Premed 101 Forums

University Of British Columbia 2016 Applicants - Class Of 2020

bcftw123

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got my acceptance letter!!!!!! Omg. I have never felt so tired yet so excited

That's awesome! I was really hoping you would get it after being on this forum and getting to know some of the names here.. So congrats! :D I look forward to meeting you and the rest of the people in September!

congratulations on your acceptance! my apartment is in Yaletown, which definitely isn't cheap but it does have the express bus route, which makes commuting a lot easier :) farther out of the downtown core will be cheaper, but keeping the commute in mind is important, especially with how awful Vancouver traffic can be in the mornings

Congrats on getting in!

I'm probably going to commute from Burnaby -at least for first year- and see how it goes. I managed just fine for 4 years of undergrad but dunno if the pharmacy workload will permit it. I hope it does... don't want to spend a fortune on rent.

Hey everyone!

I've received my acceptance letter about a week ago! Does anyone know anymore information about registration? Do I just get placed in the required courses or is it the same kind of registration for most degrees?

Also..I don't get guaranteed residence. But live in Nova Scotia, so pretty far. Does anyone know the latest date that you'd hear about residence? I'm starting to look for apartments now. But I'm starting to get worried.

Thanks so much!

Hey everyone!

I've received my acceptance letter about a week ago! Does anyone know anymore information about registration? Do I just get placed in the required courses or is it the same kind of registration for most degrees?

Also..I don't get guaranteed residence. But live in Nova Scotia, so pretty far. Does anyone know the latest date that you'd hear about residence? I'm starting to look for apartments now. But I'm starting to get worried.

Thanks so much!

So in a few days (hopefully) we'll receive an email from UBC with registration times. Follow the instructions there and register in one of the standard timetables that they'll upload sooner or later on the SSC. Last year I think there were 6 different STTs, but the only difference between them is your lab/tutorial time and which weeks you'll have labs (weeks 1, 3 , 5... or weeks 2, 4, 6...).

Also is anyone else going to the SSRP BBQ on Monday? I hope it doesn't rain T_T

Trying to get a list of things together to help myself get things finished early for this upcoming semester. 

I've created a public calendar that I'll slowly be adding to with deadline dates, links, and campus events. If there are any important dates that I'm missing please let me know. Testing this open calendar out. If it helps other students, that's great!

https://calendar.google.com/calendar/render?cid=aTVscXY0bjc2cDBsNmNtc3I2cnMwYWVtaTBAZ3JvdXAuY2FsZW5kYXIuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbQ&pli=1#main_7

I'll update with specific website links when I complete each thing to-do. 

Things that should be done soon: see google calendar above for deadline dates and more information

Finances:

1) Check out the current scholarship that are open now:

http://students.ubc.ca/enrolment/finances/awards#specific-student-groups

2) Applications for BC student loans are now open: important to do this by July 15th

source: UBC email: Financial planning, student loans, and the UBC Bursary Program‏

3) workshop dates are coming up soon for financial information!

Source: UBC email: Making a Financial Plan - session info

Other:

4) Obtain your immunization records and make an appointment at UBC

Source: UBC email: Making a Financial Plan - session info

5) check your PC requirements

Source: UBC Email title: Your 2016 UBC Entry-to-Practice PharmD Application

6) register as student pharmacist:

Source: UBC Email title: Your 2016 UBC Entry-to-Practice PharmD Application

So in a few days (hopefully) we'll receive an email from UBC with registration times. Follow the instructions there and register in one of the standard timetables that they'll upload sooner or later on the SSC. Last year I think there were 6 different STTs, but the only difference between them is your lab/tutorial time and which weeks you'll have labs (weeks 1, 3 , 5... or weeks 2, 4, 6...).

Also is anyone else going to the SSRP BBQ on Monday? I hope it doesn't rain T_T

I'll be there too.

Trying to make this a beneficial trip besides networking and donating my $8 to the fundraiser. 

