Premed 101 Forums

Radiology Elective Etiquette

Please offer some advice to help elective students make the best impression in their upcoming electives. I've heard of too many stories of well-meaning and competent med students shooting themselves in the foot because they weren't aware of these hidden rules, so to speak.

1. I argue the most important rule is to NEVER EVER show up a resident. Do not show up any resident in any setting whatsoever; not in rounds, not when reviewing, not in the hallway, never anywhere. During rounds, when a resident is getting pimped and you know the answer, do not speak. When the resident is reviewing and is pimped and you know the answer, do not speak. If you are pimped directly by the staff after a resident before you got it wrong, I would even suggest that you play dumb and say you don't know.

If you are the first to be pimped, by all means answer it. If you are pimped the same question after another medical student, that's okay too. In these situations, ONLY ANSWER IF YOU ARE ASKED DIRECTLY. Never under any circumstances should you answer a question directed to a crowd.

Of course you can see that if you follow these rules, the opportunities where you can show off your knowledge is significantly reduced. However, the few times that you do get to safely answer questions are sufficient for the staff and residents to get a general idea of where you stand. If you know your stuff, it will come across during the two weeks because you absorb material quicker and ask higher level questions. You do more harm to yourself if you force your own opportunities.

I'm curious to see how other residents feel about this rule.

2. Near the end of the day, when the staff or resident says you can go, for god's sake leave. It's not a trap. Don't offer to stay if you have no reason to stay. The staff/resident probably has a ton of work to do. Politely excuse yourself and gtfo.

This had never occurred to me. Mind you, at my CaRMS interview in my specialty, the Panel of 6 included one of my residents who did like me professionally and as a person, and if anything, this helped. Another physician with whom I interacted was also on the Panel, and this helped too. With 40 interviewees for 3 spots, apparently I had 2 in my corner going in, and I had a great interview. Accordingly, I don't know what advice to give.

In general, be the kind of person someone would enjoy working closely with day in and day out. Pleasant, socially aware, team player, interested yet not pushy, knowledgeable and helpful, appreciative of others' help.

Point #1 simply relates to putting yourself in someone else's shoes, and being sensitive to others' feelings. Performance in rounds and readouts are often how residents are informally evaluated. In a supportive program, one might actually see residents whispering answers to others in the hot seat, so someone jumping in out of turn with an answer would be potentially perceived as trying to make themselves look good at the expense of others.

That being said, I would not necessarily advise someone to pretend not to know something when asked directly - just be tactful, erring on the side of being a bit tentative rather than self-satisfied (e.g. could it be ----?), and mention that it was something that you had just been taught by so-and-so, if that is the case. I do feel this is where the culture of radiology differs a bit from other clerkship rotations. On IM and surgery, I felt that if one did not jump in to answer questions posed to the group, it would be taken as a sign of lack of interest or knowledge.

With regards to #2, usually if you are offered to leave, it is because the educational portion of the day is over. However, in one instance, I have offered a student to leave early when they were clearly showing no signs of interest (nodding off unapologetically, staring off into space when being shown a case, zero questions). Make sure this isn't you. If you have made your interest in the elective clear, and you have been told there is nothing coming up that might be of value to see (e.g. on-call procedures), then go. Don't forget to thank the person you were sitting with for whatever effort they put into your day.

Archived