Premed 101 Forums

We Are Some First Year Year Ubc Medicine Students - Ask Us Anything!*

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/6/2017 at 9:59 PM, UBC_GRAD said:

Just wondering if those family practice sessions are scheduled for every week or are there certain number of sessions in each term? Thanks.

4 in term one; 5 in term two. For weeks where you don't have family practice shadowing scheduled, you'll have a seminar on campus to attend.

16 hours ago, UBC_GRAD said:

Hi! does anyone know if there will be CPR/AED Training course organized by upper years or the faculty or do we have to register for the course through independent organizations (Red Cross, etc)? Thanks 

In July, we got an email suggesting CPR courses that were specifically organized for Med/Dent students. I took the course at http://www.vancitycpr.com/

The other suggestion was Link2Life Emergency Training.

Do you recommend buying all of the textbooks listed on the Purple Book for each course? They are quite expensive so if someone could kindly comment on which textbooks are necessary/helpful to buy, that would be great. 

Also, I heard from some previous medical students that there some textbooks are available in electronic format and is circulated during the orientation week by upper year medical students. I am wondering if this is actually true for this year as well? 

Any info would be appreciate! Thanks 

20 hours ago, 46dr said:

Is there a spring break in year one?

I don't think so. There wasn't one in my year one and two. 

13 hours ago, UBC_GRAD said:

Do you recommend buying all of the textbooks listed on the Purple Book for each course? They are quite expensive so if someone could kindly comment on which textbooks are necessary/helpful to buy, that would be great. 

Also, I heard from some previous medical students that there some textbooks are available in electronic format and is circulated during the orientation week by upper year medical students. I am wondering if this is actually true for this year as well? 

You will likely receive pdf versions of those textbooks from the second years. I would hold off on buying any books (assuming you're ok with pdf versions) until you've met with your second year buddy.

Also, I personally only really used a few books in first year. Harrison's, Toronto notes, bates clinical skills, the medical interview and the lipincott neuro anatomy book. 

On 2017-06-08 at 11:25 AM, 46dr said:

Is there a spring break in year one?

There is no reading break for first year medical students in the Fall term or Winter term. We get about 2-3 weeks off for winter break and you get ~3 months of summer vacation following the end of FLEX in 1st year.

21 hours ago, UBC_GRAD said:

I would hold off on buying any textbooks until at least the start of first year and after meeting with the second years during the orientation week in August :) I personally used a few resources like Toronto Notes for CBL prep etc. and there are a lot of electronic resources and online resources that will be useful to you in first year.

On 2017-06-07 at 8:38 PM, UBC_GRAD said:

Hi! does anyone know if there will be CPR/AED Training course organized by upper years or the faculty or do we have to register for the course through independent organizations (Red Cross, etc)? Thanks 

You will get an email from the FoM later in June or July with contact information for different providers of the HCP/CPR First Aid course in Vancouver. For my year I took my certification course at the Medical Student Alumni Centre (MSAC) at VGH. The course is offered multiple times throughout the summer and I also remember there was a course organized by upper year medical students that was offered at UBC in August closer to the start of term.

On 6/8/2017 at 6:34 PM, UBC_GRAD said:

Most people buy zero textbooks. You'll get PDFs from upper years. Or you can find it yourself.

Even with a thumb drive full of hundreds of textbook PDFs, most of the time you won't use any. Aside from a quick skim of Toronto Notes or First Aid...most people never use textbooks. While some people live by textbooks.  Most of what you need is in the lecture ppts or resources on medicol, on UpToDate, or on Wikipedia.  Many i know who do use textbooks, do so because they actually find it interesting and want to learn more (like neuro, or internal etc), but you do not need to use textbooks if you don't want to.

3 hours ago, chr1899 said:

Is the CPR/AED course a one day course, or is it a multi day course that includes first aid? I thought it was the CPR/AED only, but want to double check. 

HCP is a few hours, on one day. If you get a good instructor, you'll likely finish earlier than the prescribed time.

18 hours ago, doctorUBC said:

I'm interested in learning more about the FLEX projects, can any of you share what kind of projects are there? I'm not interested in the lab-based research as much, but I hear there are projects where you can go to Uganda and other countries? 

Those are part of the global health initiative and I believe you can participate in that program for your flex project. 

http://globalhealth.med.ubc.ca/service/student-groups/global-health-initiative/

21 minutes ago, thank4 said:

Just wondering, where did you guys get your documents notarized and how much did it cost? I called a couple notary public close to where I live and they all quoted me about $100 for 3 documents...

Is that normal? Thanks!

I paid $36 for 2 documents. I think standard price where I am in Langley is ~$20 for the first document and ~$15 for each subsequent document. 

Did you make it clear what it's for? Legal documents like wills cost more than the photocopied passport/drivers license we need for CPSBC.

