Premed 101 Forums

Interview Invites & Regrets (2015/2016 App. Cycle)

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Something that I'm discouraged about is that last year I was rejected with a TFR of 50.88 and a NAQ of 18.12.  In one year I honestly didn't improve my NAQ that much, though I was able to include 2 summer jobs that I did the summer of my last application year (June 2nd deadline made it so I couldn't include it last time) and one job during the school year (only ~170 hrs), and an academic scholarship, so I doubt my NAQ went up that much. Probably went up BARELY enough to get an interview (if we're assuming they have stopped sending rejections). 

...So with a TFR of JUST barely over 52.5, I'm in the bottom percentile of those receiving an interview, meaning if my interview is above average I doubt I even have a shot of getting in...

Is this just me being pessimistic?

Something that I'm discouraged about is that last year I was rejected with a TFR of 50.88 and a NAQ of 18.12.  In one year I honestly didn't improve my NAQ that much, though I was able to include 2 summer jobs that I did the summer of my last application year (June 2nd deadline made it so I couldn't include it last time) and one job during the school year (only ~170 hrs), and an academic scholarship, so I doubt my NAQ went up that much. Probably went up BARELY enough to get an interview (if we're assuming they have stopped sending rejections). 

...So with a TFR of JUST barely over 52.5, I'm in the bottom percentile of those receiving an interview, meaning if my interview is above average I doubt I even have a shot of getting in...

Who knows at this point, honestly. It could be just a different applicant pool this year, so it's kind of hard to compare!

Incredibly so...

I cannot speak for everyone and this may sound more like an anecdotal experience, but if you do get a chance for an interview then you have a chance for admission. I wrote about my journey in the non-trad success story forum but the gist of it is that I knew I was near last among those interviewed and still got in by destroying the MMI. If you are worried about being near bottom, it's time to do something about it by working your a@# off to practice + read + reflect over and over. You need to develop some deeper level of critical thinking, not be obtuse etc... People can be themselves all they want, but if yourself isn't capable then you'll need to work on being the best you you can be.

Best wishes

- G

I have no memory of that, and that was my cycle.  Maybe cause I had already been accepted elsewhere and was drugged out from my wisdom teeth surgery, haha. 

I don't think there were issues in May, just in December. I remember talking to people who got rejections, and others who got invites within hours of each other that year.

Incredibly so...

I cannot speak for everyone and this may sound more like an anecdotal experience, but if you do get a chance for an interview then you have a chance for admission. I wrote about my journey in the non-trad success story forum but the gist of it is that I knew I was near last among those interviewed and still got in by destroying the MMI. If you are worried about being near bottom, it's time to do something about it by working your a@# off to practice + read + reflect over and over. You need to develop some deeper level of critical thinking, not be obtuse etc... People can be themselves all they want, but if yourself isn't capable then you'll need to work on being the best you you can be.

Best wishes

- G

This, many of us who barely got interviews, got accepted.

If you get an interview, you have a good chance of acceptance - you need to do well on the interview of course, but dont let the pressure take away from your performance.

It is not a black/white process, so dont think of it in the way of being bottom percentile. Think of it as - you got the interview and now move forward.

Alright, got back from work finally haha.  Hope this helps those hoping to apply in the future.  Again, big congratulations to those who received invites today :D .  I have a great feeling those who haven't been contacted yet, will have a great Thursday tomorrow ;) .  Very excited to see the rest of you at interviews!

TIME STAMP:  1:30 PM (PST)

Interview Invite:  Invited

Early/Regular Deadline:  Early

Interview Date:  February 13th

AGPA:  ~84%

MCAT:  30+

Year:  Bachelors

Geography:  IP

ECs:  A lot of philanthropy and leadership (fundraising and education field, 1000+ hours) , lots of hospital and health-related volunteering (total 2000+ hours), lots of community help, lab research (epigenomics) and clinical research (BC Children's), shadowing, sports, music, and other things.

Procrastinating for a final tomorrow so might as well.

TIME STAMP: 3:46 PM December 7
Interview Invite: Regret
Early/Regular Deadline: Regular
Interview Date: N/A
OGPA: 91.27%
AGPA (if applicable): N/A
MCAT: 131/128/131/128

Year: 3rd

ECs: UG research, some club/committee leadership, hospital, food bank (most under a year though)

Geography: IP
NAQ (if applicable): 16.53 
AQ (if applicable): 33.77

TFR: 50.30

Kind of disappointed to have missed it not by much but oh well. Still have lots of time and I really had to rush my application (did it in 3 days :\ ). Hopefully I can get that AQ up a bit and that NAQ up a lot this year! :)

Congratulations to everyone who got it!

Still in disbelief I got an interview invite and I am posting my stats here on PM101! I have been a long time lurker on this forum and finally have a chance to post my stats! Hopefully this gives hope to those with low average.
This is my 5th attempt (YEP 5th!) and first time receiving interview invite! 

So to those of you who got rejected, all I want to say is that I have been in your shoes for 4 years in a row and last year I missed the interview cut off by a few points. I know it sucks sooooo bad, but keep doing what you are doing and eventually you will get in! 

TIME STAMP:  1:31 PM (PST)

Interview Invite:  Invited

Early/Regular Deadline:  Early

Interview Date:  February 7th

AGPA:  ~81%

MCAT:  Old MCAT

Year:  Bachelors

Geography: IP

ECs: Lots and lots of volunteer work, most are long term (4-7 years in length), research etc. Last year I had an NAQ of 34.

PM me if anyone has any questions.

Archived