Premed 101 Forums

Advice

Guest dantheman30

Guest dantheman30

I am currently finishing my Masters, and when I applied to dal I put a publication on my application with status 'in preparation'. Well anyway, i havent heard anything from dalhousie yet, and my paper was finally accepted into the journal of immunology this morning. Do you think i shoudl call them and add this to my application?

Thanks!!

Guest caperchic

Congratulations on having your paper accepted! I'd fax them and ask for it to be added to your file. I know of others who have done the same, myself included.

Guest DonaldKaufman

Definitely call the admission's office to update your file. I haven't heard of a date where, once passed, you can't make any more additions to your application. Go for it. You might be in the deferred pile at this point, and this extra accomplishment could make or break your application, especially since there is probably less variation in the quality of the applicants in the deferred pile versus the overall application pool (from the committee's point of view, anyway - who really knows what makes one more 'suitable' for medicine than someone else??). Good luck!

Guest DonaldKaufman

Dude, if you want to be sure that they have your updated information, definitely call. I'm not sure how they manage their email, but I know that in the past, I've emailed them with a question, received the automated response, and never got an actual response. While this experience might not be commonplace, I'd be wary about the processing time with the admission's office email - especially this time of year. Like I said, it might not even end up factoring into the committee's final decision, but you've already gotten this far, so you might as well do everything you can to maximize your chances. If you feel awkward about calling them after already emailing them, just make the call under the guise of looking for confirmation that they received your email.

-DK

Guest CaesarCornelius

Hey! Easy there D77MAH, I don't think that your post was very friendly. There is no need to stress people out more than they already are.

Dan: Don't worry, if you leave a message and an email it will get through. It is very unlikely that it will 'make or break' your application. Good work on the publication though.

CC

Guest RealBeef

I say forget about the emailing, the faxing, the calling .... personally I suggest going into the office in body and soul. Then they have to see you, hear you, and serve you.

My marks from this past academic year have boosted my applications (last two years) GPA from a ~3.6 to a 3.83. This Tuesday I am calling in to work and telling them I cant come in until I get a few things done at Dal Med. I care about this so much that anything can be put aside until I accomplish this in person ... Im sure this is that important to you as well so make the trip from whereever you are and leave all that worrying about emailing, faxing, etc behind. "Still under review" means "Still able to update".

If you want to rise up from the deferred heap or the unreviewed heap like myself than do everything within your power to shine.

R. Beef

Archived