Premed 101 Forums

Man... are things slow around here!

Guest Mimicat65

Guest ryguy

Well,

I received a welcome email on friday but just received my accpetance today (monday) in the mail. Now it's off to find a real estate agent and some movers.

finally - 6 months of gut rot from waiting for the mail - is over.

Looking forward to meeting everyone in Aug.

Guest DonaldKaufman

Sweet! That is certainly great news! I guess they underestimated the slow pace of the postal system. Were you confused when you got the email Friday? Congrats on the acceptance! I guess that means that you were likely in the deferred pile, so hopefully the wait won't be too much longer for everyone else.

You're hiring a real estate agent? Are you thinking of buying a place?

I see that we have the same subpar MCAT essay score (O). I hope they'll allow us to draw pictures to explain our answers on exams next year. According to the MCAT, I'm pretty much illiterate.

-DK

Guest taos77

Actually DK brings up an interesting point. Does anyone have any insight into the status of the deferred pile? Anyone willing to phone and find out what's going on at this point? ryguy: what do you think made the difference this year? Are you really scraping by with just the bare minimum GPA? I'm just curious because I'd love to know more about what compensates for a bad GPA and likewise: what the downfall is for those with good GPA's.

CONGRATULATIONS--it's great news!

Guest ryguy

I graduated back in '96 from Engineering with what I thought were decent marks, until I started applying to med school. Last year, as an OOP at Dal, I didn't even get an interview. This year, as a NB resident, my marks made the cut-off, but not by much.

I couldn't tell you what made the difference this year. I've had some pretty great experiences that led me to this point so I think they helped as much as anything.

DK - yes I'm looking for a house - probably in the Clayton park area (hopefully). I'd love to be within walking distance, but family well-being comes first.

Guest Carpedium

Hello Ryguy,

I'm just wondering what types of experiences were you referring to?? Were they all med related?? I'm just curious, b/c my marks are ok (~85%) .....but not the best, that's for sure. I think that it's my MCAT's that are holding me back (I just have 2 points above the min. req., but a good writing score)....I've applied twice already and I'm still waiting to hear :\ ...any advice for those who need to beef up their application experience wise to compensate for mcats or marks?

Guest RealBeef

From my understanding of the selection process I do not believe that they have looked at the deferred pile yet, not since they dumped people into it anyway .... I can say with 95% Confidence that I am currently a member of that pile as there is probably only a couple more Ad Comm meetings and I havent heard a peep from the Dal Camp. The chances dont seem so well for us deferred ppl .... ~40 or so battling for about ~5 spots or so .... and from the sounds of all those people accepted thus far everyone seems to be accepting the offers unlike what one hears in the Ontario forums. Should be interesting ...

Taos77: Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I went into the Admissions office the week of Victoria Day (2 weeks ago?) and asked about the a few things, including the deferred pile .... the secretary said that she had no information concerning the deferred pile and has never seen it .... she went on to say that Dr. Dan is the gatekeeper of that list. I looked over her shoulder and saw a suspicious looking pile of applications ... wheres the Choloform and hankerchief <sp?> when you need it eh? :) Looks like they are tight lipped about it and only told me that she understood the wait is hard but I would hear soon ... <cough> .... right .....

Beef.

Guest Cowboy Mouse

One of the only useful bits on Medix is that it says there are 73 members of the Class of 2008. I'm guessing it means there are 73 so far, which would include OOP spots. So there may be around 20 spots left.

Guest CaesarCornelius

Those numbers on medix may be a bit out of date.

Welcome to the forum Gordo!

I find these boards so helpful even now that I am in medical school. A lot of people forget about these forums when they get accepted, but I have learned so much more about residency, LMCC, electives, housing, different schools, different specialties, being a 'real-world' doc... Its great!

Good luck to all those still waiting!

CC

Guest taos77

So CC....I am assuming that there are likely less than the 20 spots available based on your last post. Do you have any additional insight into the process at this point? Is the mail sent by regular mail? I'm just wondering because I am currently living out of province and curious how long it would take to hear something back.

Guest Gordo58

Thanks CC, although i have become quite obsessive with checking this site. The long anxiety of me waiting to go to dal has finally taken its toll and forced me to write something.... THis forum has been awesome though... knowning when the mail will arrive etc... good times! guess ill know from dal in a couple of weeks!

Guest CaesarCornelius

Taos,

Yeah I suppose thats what I mean, but don't be discouraged. I just meant that there were letters sent out this week, so that number may be a bit bigger (a few). I will keep checking it to see if it changes.

You never really know that you're in the deferred pile unless you: 1) Find out you are accepted after the last meeting 2) Are waitlisted. BUt either way, the letter comes in the same envelope at the same speed (ie:snail mail) as the other letters.

You might already know how the deferred pile works, but I can explain it again. All of the deferred files are reviewed again on the very last week. They are ranked and the rest of the available spots are filled. Once all of the spots are filled they create a wait list, and then sent rejection letters to the rest.

Later

CC

Archived