Premed 101 Forums

Interview Invites & Regrets (2015/2016 App. Cycle)

TIME STAMP: 12:21 PST
Interview Invite: Invited
Early/Regular Deadline: Regular
Interview Date: Feb 7
GPA: Dropped a year of C's and F's from 9 years ago
AGPA (if applicable): 89
MCAT: 513 (127/127/127/132)
ECs: Very non-trad. Tons of work experience (not glamorous, bartending/barista jobs included ), longer term international work, coaching, high level sports, leadership positions. Included a lot of variety, PM me if you'd like.
Year: Finishing UG this spring
Geography: IP

I feel incredibly honoured to have this opportunity. Good luck everyone!

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Time Stamp: 12:21PM PST

Interview Date: Feb 14
AGPA (if applicable): 81.4 %
MCAT: meets cut offs
ECs: Varied and I think quite a bit but who knows. I would suspect that this is probably what got me the interview...
Year: Completed MPH degree 5.5 years ago and BA degree 7.5 years ago

Missed it last year by under 0.5 of a point so I am so excited and thrilled. 

CONGRATS TO EVERYONE WHO GOT AN INVITE!

To those who didn't - I know how frustrating and disappointing it is. I was absolutely crushed last year. But keep trying if you want this!!! You can do it.

Feb 11th, 2013. Found this site on the same day as receiving yet another brutal midterm grade. Polished off 2nd year, similar to 1st, with a sub-80 GPA and haven't looked back since. Credit given where credit due; these forums kicked my ass in gear.

Interview Invite: Invite

Interview Date: February 7th.

GPA: ~82%

AGPA (if applicable): 85%

MCAT: Above cutoffs

ECs: Hospital volunteering, long-term and diverse community service (independent and organization-based), provincial-level service awards, multiple club exec, overseas service trip (x2), steady work in healthcare throughout undergrad, TA, research (no pubs), other construction work, Rec sports, and random but dedicated hobbies. PM me if you'd like!

Year: BSc

NAQ (if applicable): last year, 31

AQ: last year, 17

Looking forward to meeting all of you at interview week! Congratulations to all who have received invites! :)

Time Stamp: 12:21PM PST

Interview Date: Feb 7
AGPA (if applicable): 81.5 %
MCAT: 29
ECs: 5 years work (3 in Public Health but Analysis not clinical), student clubs, charity board volunteer
Year: Completed Masters

I missed last year by 0.59 points and I was crushed but had to get back on it, so if you got that awful regret letter, I hope you can find renewed hope in this post...as I have found in so many people on this forum. I am a new lurker but this group has been helpful in keeping my head up (sans yesterday's troll) so I thought I should join and do the same for others.

See you all at the interviews...is there an advantage to certain dates/times?

Interview Date: February 14th

GPA: 

AGPA (if applicable): 88%

MCAT: 33 (12/10/11)

ECs: club president, 2 research positions (1 pub), language instructor abroad (work and volunteer), medical volunteer abroad, university student's council roles and activities, orientation volunteer, various mentorship programs, backpacking travels, piano (17+ years) + guitar, other small interests/athletics/activities

Year: graduated with BSc in June (currently in postgrad)

I also missed the cut-off last year by a small amount and was heartbroken, followed by receiving "regrets" across the board for all other applications (Ontario). for those who weren't invited this year, I know how much it sucks but do not let that discourage you from applying again - this is the first good news I've received and it feels that much more gratifying. I cried....

good luck to all of you :) 

Time stamp: 3:21 PM EST

Interview Date: Febuary 13th

cGPA: ~88%

MCAT: 32

ECs: Nothing that jumps off the page, but a lot of variation. Lots of different positions with marginalized and vulnerable populations, a number of clinical experiences, 2 humanitarian trips abroad, Big Brothers Bis Sisters, plenty of (intramural and club) sports, founded a cardiac rehab program. My application was very employment heavy, including starting my own company in 2014. One experience as an RA (no pubs). No notable awards.

Year: Last year of undergrad

Geography: OOP

Pretty suprised to be honest. With how much lower my marks are than the average OOP, they must have really valued my ECs, which I was not expecting. This has been my dream school since first year, so I am very excited to interview here. Good luck to all.

