Premed 101 Forums

University Of British Columbia 2016 Applicants - Class Of 2020

bcftw123

Got my acceptance. 7:33 pm PST. Starting to worry about the 16k/yr investment into a unsteady job market -_-

16k/year is not the whole number. Calculate lost wages/year, interest rates on loans, and extra school fees.

On the other hand, 5 years from now the market may change for hiring pharmacists for urban jobs. Also, maybe the new pharmd designation might open up new doors for abilities of practicing pharmacists.

Fingers crossed they're not sending 250 students a year into an overpopulated job profession....

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

16k/year is not the whole number. Calculate lost wages/year, interest rates on loans, and extra school fees.

On the other hand, 5 years from now the market may change for hiring pharmacists for urban jobs. Also, maybe the new pharmd designation might open up new doors for abilities of practicing pharmacists.

Fingers crossed they're not sending 250 students a year into an overpopulated job profession....

Hey, don't want to rain on your parade but sadly the PharmD has INCREASED its tuition for this year :( its now $17011, plus $2025 worth of student fees, and an estimated $1540 on books and supplies for a whopping total of $20576 per year.. Im really excited to start and its all I can dream of doing, plus UBC looks great, but to imagine the debt I'll be in in 4 years with living costs is a bit scary, regardless of how much a pharmacist might make or the potential job market. Almost all the bursary, scholarship and grants specifically state they cannot be used for professional ptograms such as PharmD as well.. As I said it will be incredible to start this program and Im completely willing to pay for it, damn it be a lot of money :/ I'm just happy were all in this together!

UBC has a cost calculator where I got my numbers from and it can also estimate price of living. They guess $32612 in total per year including living expenses to be in the PharmD, then 4 years later that's $130448 :o lol. But it's an opportunity I'm really thankful to have!

UBC Calculator:

http://you.ubc.ca/tuition-scholarships/cost/cost-calculator/

I wonder how many people, other than Mushmusic and I, are still stuck in this twilight zone- waiting for an acceptance, wait list or rejection letter...

I've called UBC pharmacy (Carol) so many times I'm pretty sure they probably started recognizing my number now. I have officially lost any sense of shame. 

Deadline for offers that went out today to accept is June 6th. If you don't hear back today, it'll probably be after that I'm guessing.

congratulations to everyone who heard back today, and good luck to those of you still waiting!

for everyone who heard last Wednesday, have any of you received your admission packages in the mail yet? I need to fax my letter to the rental office of my apartment building but it seems to be taking longer than I expected to arrive.

me too :) but i think this is a positive thing not a negative thing. Other schools are gonna reply back to people later and more rejections are coming so we still have a shot still

Same... Wait listed

Does anyone know approx. how many people are wait listed? or what the chances are for wait listed people getting in?

hey I got waitlisted too... Do you guys know if the deposit fee for accepting the offer is refundable? I mean 2000 is a lot.. :\

I'm pretty sure it's non-refundable, the point is making sure you're committed to taking the seat in the program. But yeah, $2000 is quite a high deposit amount.

The point of a deposit is to secure your enrolment. Your deposit fees will apply towards your tuition, so you're not actually losing any money. This is how ALL deposits work, you pay up front instead of paying later.

For those of you who are waitlisted, you should just treat it like a rejection. Most waitlists are short enough to only accommodate unexpected circumstances (e.g. people dropping out last minute, small frequency of declining offers). Schools do not overadmit, nor do they inflate their waitlists. They have enough statistics to predict from year to year how many people will accept and decline offers with each wave, which is why they can make offers and rejections with confidence. There aren't many pharmacy schools in Canada, and many people do not have cross-provincial applications. I wouldn't get your hopes up.

The point of a deposit is to secure your enrolment. Your deposit fees will apply towards your tuition, so you're not actually losing any money. This is how ALL deposits work, you pay up front instead of paying later.

For those of you who are waitlisted, you should just treat it like a rejection. Most waitlists are short enough to only accommodate unexpected circumstances (e.g. people dropping out last minute, small frequency of declining offers). Schools do not overadmit, nor do they inflate their waitlists. They have enough statistics to predict from year to year how many people will accept and decline offers with each wave, which is why they can make offers and rejections with confidence. There aren't many pharmacy schools in Canada, and many people do not have cross-provincial applications. I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Based on past years wait listed people tend to be admitted so i would take your advice with a grain of salt. Literally every other pharmacy school still has to extend out offers. In my point of view, and I may be wrong, but a wait list offer is not a rejection- a rejection is a rejection. A rejection is like not making the basketball team in my point of view for whatever reason while a wait list is not making it on the B team (The batch that subs in for injured players on the A team or whatever).Its admittedly a terrible analogy but you get the picture. They would have just sent out a rejection letters to us too if there was no chance of us getting in. If the wait lists are short then good less competition in the list for less possible positions, if they are long then they are preparing for lots of rejections in the upcoming weeks-also good because more chance of the wait listed to get accepted.Too each their own but I'm keeping hope.  

They don't put that many people on the waitlist so your chances of getting into the program are pretty good. Admittedly, this year may be slightly different seeing as most people won't want to lose their 2k$ deposit so it's unlikely that they'll drop UBC's offer for somewhere else, but there's always a chance. Just wait patiently and check your email every day so that you don't miss a potential offer.

Tbh I'd only expect people to drop UBC for UofT so cross your fingers around June 17th :P

They don't put that many people on the waitlist so your chances of getting into the program are pretty good. Admittedly, this year may be slightly different seeing as most people won't want to lose their 2k$ deposit so it's unlikely that they'll drop UBC's offer for somewhere else, but there's always a chance. Just wait patiently and check your email every day so that you don't miss a potential offer.

Tbh I'd only expect people to drop UBC for UofT so cross your fingers around June 17th :P

yeah i don't get the random increase to a 2k deposit too. wasn't it like $200 for last year's e2p class and the same for every other year before that?

yeah i don't get the random increase to a 2k deposit too. wasn't it like $200 for last year's e2p class and the same for every other year before that?

LOLLL yeah my friend was shocked when she heard it was a 2k deposit this year. Yeah it was ~200$ in past years... 

Archived