Premed 101 Forums

Thoughts Of Casper For Uottawa?

is there any way of taking a practice CASPer? other than the sample test provided

You can buy a test, but I wouldn't recommend this. Try and find a friend who is willing to prepare with you and get them to make practice questions. Exchange answers and give feedback under timed simulated conditions. It's honestly just as effective, and bonus points if you can get a med student to help you out. 

Its totally ok to buy it, I did and while it wasn't really super representative of what it was like on the test, I also didn't know many people who could have helped give me questions. Its a bit of money but it can go a long way and I certainly would not start going cheap at this point in the process. If you think about it, the amount of money you've spent getting here absolutely dwarfs the amount of money you can spend on practice tests. Obviously don't go overboard, I only bought a few but its good practice to prepare you for the real thing. 

Hey guys!

For those of you who have not written the CASPer yet, don't worry. This is definitely a stressful test, but you have to remember that the people grading it are not looking for perfect answers. They want to get a better sense of who YOU are as a person. The best advice I can give you is to be yourself, know your experiences and most importantly be honest. They realize that there is a major time crunch, but they do this purposely so that you don't have to think about a "perfect" answer. As much as this is about critical reasoning, it is just as much about personality. You will all do great! Don't try to over prepare. If anything practice the timing, because that's the most difficult part.

Good luck every one :) Stay positive! This is your chance to show them who you are.

Anybody know of any actual French CASPer practice tests? I've been reading a lot in French, and will begin typing answers to questions in French…but it would be nice to actually practice. 

Of those of you who wrote the test on October 18th, how was it? (I am writing on the 29th) 

It went alright (I hope). Second time doing it. Hopefully that's a charm.

is there any way of taking a practice CASPer? other than the sample test provided

I did a full length CASPer test from Casper sim after the real test and I found the questions very similar to my test on the 18th. I'm sure the questions are going to change for those on the 29th but I wish I had known about the casper sim practice tests beforehand. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Hey guys!

For those of you who have not written the CASPer yet, don't worry. This is definitely a stressful test, but you have to remember that the people grading it are not looking for perfect answers. They want to get a better sense of who YOU are as a person. The best advice I can give you is to be yourself, know your experiences and most importantly be honest. They realize that there is a major time crunch, but they do this purposely so that you don't have to think about a "perfect" answer. As much as this is about critical reasoning, it is just as much about personality. You will all do great! Don't try to over prepare. If anything practice the timing, because that's the most difficult part.

Good luck every one :) Stay positive! This is your chance to show them who you are.

I know you have the best intentions but why do people always tell applicants that the best advice is to be yourself?  That's just so generic and unhelpful.

The test screens for personal and professional characteristics and then ranks applicants based on your score so unless you are a natural, you are going to have to work on improving how to put your best foot forward and how to shape your "personal and professional" characteristics answers to maximize your performance.  How do you do that?

1) Read the liteature on situational judgment tests

2) Read about how they can be faked and shape your answers

3) Practice with sample questions from reliable sources especially on behavior descriptive.

4) Get feedback from ppl who know what the heck they are doing and who can be very critical of you.  You won't benefit from a friend who is always "nice" even if they are in med school.

Hey guys!

Thank you medhopeful2015 :) That is very kind of you! Your message brightened my day. 

Hey guys!

If I answered as myself on CASPer I would get arrested

If I answered as myself on CASPer I would get arrested

Question prompt: "You're a nephrologist and a wealthy patient comes in to speak to you about getting a transplant from a third world country. How do you counsel them?"

Answer: "I don't say anything because I'm not in my office. Instead I'm hiding in the bathroom fucked up on percs that I stole from the pharmacy"

• 4 years later...
On 10/4/2015 at 1:36 PM, Stats Nerd said:

The fact that schools actually use CASPer is not a joke. GPA on its own is a poor evaluation of ones potential to be a good physician; I think CASPer is a great idea to weed out the 4.0 third years who lack maturity and critical reasoning. Grades alone are not a good representation of ones potential success as a future doctor. It is very unfortunate that some individuals cheat on this exam. 

