Premed 101 Forums

We Are Some First Year Year Ubc Medicine Students - Ask Us Anything!*

I didn't buy a single book in my first year.  You will find that electronic copies of the relevant textbook will find its way to you (people in class share them so just look out for them!)

Will profs refer to specific pages and chapters like in undergrad, or is learning mostly lecture-based with readings at one's own discretion?

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it will likely be different now that the curriculum has changed to the spiral format, but back in the day a common resource for UBC was a completed set of the objectives for each week/block.

Those helped a lot of people focus in pre clerkship, but I'm sure the objectives have changed with the curriculum renewal.

In first year I used: Gray's Anatomy and the anatomy notes for each week and then a whole slew of e books that circulate during orientation week.

In second year I used: neuroanatomy by krebs (since she teaches the course), Gray's Anatomy and then a slew of e books that were relevant to each block.

In third year I used: various textbooks relevant to each block- Usually the "first aid for x specialty" and then Toronto notes as well.

In fourth year I used: Toronto notes and again whatever text books for my various electives.

For the Principals of Medical Practice exam in 4th year I created notes from the lectures and referenced Toronot Notes.

For any osce I used the prep manuals provided and wasted my money on the Edmonton manual.

For the LMCC part 1 I used Toronto notes and Canada qbank.

Hey Guys,

I'm trying to put together a budge and I'm slightly confused. When you pay tuition, do you get a monthly bus pass for the public transport system, or is it for something else? If the bus pass is included, how do you actually get one? If the monthly pass isn't included, how much will it cost roughly?

Thanks!

Hey Guys,

I'm trying to put together a budge and I'm slightly confused. When you pay tuition, do you get a monthly bus pass for the public transport system, or is it for something else? If the bus pass is included, how do you actually get one? If the monthly pass isn't included, how much will it cost roughly?

Thanks!

UBC is enrolled in the UPASS program. So for Sept to December, you will get an unlimited bus pass that most university students get. 

In order to make use of the UPASS benefit, you first have to go to a translink dealer and get a blue compass card. Once you have this plastic card, you then go online and "assign" your monthly UPASS to it digitally(you would sign in with your UBC SSC account, so it knows your student number), generally after the 15th of the month prior(i.e. to activate your october pass, you will be able to do so anytime after Sept 15th), something to that effect. 

https://upassbc.translink.ca/

http://planning.ubc.ca/vancouver/transportation-planning/u-pass-compass-card

You will not have it available for August though, so you will have to load money onto your compass card, before you can make benefit of your UPASS(monthly unlimited) for september onwards. Good thing about loading money onto the compass card is, you don't have to worry about having change and correct amounts for the bus. 90 mins on transit costs 2.10$.   So budget 4.20$ per day you commute to and from school for August, assuming you are still within the Vancouver zone and not needing to take skytrain. It will be more if you're commuting from surrey or burnaby that may fall in different fare zones on the skytrain.

The websites can explain it better than me though!

UBC is enrolled in the UPASS program. So for Sept to December, you will get an unlimited bus pass that most university students get. 

In order to make use of the UPASS benefit, you first have to go to a translink dealer and get a blue compass card. Once you have this plastic card, you then go online and "assign" your monthly UPASS to it digitally(you would sign in with your UBC SSC account, so it knows your student number), generally after the 15th of the month prior(i.e. to activate your october pass, you will be able to do so anytime after Sept 15th), something to that effect. 

https://upassbc.translink.ca/

http://planning.ubc.ca/vancouver/transportation-planning/u-pass-compass-card

You will not have it available for August though, so you will have to load money onto your compass card, before you can make benefit of your UPASS(monthly unlimited) for september onwards. Good thing about loading money onto the compass card is, you don't have to worry about having change and correct amounts for the bus. 90 mins on transit costs 2.10$.   So budget 4.20$ per day you commute to and from school for August, assuming you are still within the Vancouver zone and not needing to take skytrain. It will be more if you're commuting from surrey or burnaby that may fall in different fare zones on the skytrain.

The websites can explain it better than me though!

Great! Thanks Commons! 

Hi all! Just from another thread people were mentioning that they were already buying stethoscopes and I got worried haha. Didn't know we needed them right away! Do we actually need to get them before school starts? Or is there a group order at the beginning of the year? Are there discounts if you wait for O-week?

Hi all! Just from another thread people were mentioning that they were already buying stethoscopes and I got worried haha. Didn't know we needed them right away! Do we actually need to get them before school starts? Or is there a group order at the beginning of the year? Are there discounts if you wait for O-week?

No need before school starts. People just put in group orders. Generally not needed for a few weeks. Even then, very rarely use it...

Hello, have they taken away the early deadline? The only application deadline I see for this cycle is September 15, 2016... typically early deadline is Aug. 15, but I don't seem to see that on the website anymore

Hey!

Yes! I called admissions few weeks ago and they said there's only Sep 15th deadline now. The early deadline is taken out :(

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding the dedicated block time for MEDD 419 in year 1 from May to June, are there still regularly scheduled classes or small group meetings and where do they take place? What is the official end date for MEDD 419? Thanks!

There won't be any regularly scheduled classes for that block period.  There will be a couple small group meetings as part of the MEDD 419 course but you can speak to your advisor and have these done via phone, email, Skype, etc.  Not 100% sure, but I believe MEDD 419 ends on May 26th.

I have a general applications question for those who have completed an UBC OAS - did you use abbreviations in your activity descriptions? I.e. VGH for Vancouver General Hospital or UBC for University of British Columbia? I ask because, obviously, being able to abbreviate things opens up more characters to write!!

Do you think this would affect the review of one's NAQ? 

I have a general applications question for those who have completed an UBC OAS - did you use abbreviations in your activity descriptions? I.e. VGH for Vancouver General Hospital or UBC for University of British Columbia? I ask because, obviously, being able to abbreviate things opens up more characters to write!!

Do you think this would affect the review of one's NAQ? 

Depend what it is. Those are very well known abbreviations so yes I did abbreviate them. But anything else, like school clubs for example, I'd write the whole thing out at least once and then use abbreviations.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey can a first year tell me about these 'progress tests' throughout the semester? Cheers

Sure, they happen throughout the 4 years of med school and are used to gauge how your learning and knowledge set has shaped over the years.  It's not something you need to worry about.  Bottom line - they are just formative!

I know most people use pdf/e-textbooks, but will there be a used book sale at the start of the year? I learn better with hard copies so I was wondering whether I should buy them on amazon now or hope to get a better price from upper years!

Im sure some upper years will spam the med-all or post on FB, so just wait until the begginign of the year. 

if not, you can always get amazon prime(6 months free for students) and have most books they sell in your hands in 2 days. 

You wont need textbooks for the first few weeks anyways, since its orientation

Archived