Premed 101 Forums

Interview Invites 2016

Hey Everyone! If you're willing to share, thought this thread could be started again this year!

Timestamp:

Interview: Yes or No
GPA: OMSAS 4.0 scale
Context: (What is your rural or Northern Ontario connection?)
ECs: (Summation of your extracurricular activities)
Non-trad?:

Undergrad program/university:
# of previous applications:

Interview Location/Date/Time:

Timestamp: 1:28pm January 14th, 2016

Interview: Yes!

GPA: 3.91 + 0.2 (Masters) = 4.0

Context: Lived in Greater Sudbury my whole life, Francophone and Metis

ECs: Multiple volunteering

Non-trad: yes, 29 years old, married with kids

# of previous applications: 1 (last year)

Interview Location / Date / Time: Sudbury, April 2nd, 2016 at 10am

I am beyond excited!!!

Timestamp: 1:38 PM January 14th, 2016

Interview: Yes !! :)
GPA: low! (have a PhD)
Context: Born and raised in Northern Ontario
ECs: lots of varied volunteer activities, especially outreach to aboriginal students, teaching English as a second language, etc ... 6 publications
Non-trad?: Definitely non-trad
# of previous applications: 2

Interview Location/Date/Time: Sudbury, April 3rd, 10 am

So excited and grateful to receive the interview invite! Good luck to all with interviews.

Timestamp: 12:57pm

Interview: Yes!!
GPA: 3.82+.02 (Masters) = 4.0
Context: Born in No; Lived in rural NO for the past 15 years
ECs: Varied volunteer activities
Non-trad?: Yes, definitely non-trad
# of previous applications: 0

Interview Location/Date/Time: Sudbury, April 3rd 1pm

Good luck to all invited!

Timestamp: 2:15pm

GPA: 3.74 + .2 Masters = 3.94
Context: (born and raised rural southern ontario, 6 years in Thunder Bay, 2 years in Temiskaming Shores)

ECs: Lots of travel, varied work experience, outdoorsy things, organic farming, campus first response, wilderness first aid, hospital/community health/aboriginal health/family health volunteering. Shadowed 2 NOSM preceptor family physicians at a family health team in rural North Eastern Ontario for the past two years, as well as worked on several community preventative medicine projects as a volunteer with the health team.  Also working with a local Aboriginal Organization on a community kitchen project.  Experience working in traditional healing settings with residential school survivors.

Non-trad?:  Oh yeah.  

# of previous applications: 3

Interview Location/Date/Time: Sudbury, Sunday April 3rd @ 10am - which means a Sunday night out!  ....in Sudbury......hilarity will ensue.

Timestamp: 12:31pm

Interview: Yes
GPA: 3.99
Context: I've lived in North Bay my entire life
ECs: 700+ hours of leadership as president of clubs, shadowing, tutoring, TA, student ambassador, various other small volunteering opportunities around my community 
Non-trad?: Traditional

Interview Location/Date/Time: Thunder Bay/Sunday, March 6th/1:15 (I'm not sure why my interview is so much earlier than the other ones mentioned) 

Wow my last post makes me seem extremely unimpressed haha. I'm actually really excited and can't stop thinking about it!

Does anyone know why I would have an interview in Thunder Bay and at such an early date? Do they randomly choose your location?

Anyways good luck to everyone! I know we all deserve it!

Timestamp: 12:26pm

GPA: OMSAS 4.0 scale 3.98
Context: (What is your rural or Northern Ontario connection?): Born and raised in a little community on PEI, recently moved to Thunder Bay with my Boyfriend who is a first year medical student at NOSM
ECs: (Summation of your extracurricular activities): Numerous volunteer activities in the hospital in Thunderbay, Physio clinics and hospitals in NB and PEI.. Varsity Athlete, 
Non-trad?: One year out of undergrad
# of previous applications: 1 ( last year)

Interview Location/Date/Time: Thunder Bay, March 6th 10:00am :) :) 

Timestamp: 2:40pm - January 14th

Interview: Yes or No: Yes  :) 
GPA: OMSAS 4.0 scale: 3.61
Context: (What is your rural or Northern Ontario connection?) Born and raised in Sudbury (except for university)
ECs: (Summation of your extracurricular activities) volunteering at a local non profit for ~3 years, medical mission abroad, physician shadowing, member of a local club and board of directors, worked in a medical clinic for ~10 years, two years of TA work, various research projects, conference speaker
Non-trad?: fairly traditional, H.B.Sc. (soon to be M.Sc.)

# of previous applications: 2

Interview Location/Date/Time: Sudbury, April 2nd 1:15pm!

Hi everyone,

I know this is just the first cut, but I am incredibly grateful to be able to post my good news here.

Timestamp: 11:00 AM

Interview: Yes!!
GPA: 3.98
Context: (What is your rural or Northern Ontario connection?) 11years+ cumulatively, did all but my last year of high school here (had a personal situation which resulted in a move), did undergrad in SO and returned after graduation
ECs: I had a lot so I am just going to outline the major themes they fell into: community leadership with at-risk youth, hospital volunteerism, mental health advocacy and youth engagement. I have been leading teams of youth in social advocacy campaigns (many of which focus on issues that Aboriginal youth face) in N.O since I was 16.
Non-trad?: Most definitely. I'm 27 and it's been a long personal journey to even get to the point where I was in a position to apply. I won't get into details right here but one day, I hope to be able to post my full story on this forum. There are some super inspiring people on here and their fight gives me strength.

