Premed 101 Forums

Official University Of Alberta 2016 Pharmacy Applicants - Class Of 2020

starrynight111

Congrats to everyone who's admitted!! Just wondering if anyone is still waiting? Or is the admission cycle over and they're just going to send out rejections?

Hey there. I heard that final decisions will be made in July and only a few have been already given admission right now. Hope this help!

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey there. I heard that final decisions will be made in July and only a few have been already given admission right now. Hope this help!

Thank you! This information is quite the relief. Based off the statistics here: there are 600 applicants and it seems that 30-40 offers have been sent out which leaves around 550 students competing for 90-100 seats. Isn't this very competitive for pharmacy since it leaves approximately 15-20% chance of admission. Isn't this comparable to medicine? 

Just need some clarification and hope :/

Hello everyone!

I'm a little late to the party but I was admitted June 9th as well! I look forward to seeing some of you in the fall. I was just wondering if vaccinations had to be up to date before fall classes? Would greatly appreciate your input! Good luck to those still waiting for admission!

Hello everyone!

I'm a little late to the party but I was admitted June 9th as well! I look forward to seeing some of you in the fall. I was just wondering if vaccinations had to be up to date before fall classes? Would greatly appreciate your input! Good luck to those still waiting for admission!

Can you please share your stats for those waiting and the future applicants.

Hello everyone!

No, you do not. You have to have the form and vaccinations done before Oct. 31.

Mine still says Decision Pending. I got into UofT anyway and will be rejecting the offer (should I get one) to UofA but I am just curious to find out if I would be able to get in as an out of province student with my stats.

Goodluck to those still waiting.

What are the job prospects with a Pharmacy degree? (more than community and hospital) How is the future of Pharmacy? Is the market becoming too saturated and are there budget cuts? Is there room for growth as a pharmacist? 

Just looking for some clarity if I do get in and go for pharmacy.

My advice to everyone still waiting... relax! Right now you have to realize that everything is out of your control. Trust me, I know it is tough to do so. I was rejected last year.

On another note, have the people who have paid their confirmation fees/submitted their forms been emailed yet to verify if it all came through? 

So excited to be admitted today! :)

GPA: 3.93 (took my science courses over 2 years)

I have 4 years experience working in a pharmacy, and I feel that I had a very strong LOI and a pretty good interview.

Good luck to those still waiting, and I can't wait to meet everyone this fall!

I also have a random question for those that have been admitted. Where do you pay the $175 fee online? When I go on beartracks, it just says that I have no fees at this time.

I was wondering about that as well, I was thinking maybe go to Financials > Make a Payment > Enter in $175> Proceed to Online Banking?

^^ You're on the money. I went to financials and put in $175.00 as the payment amount. Attached the receipt to my email with my forms and Rae emailed back confirming the deposit was received. I'll say, it's not the most intuitive process haha!

Sweet that's good to know! Thanks for the confirmation !  :)

^^ You're on the money. I went to financials and put in $175.00 as the payment amount. Attached the receipt to my email with my forms and Rae emailed back confirming the deposit was received. I'll say, it's not the most intuitive process haha!

Thank you! That's what I figured, but I would hate to mess it up!

I received my admission offer this morning! FYI... This is my third time applying. Honestly my interview was poor but my letter was well written. My prerequisite GPA and cumulative GPA are both 3.6. I also graduated with my BSc in 2016 at the University of Alberta.

Best of luck to those of you waiting. Rae informed me that most students can expect the faculty's decision in early July. PLEASE DON'T STRESS!

Hello everybody!

I was wondering if it is realistic for me to have a chance of getting into the program next year with a cumulative GPA of 2.99 and a current GPA of 3.08... I already applied two years ago but ended up failing one of the pre-requisite classes, so my interview was no longer made possible (I did still get invited for an interview though, which I found a little odd). 

I appreciate any additional advice on how to get my GPA back up and/or ace the upcoming application. Thanks and good luck to everybody else!

Hello everybody!

I was wondering if it is realistic for me to have a chance of getting into the program next year with a cumulative GPA of 2.99 and a current GPA of 3.08... I already applied two years ago but ended up failing one of the pre-requisite classes, so my interview was no longer made possible (I did still get invited for an interview though, which I found a little odd). 

I appreciate any additional advice on how to get my GPA back up and/or ace the upcoming application. Thanks and good luck to everybody else!

It's great that you are working towards your goal of getting into the program, but I do not think your cumulative GPA is high enough for admission. Aiming for a cumulative and prerequisite GPA of 3.3 (B+) or higher would be more realistic, although the recommended GPA of 3.5 is what is officially considered competitive. Obviously if you get the chance to do an interview, make the most of it and practice as much as you can especially since they're providing you with sample questions. For the Letter of Intent, I would recommend that you shadow a pharmacist (or multiple) or work at a pharmacy if you haven't already in order to convince the admissions committee that pharmacy is truly the field you want to enter. Hope that helps and good luck with your future applications!

Archived