I am applying to the uOttawa French stream and only have a 3.71 weighted GPA. I am worried that this is not enough, as majority of successful applicants are over a 3.80. With this being said, I am happy I can potentially compensate for my 3.71 with a stellar CASPer score. However, this is my first time writing the test and because there are a lack of practice tests in French, I am not certain on how best to prepare.

Any tips on French CASPer preparation would be immensely helpful. 

Good luck to everyone applying :) 

Hi,

I am applying this cycle with a 3.87 to the french stream at Ottawa and I need to write my Capser in french lol. I don't think that my GPA is competitive so I need to do good on casper. Were you able to find resources for practice?

1 hour ago, Medenguoft said:

Hi,

I am applying this cycle with a 3.87 to the french stream at Ottawa and I need to write my Capser in french lol. I don't think that my GPA is competitive so I need to do good on casper. Were you able to find resources for practice?

Your GPA is actually quite competitive for the French stream. There was a student this past cycle who got in with a 3.74 wGPA in the French stream! Just be sure you do well on the CASPer and have a solid ABS!

5 minutes ago, TrustTheProcess21 said:

Your GPA is actually quite competitive for the French stream. There was a student this past cycle who got in with a 3.74 wGPA in the French stream! Just be sure you do well on the CASPer and have a solid ABS!

ohh, do you happen to know if Ottawa value research? I have had a couple of publications during my undergrad (one in science, and I was first co-author in one of them), but I am unsure if that counts for medicine admission. I am relatively new to the process so pardon me for my naivety.

1 minute ago, Medenguoft said:

ohh, do you happen to know if Ottawa value research? I have had a couple of publications during my undergrad (one in science, and I was first co-author in one of them), but I am unsure if that counts for medicine admission. I am relatively new to the process so pardon me for my naivety.

Publications are definitely a bonus and are regarded very highly by the admissions committee!

5 hours ago, Medenguoft said:

Hi,

Hey! I was accepted at UOttawa this year through the French stream. 

I believe that the best thing you can do to prepare for the casper test, regardless of language is 1) self-reflection and 2) practice. 

I recommend coming up with a list of meaningful experiences, and thinking about all the challenges and lessons you learned through each of those experiences (write it all in french, obviously). This will make it easier for you to retrieve relevant personal examples to incorporate in your answers during the test. 

The best resource for practicing is probably the full length official casper sample test. This past year, they made this available (and free) on their website, and they offer it in French! Definitely take advantage of this. 

It sucks that most resources for casper and interviews are in English. So I ended up using english practice questions, then answering them in french lol. I was also preparing to write the english casper test, so I alternated answering in french and english. 

Another great way to practice (indirectly) is to do something called inkshedding! Search it up. You basically take any writing prompt, set a timer, and just start typing away your train of thought. It’s a great way to practice converting thought into text more efficiently. 

Also this is an interesting read: https://www.mededpublish.org/manuscripts/2091 

Best of luck!

Hi there! I think the best way to practice for the Casper test is to reflect on your past experiences and identify the main "themes" in each situation. I personally prepared for the test by creating a word document with a bunch of life experiences that I knew could come in handy for the test. Then, I tried out the official practice test and watched some YouTube videos about the different types of scenarios included in the Casper test. Good luck preparing for it!

On 6/10/2020 at 5:24 AM, MedSchoolHope101 said:

Hi there! I think the best way to practice for the Casper test is to reflect on your past experiences and identify the main "themes" in each situation. I personally prepared for the test by creating a word document with a bunch of life experiences that I knew could come in handy for the test. Then, I tried out the official practice test and watched some YouTube videos about the different types of scenarios included in the Casper test. Good luck preparing for it!

I did the exact same thing as this (I got into ottawa this year). I essentially prepped as though I was prepping for an interview because theres a mix of ethical and personal/reflective questions they can toss at you. Know yourself and your application well and learn how to draw connections with random prompts to your own experiences and you'll be great. I also used documents that had hundreds of interview questions and I practiced typing out my responses to these questions (not all the questions but a decent amount). It sounds silly but typing speed is a huge limiting factor if you are too slow LOL goodluck