Premed 101 Forums

Mcat Prep Courses

fru489

Has anyone had any experience with Prep101's MCAT course? For the same price they offer more classroom hours and more practice exams. Also, they choose their instructors in a highly competitive way. This leads me to believe they would be the best bet, but am scared because they don't have the same experience as the others.

Any input would be appreciated!

Answers like "waste of time" come usually from people who did not take those courses but prepared some other way. Such answers are not helpful.

Something that may not benefit you could actually benefit somebody else. Unless a course/service is a  scam, there is alway some value in it. It may be useful  for someone who has no science background.  

I think Prep101's main selling point IMO is that they provide lots of prep materials and give students a structure for studying (you'd be surprised how much it helps with procrastination). My friends have taken it before, and they said it helped them solidify their knowledge--thing is, they were all science majors, so I can't speak about whether they're good for an arts student, but I imagine they should be fine. I personally liked using ExamKrackers' materials, but the books assume you know some science already, so for you, they might not be too helpful initially. I also like the way Princeton presents their information in the books so if you're iffy with Prep101, I'd say Princeton is a good choice (but I've never taken their online course either, sorry).

From my experience (no course) vs others (who took courses) it seems that the materials are the most useful thing. One trend I've seen is that if you're working full-time than a course is often more wasting your very precious time that you should be studying the concepts hardest for you, not hearing about mitosis for the hundredth time. I watched several friends who also worked 9-5 run out of time to do practice tests because they were going 'homework' instead, and ultimately felt unprepared and/or pushed back/cancelled their tests. 

Personally, I highly disagree with the massive price tag associated with them, especially the online once. I don't see it being worth 2000$, when studying on your own is what many people only ever have the means to do, and still do fine. 

That said, I could see more value if you have no background in science at all post-high school

Archived