Undergrad program/university: Biology

Interview Location/Date/Time: Thunder Bay, March 5, 1:15PM

I am sending positive thoughts and energy towards all of you guys out there and I just wish they could take each and every one of us!

Let's get more activity going on this board, come on Northerners! Of the 320, we have to have at least, what, one third on premed101? It would be awesome to hear from everyone. And on another thread, let's get an MMI skype practice group going or an in-person one in both TBay and Sudbury. TBay folks, msg me! 

Timestamp: Jan 14/2016 @ 10:38am

GPA: OMSAS 4.0 scale 3.2
Context: (What is your rural or Northern Ontario connection?) Lived on reserve in Southern Ontario until I was 6.
Undergrad program/university: Life Sci at McMaster

# of previous applications: First time

Interview Location/Date/Time:TBay March 5th

Timestamp: Jan 14/2016 @ 1:34pm

GPA: 3.76 (OMSAS scale)
Context: Francophone, grew up in Sudbury :)
Undergrad program/university: Kinesiology/biochemistry at Laurentian University

Interview Location/Date/Time: Sudbury, April 2nd at 10:00am

I'm so excited to meet some of you all! :)

Timestamp: Jan 14th, 10:27am

GPA: 3.49 (with an upward trend)
Context: Born and raised in Northwestern Ontario
ECs: Lots of community volunteering, Medlife trip to Peru, shadowing with Drs and RNs within my community, participated heavily in the dramatic arts (hair, makeup, on stage), involved with school programs and activities, etc. 
Non-trad?: No

Undergrad program/university: In my last year of my undergrad, Honour Specialization in Genetics and Biochemistry at Western. 

Interview Location/Date/Time: Saturday, March 5th at 10am in Thunder Bay! 

Since this was my first application and I figured my GPA was pretty low Im shocked to have been extended an interview! Congrats everyone and good luck! 

Timestamp: Jan 14/2016 @ 10:38am

GPA: OMSAS 4.0 scale 3.2

Context: (What is your rural or Northern Ontario connection?) Lived on reserve in Southern Ontario until I was 6.

Undergrad program/university: Life Sci at McMaster

# of previous applications: First time

Interview Location/Date/Time:TBay March 5th

Hi, Congrat for the invitation! May I ask what else do you have in your resume, in order for NOSM to invite you for an interview, despite not being a Northern Ontario resident?

Timestamp: 12:26pm

GPA: OMSAS 4.0 scale 3.98

Context: (What is your rural or Northern Ontario connection?): Born and raised in a little community on PEI, recently moved to Thunder Bay with my Boyfriend who is a first year medical student at NOSM

ECs: (Summation of your extracurricular activities): Numerous volunteer activities in the hospital in Thunderbay, Physio clinics and hospitals in NB and PEI.. Varsity Athlete, 

Non-trad?: One year out of undergrad

# of previous applications: 1 ( last year)

Interview Location/Date/Time: Thunder Bay, March 6th 10:00am :) :)

Hi, Congrat for the invitation! May I ask what else do you have in your resume, in order for NOSM to invite you for an interview, despite not being a Northern Ontario resident?

Timestamp: 12:04 pm

GPA: OMSAS 4.0 scale- 3.62 (Very large upwards trend)

Context: Lived in NWO for 12 years now, (Since I was 8)

ECs:

-Worked in two NWO hospitals. One of which I helped start a ID telemed clinic in northern aboriginal reserves (earned me a publication). The other I helped start a diabetes incentives project. 

- At university I am president of an organization, co-found an action group with a social justice group, and have volunteered throughout other campus groups.

-Also volunteered at a home for the aged, and as a soccer coach back in NWO. 

Non-trad?: Traditional: 21years old, just finishing up Undergrad. 

Undergrad program/university: Biomedical Science, BSc. Guelph

Interview Location/Date/Time: T-bay, March 5th @ 10:00am. 

Very excited and nervous!!

I'll be in T-Bay until Sunday morning, post-interview drinks anyone?

Timestamp: 12:32pm

GPA: OMSAS 4.0 scale- 3.85 (with upwards trend)

Context: lived in NWO for 16 years

ECs: A number of sports since I was a kid, volunteering with a number of campus clubs and centers, work as a research assistant, NSERC USRA among other smaller things

Non-trad?: Traditional

Undergrad program/university: Biology, Lakehead

Interview Location/Date/Time: T-bay, March 6th at 1:15

So happy! Post-interview drinks for everyone!

Timestamp: 10:24

GPA: 3.86

Context: lots of northern BC stuff (grew up there) but nothing in northern Ontario

ECs: mentoring 2yrs, full time bush work for four summers in northern BC, clinic volunteer, varsity sports, some club exec stuff and other things here and there

Non-trad?: not particularly

Interview Location/Date/Time: TBay March 5th 10am

Archived