Premed 101 Forums

Good Areas To Live

Hi all,

I'm looking at moving ASAP due to some crappy apartment and relationship issues, and need a new apartment within some proximity to Mac. Being in 1st year, I'd hope to stay out of the student housing because, well, haven't had the best experience with them (hence the moving) and it'd be hard to find a room at this time of year.

I'm looking at the Beverly Hills apartments (644 Main st West) and 111 Market St right now. Osler court apartments are another option. None of them are terribly close to school but the transit options aren't bad. Does anyone have any experience with these buildings? 644 seems to be well reviewed, but nothing for 111. There is one bed bug report on it, which concerns me a little.

Or other suggestions are welcome, budget being around 1000 per month after all utilities and internet.

Thanks all!

i live near beverly hills. it's a good area, just steps outside of westdale and easy access to main street and bus routes to get to hospitals. there's a food basics right outside. and tonnes of convenient shops in westdale

I'd say it's about a 25 minute walk to campus.

I've walked it in 15 minutes in a rush to tuesday morning pro-comp hah

as far as the building itself, no idea about that - sorry. 

If you have a car I suggest looking further downtown as the options are better for the price paid. Beverly Hills is alright and I'm sure you could get a place in there easily. I've found most places in that vicinity have bug issues, including Beverly Hills, to avoid that you'll have to find somewhere built new (see first sentence). If you're going for one of these old places and utilities aren't included, make sure to find out how much it costs cause I definitely got screwed over on ridiculous heating bills due to poor insulation. You can walk to school from there in less than 20 minutes.

149 Main seems to be popular amongst med students (completely new building). There are also the Hunter street apartments (175 and 205?) which are newly renovated, but had really bad pest issues previously so I'm not sure how things are now. I also heard good things about 180 Bold street - it's an older building but no pests and cheaper in rent.

If you have a car I suggest looking further downtown as the options are better for the price paid. Beverly Hills is alright and I'm sure you could get a place in there easily. I've found most places in that vicinity have bug issues, including Beverly Hills, to avoid that you'll have to find somewhere built new (see first sentence). If you're going for one of these old places and utilities aren't included, make sure to find out how much it costs cause I definitely got screwed over on ridiculous heating bills due to poor insulation. You can walk to school from there in less than 20 minutes.

I've been looking downtown but almost every building I've looked downtown have bedbug problems. Actually, I haven't seen anyone reporting bedbugs for Beverly Hills, but it's definitely true that all the other buildings around it (Glen Road, Camelot Towers) have issues. 

Do you have recommendations for downtown areas? Durand is a nice area but it's pretty expensive.

149 Main seems to be popular amongst med students (completely new building). There are also the Hunter street apartments (175 and 205?) which are newly renovated, but had really bad pest issues previously so I'm not sure how things are now. I also heard good things about 180 Bold street - it's an older building but no pests and cheaper in rent.

I've been looking into it! But every contact I send has been unanswered so far.  The Hunter street apartments have lots of bed bug reports from what I saw. Thanks for the recommendations!

I've been looking downtown but almost every building I've looked downtown have bedbug problems. Actually, I haven't seen anyone reporting bedbugs for Beverly Hills, but it's definitely true that all the other buildings around it (Glen Road, Camelot Towers) have issues. 

Do you have recommendations for downtown areas? Durand is a nice area but it's pretty expensive.

I looked into Durand during my hunt: It's expensive for no good reason (they have a lot of amenities I guess) and the units I looked at were not that well maintained.

Archived