4 hours ago, thank4 said:

Just wondering, where did you guys get your documents notarized and how much did it cost? I called a couple notary public close to where I live and they all quoted me about $100 for 3 documents...

Is that normal? Thanks!

Hey thank4

I am curious...which documents need to be notarized? I haven't caught up with all the paperwork yet so it will be good to keep in mind as I go through the process.

Thanks!

58 minutes ago, steelheader said:

Hey thank4

I am curious...which documents need to be notarized? I haven't caught up with all the paperwork yet so it will be good to keep in mind as I go through the process.

Thanks!

Look at the welcome letter from CPSBC :) you need notarized your passport, drivers license, and any name change certificates (or marriage license) if applicable and then send them in with a passport style photo to the CPSBC. You should do it ASAP if you have received your UBC student number because the documents need to be received (not just sent) by July 6th.

7 hours ago, thank4 said:

Is that normal? Thanks!

I called around and ~$35 per document was pretty standard for most places, so I guess that's normal. I also got a referral from a friend for a lawyer who only charges $10 per document in Vancouver, but he only does notarizations on a first come first served basis for ~30 min 3x per week.

1 hour ago, frenchpress said:

I called around and ~$35 per document was pretty standard for most places, so I guess that's normal. I also got a referral from a friend for a lawyer who only charges $10 per document in Vancouver, but he only does notarizations on a first come first served basis for ~30 min 3x per week.

If you're outside Vancouver and in the valley for any reason (or if the drive is worth it to you!), the notaries in Maple Ridge and Langley that I called were all closer to $35 for two documents or $50 for three. I went to Donna van Beek Notary in Langley.

On 2017-06-14 at 6:00 PM, doctorUBC said:

I'm interested in learning more about the FLEX projects, can any of you share what kind of projects are there? I'm not interested in the lab-based research as much, but I hear there are projects where you can go to Uganda and other countries? 

I didn't participate in any of the UBC Global Health Initiative (GHI) FLEX projects, but I do know quite a few students in our class that did projects in different countries such as Uganda and Nepal over the 6 week FLEX period following final exams in April. I recommend checking out the UBC GHI website for more information on available projects.

On 2017-06-17 at 2:00 PM, thank4 said:

Is that normal? Thanks!

I went to a BC public notary in Vancouver who charged me $10/document for photocopied, notarized copies of my driver's license and the picture page of my Canadian passport. I did have to pay cash though, but $20 was a really good deal.

Hi everyone! Just a quick question about disability insurance. I know the first year students are covered by Doctor's of BC; however, I was wondering if there is any specific insurer that medical students tend to go with for the disability insurance? Thanks

40 minutes ago, UBC_GRAD said:

Hi everyone! Just a quick question about disability insurance. I know the first year students are covered by Doctor's of BC; however, I was wondering if there is any specific insurer that medical students tend to go with for the disability insurance? Thanks

That is correct; Doctors of BC covers the cost of disability insurance for 1st year students, but after first year I believe you have to pay a premium of $75/year for the Doctors of BC disability insurance in 2nd year of med. Most of the major banks like RBC and Scotia that offer LOCs to students also offer disability insurance coverage to students as well, although you will probably want to shop around for the coverage that best suits your needs.

1 hour ago, Maxwe11 said:

Not sure if this has been asked before (I apologize if so), but are lectures mandatory, and if not, are they recorded? For instance, will students at the satellite sites have access to a recording? Thank you. 

Lectures for the most part are not mandatory.. Sort of.  

Many lectures are recorded, but you won't know in advance like some other schools. You'll find out day of. And then if it is, everyone has access to them usually right after lecture with the new recording system(all sites).

You should also have access to the previous years recordings. They are mostly identical if the lecture is the same, in its third iteration now..probably not going to be much drastic change.

If your comfortable just getting notes from someone in case a lecture wasnt recorded, you can skip most lectures.

On 5/28/2017 at 10:03 PM, OwnerOfTheTARDIS said:

Doubt it - I believe that changes have to be announced by a certain date and it seems pretty late to make such a big change like introducing CASPer. 

But of course the adcom gods could just surprise everyone  :rolleyes:

From a fairly reliable source, UBC is almost at the final stages of implementing CASPer for this cycle.   Let's hope and pray that it doesn't happen.  Might not be a big a deal even if they implement last min this cycle, cuz it seems like most premed101ers are highly gifted and can do well on CASPer without any preparation. ;)

4 hours ago, vikym said:

From a fairly reliable source, UBC is almost at the final stages of implementing CASPer for this cycle.   Let's hope and pray that it doesn't happen.  Might not be a big a deal even if they implement last min this cycle, cuz it seems like most premed101ers are highly gifted and can do well on CASPer without any preparation. ;)

As an additional part of the interview or pre interview?

Archived