TIME STAMP: 15:21 EST

Interview Date: Feb 6th, 1:45PM
AGPA (if applicable): 92.33%
MCAT: 30
ECs: student government, research in Canada and abroad, honours thesis, 4 years of hospital volunteering, leadership and volunteering awards, 4 years of intramural sports, etc
Year: Completed UG (2015), currently working full time
Geography: IP/OOP: OOP
NAQ (if applicable): 27.57
AQ (if applicable): 34.91

TRF (last year): 62.48

missed it by a point last year, so super excited to interview this year!

TIME STAMP: 12:22 PST

Interview Date: February 14th.

oGPA: ~88% by my calculations

AGPA (if applicable): NA

MCAT: Hah!

ECs: Lots of work experience, currently working as a nurse, hobbies, research (no pubs), volunteer with a non-profit that i LOVE, working with foster kids. Most of my application I just talked about what has made me who I am today (parenting, caregiving, overcoming adversity).. PM me if you want more details

Year: Graduated my BScN in april, currently in a BSc to finish the pre-reqs

NAQ (if applicable): NA

AQ: NA

I'm so honoured... Still in shock... I'm looking forward to meeting all of you wonderful people at the interviews

Interview Date: February 14th.

oGPA: ~88% by my calculations

AGPA (if applicable): NA

MCAT: Hah!

ECs: Lots of work experience, currently working as a nurse, hobbies, research (no pubs), volunteer with a non-profit that i LOVE, working with foster kids. Most of my application I just talked about what has made me who I am today (parenting, caregiving, overcoming adversity).. PM me if you want more details

Year: Graduated my BScN in april, currently in a BSc to finish the pre-reqs

NAQ (if applicable): NA

AQ: NA

I'm so honoured... Still in shock... I'm looking forward to meeting all of you wonderful people at the interviews

I REMEMBER YOUR POST FROM THE SUMMER

YAY

Like before, if you need help don't hesitate to let me know.

- G

TIME STAMP: 1:31 PST

Early/Regular Deadline: Early

Interview Date: XXXXXX

oGPA: 79.1%

AGPA (if applicable): 81.48

MCAT: Old Mcat 30+

ECs: Long term care centers, Tutoring, Mentoring, Non Profit Organizations Executive Work, Student club involvement, Varsity Sports, Unique Hobbies, Research (No Pubs), Travel and Volunteering in my home country).  Kept 2 Jobs in School, work 3 after Graduating. Compared to the profile on this forum my ECs are pretty standard, but almost everyone of them had personal significance and helped me grow.

Year: Graduated 2013

So excited and honored to be interviewing, and looking forward to practicing with you guys.

TIME STAMP: 3:21pm EST

Interview Date: February 6th

AGPA: 90.61

MCAT: 34

Year: BSc 2015

NAQ (last year): 34.50

AQ (last year): 33.05

Very excited to return to the beautiful city of Vancouver!

TIME STAMP: 1:21 PM PST (3:21 PM EST)
Interview Date: Haven't decided yet!
GPA: 3.2 undergrad (I know eh?) + 3.85 PhD studies = ?
AGPA (if applicable): Really not sure.
MCAT: PS/VR/BS/PSYCH - 128/127/131/126
ECs: Fairly varied with significant time contribution to a few select ones. I also have fairly extensive research experience (3 first author pubs, 6 total pubs, tons of international and nation conference presentations oral and poster). Running (completed 2 marathons), SCUBA diving, skiing. If you want to know more, msg me!
Year: Completed PhD
Geography: IP (Thank you PhD!)

I am extremely humbled and honoured. I look forward to meeting everyone in Vancouver! To those who received a rejection, keep going, if it is what you want you can make it happen! To those with low GPAs, please don't be discouraged. I have read these forums for the past 3 years and have always felt very bad about my low undergrad GPA. I realized it would be a very big weakness so I did everything in my power to make up for it (extensive volunteering and a PhD!).

Congrats to everyone else who received an invite! Off to prepare for interviews.

TIME STAMP: 12:21 PM PST
AGPA: 84.73
MCAT: old MCAT 29
ECs: Research coordinator at a non-profit research institute (4.5 years), member of various committees and clubs, volunteering, travel, pet ownership, cycling, yoga, other various hobbies. If anyone wants specifics, let me know.
Year: Graduated BSc 2011
NAQ (last year): 22.28
AQ (last year): 24.25

Perused these forums for a couple years so I thought it was worthwhile to share.. Good luck to anybody applying.

