little interactions with my patients in those few times where they do make a difference.  I feel like I've been useful at times, have learned a lot, and think I'll make a pretty decent doc. 

Still super glad I did this. While I don't love it every day, I do most days. Still pending Match results, though. So maybe my optimism will shrivel up and die on Thursday.

Residency is truly what you make it to be. There are ups and downs but for me there were far more ups than downs. I felt like by the end of residency I truly felt like a doctor. You look back on all that work that you put in in undergrad, in preparing for the interviews, in doing those interviews, that elated moment when you find out you're going to med school, and then putting 4 years of hard work in med school and then another 2-5+ years in residency. Your job involves constant learning, a propensity for curiosity, making connections with people from all walks of life, and job security and a comfortable income. I wouldn't trade my life right now for any other.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Birdy said:

Well I've got 4.5 weeks of clinical training left, and I've got to say, I'm neither salty nor cynical. While I have my moments, attitude-wise I'm still kind of absurdly happy about my place in medicine and looking forward to residency. I know I can't fix everything, or even most things, but I take a lot of joy in the little interactions with my patients in those few times where they do make a difference.  I feel like I've been useful at times, have learned a lot, and think I'll make a pretty decent doc. 

Still super glad I did this. While I don't love it every day, I do most days. Still pending Match results, though. So maybe my optimism will shrivel up and die on Thursday.

Good luck tomorrow!  

Maybe youre one of the rare people who take it all in stride and are happy throughout haha.  I don't know what you applied to, but if you match to family you probably will finish without it getting too much worse.  I have much less faith if you match to a 5y program, where the 1st and 5th years are basically terrible for everyone, and the middle years are also bad for surgeons.  (Sorry but having finished residency last year I bristled a bit at the "4 weeks of clinical training left" haha, I did a 5 year program and being done clerkship is like being done the first quarter of a basketball game)

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, MD_2021 said:

I feel like everyone around me is trying too hard to fake happiness. It's like everyone is too scared to show any sign of weakness.

Everyone needs to let loose a little and speak out about their frustrations with med school.

Ha! This is why I'm visibly and audibly salty around clerks. Parts of medical education - both medical school and residency - suck, a lot! Doesn't mean we should ignore the good parts or walk around sullen all the time, but half the reason the sucky parts of medical training continue to be sucky is that we treat it like it's a secret. And as you say, even beyond changing things, acknowledging the sucky parts makes them easier to get through.

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, MD_2021 said:

I feel like everyone around me is trying too hard to fake happiness. It's like everyone is too scared to show any sign of weakness.

Everyone needs to let loose a little and speak out about their frustrations with med school.

In theory, people should, however be careful of people with ulterior motives. Speak tet a tet, sotto voce, piano piano.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, goleafsgochris said:

Good luck tomorrow!  

Maybe youre one of the rare people who take it all in stride and are happy throughout haha.  I don't know what you applied to, but if you match to family you probably will finish without it getting too much worse.  I have much less faith if you match to a 5y program, where the 1st and 5th years are basically terrible for everyone, and the middle years are also bad for surgeons.  (Sorry but having finished residency last year I bristled a bit at the "4 weeks of clinical training left" haha, I did a 5 year program and being done clerkship is like being done the first quarter of a basketball game)

Thanks. 

Applied to family, so we’ll see. 

 

I should have added “in med school” after my comment about how much clinical training I have left. Definitely a lot more to go. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Just checking in after starting med school; I am not yet cynical, but I already have a bit of disillusionment in healthcare (re my nursing background). However, since I know what to expect and that it won't be all roses and daffodils, I have high hopes that I won't get salty or cynical by the time I graduate.

I'll check back in after graduation, wish me luck!

(P.S. I loved this thread)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...