Premed 101 Forums

Doing Ward Clerk Job While In Undergrad

biochem4

for admissions criteria aha

Things don't 'count' or not based on their relevance to medicine. Jobs that have nothing to do with medicine are perfectly fine as well. So yes it 'counts', but so would any other job you would put on your resume

Things don't 'count' or not based on their relevance to medicine. Jobs that have nothing to do with medicine are perfectly fine as well. So yes it 'counts', but so would any other job you would put on your resume

what I meant is that, if I apply as a ward clerk on a certain hospital, will I get an essential points for medical school admissions criteria? For example, doing clinical research assistant job impacts our chances of being admitted to a great extent. How about being a ward clerk?

No doing "clinical research assistant job" does not impact anyone's chances to a "great extent." The medical school I applied specifically addressed things like this. It's not what you do, it's what you learn from it. They gave an example of how someone who learns an second language can demonstrate the same qualities as an Olympic athlete. If this is news to you, check out the u calgary med website.

what I meant is that, if I apply as a ward clerk on a certain hospital, will I get an essential points for medical school admissions criteria? For example, doing clinical research assistant job impacts our chances of being admitted to a great extent. How about being a ward clerk?

Both of those things are false....

the title  of a position means next to nothing. Its the time you put in, and what you actually DO thats important. Ward clerk is no different than any clerk role, and clinical research assistant is no different than biochemistry

My understanding is that if you are applying to the US then jobs with medical experience do hold a certain weight. But in Canada this isn't true like everyone else has said. I've heard adcoms from UBC say that generally, medical jobs don't hold more weight than a non-medical job.

Archived