Premed 101 Forums

Interview Invites?

0zero0zero

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Someone needs to explain to me how I didn't get an interview with 3.97 and a great CV. I mean GPA is supposed to count for like 70% in the first place. and I'm over the average and the mode. This is laughable but whatever. At least there's a little hope: I'm WL. 

Are you OOP applicant?

I went through the invites and it seems like research was a hot topic. There were some high GPAs with regrets and it seemed as though the one thing that lacked was research

I have research. Research assistant on two research projects. Practiced semi-pro sports and one recreational when in CEGEP. I have distinctions, dean's list, countless hours working for two foundations, bruh I could keep going for hours. Seems like what it takes nowadays is to be Ghandi. 

I went through the invites and it seems like research was a hot topic. There were some high GPAs with regrets and it seemed as though the one thing that lacked was research

It wasn't research alone, I haven't done any at all and got an invite.

It's my second year applying to McGill, got an invite this year but didn't last year. Got an almost perfect GPA (don't know how much exactly, since I haven't added up last semester's grades). The only thing that changed since last year was a little boost in my grades and an additional summer at my job I had the year before that. 

So there's an unclear mashup of grades/CV ..

Someone needs to explain to me how I didn't get an interview with 3.97 and a great CV. I mean GPA is supposed to count for like 70% in the first place. and I'm over the average and the mode. This is laughable but whatever. At least there's a little hope: I'm WL. 

bruh GPA isn't everything. if you'll notice from last year's stats, The grades avg/mode actually dropped a bit between the group invited for interviews and those actually accepted.  

McGill is pretty clear about the components of their evaluation.  They look at 3 things: GPA, EC (CV), and your personal statement. Your grade is most definitely above average, you seem to have a lot on your CV, which leaves your personal statement.  I think you've realized which part of your app is below average.  

Even with a 70/30 weighting, GPA can only save you so much if adcom ends up not liking your CVPN

I have research. Research assistant on two research projects. Practiced semi-pro sports and one recreational when in CEGEP. I have distinctions, dean's list, countless hours working for two foundations, bruh I could keep going for hours. Seems like what it takes nowadays is to be Ghandi. 

CV looks okay...you may have done poorly on the PN portion. 

I was rejected pre-interview last year, got an interview this year, and my application is almost identical. You can always try to improve, but it's a subjective process. If you think your application is strong then apply again, you didn't necessarily fall short in any specific way.

did you get your rank last year?

CV looks okay...you may have done poorly on the PN portion. 

I thought so too...so I gave it to friends and like the head pharmacist I work with to get feedback on PN...and they told me it was great. I realized it probably wasn't the best when people told me some people have it written by professionals. I took the narrative part to heart and kinda said it as if I were talking to someone. But yeah maybe I mean IDK...sucks though I find this part where u have to talk about urself in 250 words...challenging. It's like I can't sum up events in my life in 250 words lol. regardless...wtv happens happens. I'M still wait listed

I was rejected pre-interview last year, got an interview this year, and my application is almost identical. You can always try to improve, but it's a subjective process. If you think your application is strong then apply again, you didn't necessarily fall short in any specific way.

Even with the new questions for the PN you managed to write the same thing? I changed 70% of my PN from last year.

Even with the new questions for the PN you managed to write the same thing? I changed 70% of my PN from last year.

Well that's what I meant by almost identical. I didn't put any more time into this version than last year's, so any difference in how I scored on it would have been similar to two different people marking last year's PN.

Well that's what I meant by almost identical. I didn't put any more time into this version than last year's, so any difference in how I scored on it would have been similar to two different people marking last year's PN.

McGill's interviewing more people this year compared last year with a slightly smaller applicant pool.  You were probably very close last year to being invited last year

McGill's interviewing more people this year compared last year with a slightly smaller applicant pool.  You were probably very close last year to being invited last year

I think there's more subjectivity in non-GPA scoring than that. Same thing with Ottawa last year, rejected pre-interview and snagged an interview this year, ABS looked the same. With strong stats I wouldn't expect to be at the bottom of the pile, but I just don't think there's a massive (or concrete) difference between those getting interviews and the next couple hundred applicants who didn't. I just got friendlier reviewers this year, for those schools anyway.

Archived