Premed 101 Forums

Help!

As a med student at mac, I disagree that mac is very fair and that fewer samples won't affect mean score. They want to come across as being all evidence based but yet they allow applicants to write the test in the comfort of their own home. There's a reason they want 12 samples... likely because its more reliable than 11.

I heard people were getting cut off after 5-6 sections today. I feel for all of you!

don't worry too much guys

mac has told me in the past that you do not need all 12 stations to collate the scores reliably

its ok if some of them got away - mac is very fair about it and it won't affect your mean score

I believe I only completed 7 or 8 stations today when I got cut off. I think I did mediocre on these ones but then not sure where to go from here. Some of us continued the test after the 1.5 hour disruption but I decided not to. They haven't responded to any of my messages. Now I feel crap and super confused how this is going to be to my disadvantage. Any insights? :( sorry if it feels like just venting

Guys! I am so sorry that you had to go through this :( If it makes you feel any better, I had technical issues last year and they were very fair about it. I hope everything was resolved. Good luck everyone!

Very fair but yet you're reapplying? Are you saying interviewed at mac post casper ... but were not accepted?

I believe I only completed 7 or 8 stations today when I got cut off. I think I did mediocre on these ones but then not sure where to go from here. Some of us continued the test after the 1.5 hour disruption but I decided not to. They haven't responded to any of my messages. Now I feel crap and super confused how this is going to be to my disadvantage. Any insights? :( sorry if it feels like just venting

Yea that really sucks! :(

As a med student at mac, I disagree that mac is very fair and that fewer samples won't affect mean score. They want to come across as being all evidence based but yet they allow applicants to write the test in the comfort of their own home. There's a reason they want 12 samples... likely because its more reliable than 11.

I heard people were getting cut off after 5-6 sections today. I feel for all of you!

yeah its more reliable the more stations you do. personally i know of someone who wrote the test in africa and was able to only finish half of it - and for some of them she couldn't watch the video even and had to infer what it was about based on the questions, still got an interview.

another person was only able to finish 8/12 stations as well and also got an interview

I'm not saying this doesn't suck i just want to help the people who didn't get to finish it feel a bit better

edit: the reason I think mac will have a fair process is because she was told that stations flagged for technical difficulties will be dropped because you don't need all 12 to statistically analyze the scores. 

yeah its more reliable the more stations you do. personally i know of someone who wrote the test in africa and was able to only finish half of it - and for some of them she couldn't watch the video even and had to infer what it was about based on the questions, still got an interview.

another person was only able to finish 8/12 stations as well and also got an interview

I'm not saying this doesn't suck i just want to help the people who didn't get to finish it feel a bit better

edit: the reason I think mac will have a fair process is because she was told that stations flagged for technical difficulties will be dropped because you don't need all 12 to statistically analyze the scores.

This is likely to be a win situation for applicants with high gpa and mcat VR/cars.

I am probably going to talk to admissions tomorrow and see if they can offer me any advice. I know the test is not operated by them but they should know how they are going to interpret scores etc and might be able to at least provide clarification. This takecasper website seems very vague about how they are going to respond to this issue, and I am worried that they might not be as fair as Mac. As it is, they have already seemed to inflame the issue by letting 2pm'ers back into the system to continue writing an hour later. 

I am probably going to talk to admissions tomorrow and see if they can offer me any advice. I know the test is not operated by them but they should know how they are going to interpret scores etc and might be able to at least provide clarification. This takecasper website seems very vague about how they are going to respond to this issue, and I am worried that they might not be as fair as Mac. As it is, they have already seemed to inflame the issue by letting 2pm'ers back into the system to continue writing an hour later. 

Could you let us know what they say? I had the same issue today. Thank you!

:( I'm so sorry this happened to all of you.

I wrote the 10 pm section without any issues. However, if I had known about this, I would been really anxious, and that would have affected how well I answered the questions; I hope they consider the fact that all of the anxiety/stress may have affected answers, and either slightly inflate the scores or let you guys re-write.

I agree that 12 sections is probably a better sample than 6. I run/score psychometric testing (which is also trying to get a well-rounded view of someone's skills), and there is a reason for the existing number of questions to be administered. For instance, if you get a passage to read that you really hate, and therefore get a lower score on it, you might underestimate their reading ability if you stopped there...while the other passages can balance the score out. I suspect the same is true of the CASPer (at least, to some degree).

I'm sure we all felt that some of the questions were easier to answer than others based on our life experience/knowledge/interest/ect., and the more questions you have, the easier it is to recover from a bad answer. 

But, there may be some way to control for the tech issue; for instance, if they calculate percentiles, they could calculate the percentiles for the people who had the tech difficulties in a separate group than people who did not have difficulties. This - or, something like it - could generate (at least, to some extent) fair and meaningful data, and they could perhaps compare applicants more fairly. 

Anyway, I hope they tell you the outcome soon, and that you guys get the option re-write it. :( If they don't, I hope they can re-assure you that you have an equal chance to gain admission as people who were able to write 12 answers. 

Archived