Premed 101 Forums

University Of British Columbia 2016 Applicants - Class Of 2020

bcftw123

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't get an interview either and I'm wondering how you plan to increase your pre-req GPA because I was under the impression that if you repeat any of the pre-reqs they will only look at your first attempt.

I know that if you repeat your first year prerequisites, they will average the two. The second years aren't looked at unless it is within the recent 30 credits.

How does the appeal work?

On a side note, should we expect (if we didn't get interview or accepted) the pre-reqs to change? Not too sure if upping my pre-req and last 30 credits is wise if they change the admission requirements.

The appeal that I was going for was on the basis of not meeting the GPA requirement, but I had extenuating circumstances for this cause. I'm disappointed because admissions appeared to not have followed the policy on this appeal because it was suppose to go straight from admissions to the senate admissions committee for review, but rather it went to the faculty where they based their decision on the review of the special considerations application I made with Acess and diversity. I got rejected by that application because I didn't explain things clear enough, but if they read my appeal letter, they would have realized that there were certain things beyond my control. So it was pretty ridiculous and unjust to have them send my appeal to the set of people and then base it on a previous decision without even going through my appeal package. Not to mention I was never contacted about the results. I had to personally contact admissions.

The details on appeals can be found here:

http://www.calendar.ubc.ca/vancouver/index.cfm?tree=2,16,0,0

I know that if you repeat your first year prerequisites, they will average the two. The second years aren't looked at unless it is within the recent 30 credits.

Are you serious?? I had no idea. I asked about ways to improve my pre-req average last year and they said there was nothing I could do. I'm gonna email and ask again. Thanks for letting me know! :)

Are you serious?? I had no idea. I asked about ways to improve my pre-req average last year and they said there was nothing I could do. I'm gonna email and ask again. Thanks for letting me know! :)

meet a minimum core average of 65%, or 2.50 GPA on a 4-pt scale, calculated on all attempts at first-year prerequisites (Biology, Chemistry, English, and Mathematics [Calculus]);

And this can be found here:

http://pharmsci.ubc.ca/programs/entry-practice-pharmd-degree/admissions-and-finances/admission-requirements

meet a minimum core average of 65%, or 2.50 GPA on a 4-pt scale, calculated on all attempts at first-year prerequisites (Biology, Chemistry, English, and Mathematics [Calculus]);

And this can be found here:http://pharmsci.ubc.ca/programs/entry-practice-pharmd-degree/admissions-and-finances/admission-requirements

Yeah I saw that and still they told me last year that if I repeated a course that I already had credit for, they would only look at the grade I received the first time I took the course. So I took that to mean that they only count all attempts if you happened to fail your first attempt. But I'm gonna email this year and get that figured out.

Yeah I saw that and still they told me last year that if I repeated a course that I already had credit for, they would only look at the grade I received the first time I took the course. So I took that to mean that they only count all attempts if you happened to fail your first attempt. But I'm gonna email this year and get that figured out.

Weird, I should have an email somewhere, but it said they will calculate the average between the attempts.

Edit: yeah I checked my emails just now I asked about how I took a first year math course, didn't do well in that one and retook a different math that was equivalent to the one I took. It was also allowed as a prerequisite and I was told that because they are equivalent courses, the average between the two will be used in the gpa for the first year courses.

If you are a UBC science student, you can't re-take a course that you've already passed unless you failed it on your first attempt. It's against the faculty of science rules.

If you are a UBC science student, you can't re-take a course that you've already passed unless you failed it on your first attempt. It's against the faculty of science rules.

What happens if you've graduated? Do those rules still apply? I'm technically no longer in Science.

What happens if you've graduated? Do those rules still apply? I'm technically no longer in Science.

If you've graduated, it means that you no longer have a degree when you return next year so you may be eligible to submit a course add/drop form and re-take the course as a "non-degree student"; however, you need to check with advising if they will even let you re-take the course. Since fist year courses are high in demand, they normally don't open up seats to students willing to re-take them unless they've failed the course. Hope that helps!

If you've graduated, it means that you no longer have a degree when you return next year so you may be eligible to submit a course add/drop form and re-take the course as a "non-degree student"; however, you need to check with advising if they will even let you re-take the course. Since fist year courses are high in demand, they normally don't open up seats to students willing to re-take them unless they've failed the course. Hope that helps!

That actually is really helpful!

I just received my confirmation email! My interview is the very first time slot, so I'm thinking I'll need a lot of coffee that morning :) If there's anyone in Victoria who'd like to get together and practice MMI things, let me know and maybe we can arrange some time to meet up!

I just received my confirmation email! My interview is the very first time slot, so I'm thinking I'll need a lot of coffee that morning :) If there's anyone in Victoria who'd like to get together and practice MMI things, let me know and maybe we can arrange some time to meet up!

Hey! I'm also applying from Victoria. We can probably figure out a time to meet up and practice MMI together!:)

I received confirmation email too. My interview is the very first time slot as well.. had to arrive at 7:30 AM that is way too early for me.

Hey if anyone wants to practice MMIs tomorrow at UBC I'm game- I know there is a small MMI session happening tomorrow but if your not in that (like me) we can prep at Woodward or Irving Library  - just PM me :)

Couldn't make it tomorrow.. perhaps another day? 

For about a month one of our professors has continually been saying that we would be given a one pager that pretty much allowed you to work through the cases by understanding them (if you didn't know what to do the one pager won't help you). Our final exam is on Wednesday, we found out this morning that the person controlling the module said no. Not through an actual email sent by the module leader but through a student who asked. The module leader was there the day the prof had said we would be given the one pager and from day one there was no intent to let us use it on our exam but we found out today. I'm transferring out after this year to another pharm school looking at alberta, sask, memorial, and U of T. Like I said guys look at other places if you have options. If you're dead set on UBC not stopping you at all. 

The appeal that I was going for was on the basis of not meeting the GPA requirement, but I had extenuating circumstances for this cause. I'm disappointed because admissions appeared to not have followed the policy on this appeal because it was suppose to go straight from admissions to the senate admissions committee for review, but rather it went to the faculty where they based their decision on the review of the special considerations application I made with Acess and diversity. I got rejected by that application because I didn't explain things clear enough, but if they read my appeal letter, they would have realized that there were certain things beyond my control. So it was pretty ridiculous and unjust to have them send my appeal to the set of people and then base it on a previous decision without even going through my appeal package. Not to mention I was never contacted about the results. I had to personally contact admissions.

The details on appeals can be found here:

http://www.calendar.ubc.ca/vancouver/index.cfm?tree=2,16,0,0

I also did not get an interview but would like to write an appeal. On the link that you posted it says: The appeal form along with (a) a letter of appeal outlining the reasons for the appeal and the circumstances relating to the appeal, and (B) any relevant supporting documents (see appeal form for details) should be submitted in one complete package to appeal.admissions@ubc.ca by the deadline.

I understand I need to submit a letter along with documentations if I have any and an appeal form, but could you please tell me where is this appeal form?! I looked for it everywhere on UBC Calendar but can't find it! 

Hi,

To any applicants that are planning on practicing for MMI's, I am available for a meet up this Friday April 15 in the evening around 7pm. I haven't thought of a place yet, either in Richmond or Surrey. I was thinking SFU Surrey, but I am open to any other suggestions.

Let me know if you're interested :)

Archived