Premed 101 Forums

Psych Research For Ug?

youdoctoryet

Hey, I'm a 2nd year UG who has been accepted to volunteer in a research lab close to me. It focuses on communication and hearing, so it's a bit of neuro but mostly psych. 

I really am interested in any kind of research. The PI and PDFs seem really nice and I like the environment but I was wondering about the med school application aspect of this. Should I apply to more "medically related" research labs or stick with this one? Would research in psych (but kinda neuro) even be a plus on my app? 

also disclaimer - I'm not just doing research for my application. I genuinely am interested in it, but I wanted to make sure that the research I contribute to is one that I can talk about in my application/interview. 

Thanks for your help! 

I think psych/neuro research is totally fine. Might even set you apart a bit if everyone else studied stem cells or the like (not to say there's anything wrong with that!!) I think med schools care more about the skills you learned during research than the actual topic you studied.

As said countless times, follow your interests :)

Hey, I'm a 2nd year UG who has been accepted to volunteer in a research lab close to me. It focuses on communication and hearing, so it's a bit of neuro but mostly psych. 

I really am interested in any kind of research. The PI and PDFs seem really nice and I like the environment but I was wondering about the med school application aspect of this. Should I apply to more "medically related" research labs or stick with this one? Would research in psych (but kinda neuro) even be a plus on my app? 

also disclaimer - I'm not just doing research for my application. I genuinely am interested in it, but I wanted to make sure that the research I contribute to is one that I can talk about in my application/interview. 

Thanks for your help! 

I worked in 3 different labs during my undergrad, 2/3 were psych. If it interests you stick with it because so many aspects of psychology show up in medicine and the admissions committees do acknowledge this fact. Additionally, just being involved with research in general is good for your application and should be included because there are personal skills (e.g. curiosity, critical thinking, etc.) that are fostered.

Archived