Premed 101 Forums

Hello,

I am wondering how much choice students have at UBC in terms of the location of their clerkship. During 3rd and 4th year, for students in the Vancouver medical program, are there rotations you have to travel to outside of Vancouver aside from the rural medicine rotation and any electives you choose? If you do travel, how necessary is it to do rotations in various different locations?

For example, is it realistic to expect to spend 90% of time within Vancouver for 3rd and 4th year and then be able to secure a Family Medicine residency also in Vancouver or are the odds of that extremely low?

Thanks!

Hello,

I am wondering how much choice students have at UBC in terms of the location of their clerkship. During 3rd and 4th year, for students in the Vancouver medical program, are there rotations you have to travel to outside of Vancouver aside from the rural medicine rotation and any electives you choose? If you do travel, how necessary is it to do rotations in various different locations?

For example, is it realistic to expect to spend 90% of time within Vancouver for 3rd and 4th year and then be able to secure a Family Medicine residency also in Vancouver or are the odds of that extremely low?

Thanks!

It is very realistic to spend most of your time in vancouver for 3rd and 4th year.

The problem is, you would want to at least try to do electives in other provinces...just for the ability to have options. From what i hear, for FM, you don't necessarily need to do electives at other programs, to get interviews there. But i'm sure it helps. 

I'm sure if you wanted to focus purely on Vancouver, it could likely work out...but there are only so many seats for FM residency in Vancouver, and many people want them. So you have to be willing to move for residency, it's how it is.  And if you mean Vancouver proper, or lower-mainland in general (all the way up to chilliwack etc), that will change the odds a bit.

Look at the UBC FM residency stats and CaRMS data, that may help a bit.