Besides testing the transit times from burnaby (I'll be doing that twice a day....ugh), I'm thinking about checking out the Collegia too. Unsure about that idea but worth checking out.

May make an immunization appointment and check out the student financial office/BC student loans office too

I'll be there too.

Trying to make this a beneficial trip besides networking and donating my $8 to the fundraiser. 

Besides testing the transit times from burnaby (I'll be doing that twice a day....ugh), I'm thinking about checking out the Collegia too. Unsure about that idea but worth checking out.

May make an immunization appointment and check out the student financial office/BC student loans office too

Oh cool see you there! Weather network says it'll be sunny too... hope that's true.

I'm commuting from Burnaby too! During undergrad I was commuting by skytrain from Lougheed + 84/99. Probably going to switch it up and go for Joyce Station + 43 since it stops near the pharm building and no way in hell am I walking from the bus loop LOL

Collegia I don't think is really worth it, you're going to be basically living in the pharmacy building anyways and they have a bunch of resources over there. 

...yo sign up for your immunization review appointment ASAP

You can do it over the phone. I actually called up last week to set one up and they were like "um yeah we're booked up until August". Wound up getting a slot at the end of August so yeah you might wanna do that on Monday morning.

Oh cool see you there! Weather network says it'll be sunny too... hope that's true.

I'm commuting from Burnaby too! During undergrad I was commuting by skytrain from Lougheed + 84/99. Probably going to switch it up and go for Joyce Station + 43 since it stops near the pharm building and no way in hell am I walking from the bus loop LOL

Collegia I don't think is really worth it, you're going to be basically living in the pharmacy building anyways and they have a bunch of resources over there.

...yo sign up for your immunization review appointment ASAP

You can do it over the phone. I actually called up last week to set one up and they were like "um yeah we're booked up until August". Wound up getting a slot at the end of August so yeah you might wanna do that on Monday morning.

We could use some sun! Lots of great info. Thanks for the details on the bus: Coming from lougheed too. Wow didn't know they were that booked. Going to have to practise putting my 3 hours a day on the transit so maybe I'll phone en route.

We could use some sun! Lots of great info. Thanks for the details on the bus: Coming from lougheed too. Wow didn't know they were that booked. Going to have to practise putting my 3 hours a day on the transit so maybe I'll phone en route.

Wow LOL what are the odds. 

Yeah I was really surprised at how booked they were. I guess most people got it scheduled pretty early!

I agree. i thought the labs/tutorials would be a bit different.

Does anyone know that the first day is for PharmD registration. Just curious to know where my date stands 

I guess I'll email Carol and ask what's up with the schedules.

I'm on July 5th at 11:15 AM. Idk anyone else's

What are the job prospects with a Pharmacy degree? (more than community and hospital) How is the future of Pharmacy? Is the market becoming too saturated and are there budget cuts? Is there room for growth as a pharmacist? 

Just looking for some clarity if I do get in and go for pharmacy.

What are the job prospects with a Pharmacy degree? (more than community and hospital) How is the future of Pharmacy? Is the market becoming too saturated and are there budget cuts? Is there room for growth as a pharmacist? 

Just looking for some clarity if I do get in and go for pharmacy.

Job prospects are still good in BC for community and much better for hospital (there are way more jobs then qualified people; although that requires a 1 year residency). Other areas people get into are research and industry. However, if you're looking for the most flexibility/diversity I would recommend a hospital residency as you'll have a much larger breadth of opportunities (can PM me if interested).

In terms of saturation, the lower mainland is much more competitive than most of BC and wages are typically lower with regards to community pharmacy.

Can anyone attest to the transit and bus experience to UBC in the mornings?  Particularly, the number 44 from downtown to UBC? Frequency of pass-ups, and general service experience? I am trying to get a sense of how our schedule according to the Standard Timetable fits in with transit, and whether it is smart to assume transit in Vancouver can be reliable for the purposes of keeping with our schedule?  

Archived