Premed 101 Forums

Ubc Dmd Interveiw Invite/ Rejection 2016

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone else nervous AF? Haha. Not sure what to expect, considering they won't tell us what our % GPA is.

I think you just convert each grade to the OMSAS GPA, then take the midpoint of the corresponding % range for that GPA.  At least, this is what's done for Western.  Not sure how UBC is going about this.

UBC dent must use a conversion table at the mid point, not minimum. I'll compare Med and the Dental stats to demonstrate my point. 

Considering they both have very similar enrolment GPA averages it would only make sense. if UBC dental used the minimum of each grade category (A+ = 90%, A = 85%) then it would actually be more competitive than med because that GPA average is calculated at the mid point of each grade (A+ = 95%, A= 87%).

Example: 5 course GPA in % (assuming dental uses the minimum and med uses the mid)

Dental: 90, 90, 90, 85, 85 = 88% (3A+, 2A)

Med:    95, 87, 87, 87, 82 = 87.6% (1 A+, 3A, 1A-)

***so you can see the GPA in % is very similar BUT the dental student did much better in their courses. I highly doubt the dental students are more academically competitive than the med students.

Invite IP! can anyone provide some insight for PBL?

I was wondering about the same. Would anyone with prior experience mind sharing their experience with UBC dent PBL? 

Also does anyone know how different the dentistry MMI is from the Med MMI? Thanks a lot!

Invite (IP)
Date: Feb 13
GPA: 87-9? not sure
DAT: 23AA, 20PAT

Hi guys, I am very concerned because my interview is on the same day as my med school interview... Has anyone had similar problems before, or know of anyone who did? I've called DMD office, and I was told to call MD office first and if they say no, then MAYBE DMD will consider rescheduling me. but ONLY IF there is someone else who directly emails for a change in DMD interview. 

So if any of you would like to move your DMD interview date to Feb 12-13, please PM me! I don't know if they will just do it for anyone since I NEED my date changed, or if both of us need to have valid reasons.

Archived