GPA: 85.6%

AGPA (if applicable): 86.5%

MCAT: 35 (VR:11, BS: 11, PS: 13)

ECs: President of Student Government, worked full-time for a year at an international medical insurance corporation, 2 years as a student athletic therapist, a couple conference presentations (national and international), multiple scholarships (including a national scholarship from CIHR), 3 years involved as a organizer in Federal political campaigns, played semi-pro soccer for 1 year, random activities (I wrote about hiking and skiing), undergrad and graduate TA, 5 years as a camp counsellor/director during high school and undergrad... then all the basics such as hospital volunteer and random undergrad volunteering (e.g Frosh leader, clubs, university service). 

Long story short, you don't need to have a "typical" medical applicant CV to receive a high score for the NAQ. As well, I didn't use all the available spots for every section - I left out a lot of the smaller volunteer positions. Feel free to message me for more details.

Year: MSc

NAQ (if applicable): last year, ~34 (was OOP)

AQ: last year, ~24

Hey everyone, long time lurker here. I thought I'd post this to give anybody who have stats on the lower end some hope. I remember scrolling through these posts in previous years, always looking for lower GPAs, which encouraged me to continue trying. Even if your marks aren't stellar, there may still be hope!

TIME STAMP: 12:21 PST Dec. 10th

GPA: not sure, pretty low

AGPA (if applicable): 83.7%

MCAT: 31 (10PS/10VR/11BS)

ECs: 4 years of part-time employment at my university, a bunch of of volunteer roles centered on assisting first-years (frosh leader, etc), a few student government related positions. Hospital volunteering for 4 years. One summer of research. I also included initiatives I began in high school, and hobbies I developed and continue today.

Year: Graduated BSc 2015.

TIME STAMP: 1:21 PM PST (3:21 PM EST)

Interview Date: Haven't decided yet!

GPA: 3.2 undergrad (I know eh?) + 3.85 PhD studies = ?

AGPA (if applicable): Really not sure.

MCAT: PS/VR/BS/PSYCH - 128/127/131/126

ECs: Fairly varied with significant time contribution to a few select ones. I also have fairly extensive research experience (3 first author pubs, 6 total pubs, tons of international and nation conference presentations oral and poster). Running (completed 2 marathons), SCUBA diving, skiing. If you want to know more, msg me!

Year: Completed PhD

Geography: IP (Thank you PhD!)

I am extremely humbled and honoured. I look forward to meeting everyone in Vancouver! To those who received a rejection, keep going, if it is what you want you can make it happen! To those with low GPAs, please don't be discouraged. I have read these forums for the past 3 years and have always felt very bad about my low undergrad GPA. I realized it would be a very big weakness so I did everything in my power to make up for it (extensive volunteering and a PhD!).

Congrats to everyone else who received an invite! Off to prepare for interviews.

Wow!!! This is crazy that you would get an interview with such a low GPA. A lot of people work hard for this for many years! At least its good to know that you don't have to be the best in everything. It's also much easier in grad school to do more volunteering especially towards the end or early at the beginning. It's not like being in an undergrad program. Best of luck!

A little late, but might as well :)

TIME STAMP: 2:39 EST
Interview Date: Feb 6
GPA: >90%
MCAT: above cutoffs
ECs: Diverse work experience, leadership positions in school clubs, some  international work

Year: BSc completed 2015

Late post:

TIME STAMP: 2:21 CT

GPA: ~84%
MCAT: above cutoffs... barely
ECs: Work experiences, multiple campus club/community leadership, long term volunteer (1500+ hrs), national scholarships

Year: BSc completed 2014

• 1 month later...

TIME STAMP: Dec. 9, 2015 2:30 PM
Early/Regular Deadline: Early
Interview Date: Feb. 6, 2016
GPA: 91.8%
MCAT: 132/129/131/128  (520) 

ECs: Non-trad. shadowing in clinics/scrubbing in on surgery, many years working as a journeyperson to pay for school (really helps me relate to patients well), volunteerism position created working with disabled persons in rural communities to address underserved population needs, recreational sports, supplemental instructor, T.A., tutoring students with disabilities, limited research though it was completed independently incl. getting funding etc.  I have never done anything just for the sake of my app so ECs might come off as lacking focus, but I just grab opportunity as I see it..

Year: UG complete
Geography:OOP

Archived