Premed 101 Forums

How To Keep Going?

thehulk

Not sure if I missed it but what province are you from? As others have mentioned, IP applications will make you much more competitive. Some extra things to consider that weren't mentioned in your initial post:

How are your reference letters? I know at UofT these are worth >20% of the pre-interview score. Some small things like this on the application cycle that seem unimportant or like "flags" could actually make or break your application. I would really consider who you are getting references from.

Are you willing to move for a year or two before your next application. I know its easy to keep submitting year after year, but sometimes a different approach will help. If you can gain in proving status out east or out west that will likely give you the bump you need to get in.

How are you coming across in your essays? Interviews? When people have good stats, often there is a problem with how they are portaying themselves to others. I would critically evaluate how you present your application. You have intereviewed before so written skills may not be the problem....Have you worked on improving your interview skills since the last round? There is still lots of time for Ontario schools so I wouldn't wait until the last minute to prepare. Sitting at home in despair when you still have a good chance is a self-fulfilling prophecy waiting to happen.

Im from Ontario! My reference letters are pretty good imo: 1 MD+PhD who is Dean of Medicine at an Ontario school, my research supervisor (Canada Research Chair) and a  volunteer coordinator.

Yes, I am going to work my a$$ for interview prep if I get one. I am open to moving, but that would take another 2-3 years before I can be considered in province. hoping for the best at this point. Thank you for the advice, really appreciate it :)

Archived