Premed 101 Forums

Uwo And U Of T Interview Prep Materials

• 2 weeks later...

Friends who have gotten into both UWO and Western recommended a combination of using Dental Interview Plus (http://www.dentalinterviewplus.org) for background prep and practice, and then Crush Interview (http://www.crushinterview.com) to get some refinement and polish once the grunt work is done in prepping the background. They said this was highly effective for the cda type interviews at least. 

Friends who have gotten into both UWO and Western recommended a combination of using Dental Interview Plus (http://www.dentalinterviewplus.org) for background prep and practice, and then Crush Interview (http://www.crushinterview.com) to get some refinement and polish once the grunt work is done in prepping the background. They said this was highly effective for the cda type interviews at least. 

Hey there! Can you explain what you mean by background prep?

Thanks!

Those were the materials I used and would highly recommend. But I would also use it as a framework for your answers and avoid regurgitation during your interview. In my opinion avoid being too robotic and focus on being yourself, while also hitting those key words they are looking for. 

Hey there! Can you explain what you mean by background prep?

Thanks!

I am planning on using the same materials... the background prep refers to the work that you can do in advance to think through your own background history (work, social, school etc) and develop content that applies to either the behavioural or situational questions for the cda format.

• 4 weeks later...

Those were the materials I used and would highly recommend. But I would also use it as a framework for your answers and avoid regurgitation during your interview. In my opinion avoid being too robotic and focus on being yourself, while also hitting those key words they are looking for. 

I think to avoid the "robotic" it's important to not hone in on "key words" but rather show them you display the concepts/objectives using lots of different words. 

• 1 month later...

It's been confirmed by Trish at the UWO office that this year UWO will not be CDA style, but she would not give more info. With that being said, those who know this, how are you preparing? Does anyone have any additional insight, and are you using anything other than the usual prep materials?

It's been confirmed by Trish at the UWO office that this year UWO will not be CDA style, but she would not give more info. With that being said, those who know this, how are you preparing? Does anyone have any additional insight, and are you using anything other than the usual prep materials?

I posted about this about 2 weeks ago. Its going to be traditional due to the ABS and personal statement being incorporated into the application process. The best prep will be to practice with yourself and just be you. They will ask you about the stuff you wrote on the ABS and personal statement and personal questions about why you chose dentistry, what are your strengths, conflict resolution, etc. I'm not sure if its going to be closed file or open file but being traditional, you'll need to know your ABS and personal statement inside and out.

I'm pretty sure it will be all traditional questions, which is much better than CDA if you want them to know who you are

I've been trying to figure this out for the past month or so. It seems very odd and a bit unfair that they aren't telling us the style of interview it will be. We will be the only group who has to do this unless they decide to change their interview style again in the future and not tell people. From what I've gathered it sounds like it will be more traditional but when I asked specifically if it is a traditional interview, they explained that it is unique and that it is confidential. It is hard to prepare for something when you don't know what it is, but hopefully people will continue to call and email as I've been doing and we can get some more details and figure out what prep is best. If anyone has any ideas, they would be greatly appreciated.

I've been trying to figure this out for the past month or so. It seems very odd and a bit unfair that they aren't telling us the style of interview it will be. We will be the only group who has to do this unless they decide to change their interview style again in the future and not tell people. From what I've gathered it sounds like it will be more traditional but when I asked specifically if it is a traditional interview, they explained that it is unique and that it is confidential. It is hard to prepare for something when you don't know what it is, but hopefully people will continue to call and email as I've been doing and we can get some more details and figure out what prep is best. If anyone has any ideas, they would be greatly appreciated.

Hopefully they tell us when they send out interview invites.

That is correct, the interview at UWO will be more geared toward the traditional style of interviews. Also they don't want to give you the ability to 'prepare' for the interview as you would for the CDA. Trust me, they know you have those PDFs with 400+ CDA style questions... they don't want you to simply regurgitate practiced answers. An interview should be a display of character, with a foundation made up of your life experiences, not something you built up in a month practicing for the interview. I definitely wouldn't call it 'unfair'... because everyone will be evaluated in a similar fashion. Not like one individual is getting the CDA structure and the other is not.

For the individuals who have had some interview experience before this may actually help. Make a list a of life experiences you may want to draw upon when answering questions. Read 'doing right' if you want some inspiration on ethical issues (not required). Read a few of those CDA questions to trigger thoughts, but don't go out preparing an answer for each one and memorizing them. Practice in front of the mirror if you wish, then move on to practicing with family members, friends and others which may be in the same boat as you. I know my school had an actual program set-up for mock interviews... although not dentistry specific, they seemed to have helped a few people out----gain confidence so that you don't lock up during the interview! ^_^

That is correct, the interview at UWO will be more geared toward the traditional style of interviews. Also they don't want to give you the ability to 'prepare' for the interview as you would for the CDA. Trust me, they know you have those PDFs with 400+ CDA style questions... they don't want you to simply regurgitate practiced answers. An interview should be a display of character, with a foundation made up of your life experiences, not something you built up in a month practicing for the interview. I definitely wouldn't call it 'unfair'... because everyone will be evaluated in a similar fashion. Not like one individual is getting the CDA structure and the other is not.

For the individuals who have had some interview experience before this may actually help. Make a list a of life experiences you may want to draw upon when answering questions. Read 'doing right' if you want some inspiration on ethical issues (not required). Read a few of those CDA questions to trigger thoughts, but don't go out preparing an answer for each one and memorizing them. Practice in front of the mirror if you wish, then move on to practicing with family members, friends and others which may be in the same boat as you. I know my school had an actual program set-up for mock interviews... although not dentistry specific, they seemed to have helped a few people out----gain confidence so that you don't lock up during the interview! ^_^

This guy knows what he is talking about  :cool:

Archived