Premed 101 Forums

Official University Of Alberta 2016 Pharmacy Applicants - Class Of 2020

starrynight111

Hello everybody!

I was wondering if it is realistic for me to have a chance of getting into the program next year with a cumulative GPA of 2.99 and a current GPA of 3.08... I already applied two years ago but ended up failing one of the pre-requisite classes, so my interview was no longer made possible (I did still get invited for an interview though, which I found a little odd). 

I appreciate any additional advice on how to get my GPA back up and/or ace the upcoming application. Thanks and good luck to everybody else!

I've heard that they have admitted people with a GPA of 3.0 in the past. So it's certainly not impossible, but you'd need a strong letter of intent and interview.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For those who submitted their confirmation of admission letter as well as paid the deposit, did anyone get a response back? And how do you check if the deposit went through successfully? My bank statement indicated that I paid $175 however is there a way to check on bear tracks? Thanks ! 

For those who submitted their confirmation of admission letter as well as paid the deposit, did anyone get a response back? And how do you check if the deposit went through successfully? My bank statement indicated that I paid $175 however is there a way to check on bear tracks? Thanks ! 

I got a reply however I sent the forms and deposit in the first week of June. The $175 should show up on beartacks as either a spring or summer payment. 

I got a reply however I sent the forms and deposit in the first week of June. The $175 should show up on beartacks as either a spring or summer payment. 

Okok I think it went through as it says under account summary it says Summer Term 2016: -$175. However I still haven't received a reply for sending in my forms and I am getting quite nervous as the due date is coming up.

Thank you for your help!  

Okok I think it went through as it says under account summary it says Summer Term 2016: -$175. However I still haven't received a reply for sending in my forms and I am getting quite nervous as the due date is coming up.

Thank you for your help!  

I emailed Rae for a confirmation just to make sure, because otherwise I would be a nervous wreck! My account summary says the same thing, but I think I'll call tomorrow to confirm that as well!

Hey everyone, congratulations to everyone admitted so far! I received acceptance on june 28/2016! I sent in both my forms and also payed the deposit- is there anything else needed to be done before july 8th?

Hi pharmacy199,

Congrats on your admission! I believe that's everything for now! Did you get a response back yet for submitting your forms and paying the deposit yet?

Hi pharmacy199,

Congrats on your admission! I believe that's everything for now! Did you get a response back yet for submitting your forms and paying the deposit yet?

thank you! No not yet!! Ive emailed rae to confirm if shes recieved anything but she hasnt repiled yet..the wait is killing me, did anyone respond back to you?

thank you! No not yet!! Ive emailed rae to confirm if shes recieved anything but she hasnt repiled yet..the wait is killing me, did anyone respond back to you?

Yes I did receive a response four days after however the wait was killing me so I had to call student services to confirm! No need to worry you should get a response shortly.

Yes I did receive a response four days after however the wait was killing me so I had to call student services to confirm! No need to worry you should get a response shortly.

okay thank you! Ive called a couple times now but noone is picking up, Ill call tom! did u change your program on bear tracks? 

okay thank you! Ive called a couple times now but noone is picking up, Ill call tom! did u change your program on bear tracks?

Yeah it took me a while to be able to reach them, I'm assuming they have been really busy lately but hopefully you will get a response soon! Does anyone know if there is or will be a Facebook group? Thanks!

I volunteered in a hospital for 4 years, I also volunteered in a medical centre reading prescription and making herbal medicine for one summer. And as well, in my interview, I got to talk about working at Fort Edmonton Park as a costumed historical interpreter.

I have done a lots of other extracurricular and volunteering but I didn't get a chance to mention it in my LOI or interview. I got admitted as a first time applicant, hope this help any future applicants! :)

Hi everyone,

Just wondering... after getting acceptance, do you go to "change program" on Beartracks and do it yourself?

Yeah thats what I did because I received an email that said you need to change the program on bear tracks once you receive admission, just make sure you change the program for both fall and winter separately because it doesn't do it together, but you can always call in and confirm! 

Hi everyone,

was just wondering for future references for admission into pharmacy next year, for the ones that got accepted did you guys do any volunteer or have work experience. Do you guys think it's important to get experience/did it help you get in?

thanks in advance

I worked in a pharmacy for 4 years while in high school and university. While they say work experience isn't necessary, I think it helps a lot. Having experience makes it easier to answer questions on the LOI and interview.

Hi everyone,

was just wondering for future references for admission into pharmacy next year, for the ones that got accepted did you guys do any volunteer or have work experience. Do you guys think it's important to get experience/did it help you get in?

thanks in advance

I did not have any related volunteer or work experience. However, I did do a lot of job shadowing and talking to pharmacists before applying to get an idea of what a pharmacist does. My mom also works in healthcare very closely to several pharmacists and we talked for hours about our healthcare system and a pharmacist's scope and role in it. I believe that talking to someone is extremely beneficial and makes it easier to answer both the LOI and interview questions, especially if you can't get work or volunteer experience in the field. Hope this helps :) 

According to ualberta cost calculator for first year pharmacy this year: tuition - $9986.56; books and supplies - $1600.00; non instructional fees - $1570.13

All that adds up to an estimated cost of $13156.69, of course there are probably ways to save on fees other than the tuition.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I believe tuition increase in later years of pharmacy

The cost of the books for the entire program will be around $2000 if you choose to buy every book (many are available online for free through the university library). 

https://pharm.ualberta.ca/-/media/pharm/programs/documents/bsc-in-pharmacy/student-resources/bsctextbooklist20152016final-submitted-1.pdf

The other cost that you may want to consider is the placement they put you on in July. 

Archived