Premed 101 Forums

Queens Interview Discussion 2016

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello everyone,

I have not yet received an email response (I used my university email). Do any of you by chance know of anyone who has not received an email?

Also, just out of curiosity, do the interview invite emails have different subject line compared to regrets emails?

Thank you.

Hey Rabu, I am also still waiting after checking every folder of my email several times compulsively.  Earlier in the thread someone mentioned the subject line for inv./rej. is the same so AFAIK there is no difference.  I suspect that they simply were unable to work further overtime on Friday and will likely finish the mailing list tomorrow.  

I'm secretly hoping that there remains a few invites in the pile, but I remain cautious because every response later in the evening on Friday was a regrets email.

Hey Rabu, I am also still waiting after checking every folder of my email several times compulsively.  Earlier in the thread someone mentioned the subject line for inv./rej. is the same so AFAIK there is no difference.  I suspect that they simply were unable to work further overtime on Friday and will likely finish the mailing list tomorrow.  

I'm secretly hoping that there remains a few invites in the pile, but I remain cautious because every response later in the evening on Friday was a regrets email.

plus here is a point where you are just asking to make another mistake due to being tired. Once you make one you are in no mood to make another, ha.

Called admissions office ((613) 533-3307) and they said everything was mailed out by Friday evening but they got blacklisted and that it never arrived for some people. They were able to give me my decision over the phone though. If you haven't heard back, give them a call. They indicated that they weren't planning on resending emails for people that haven't heard yet unless you ask (they don't know who hasn't received word).

Called admissions office ((613) 533-3307) and they said everything was mailed out by Friday evening but they got blacklisted and that it never arrived for some people. They were able to give me my decision over the phone though. If you haven't heard back, give them a call. They indicated that they weren't planning on resending emails for people that haven't heard yet unless you ask (they don't know who hasn't received word).

when I tried to call, It tells me they are unable to return long distance calls...how do I reach them?

It feels rather ridiculous that they are just going to ignore the people who never got the email. How come other schools don't have this problem?

I know this stuff isn't necessarily supposed to be 100% logical. But two years ago I interviewed at Queen's and was then waitlisted with no research and overall questionable ECs. Since then I've done research, gotten a few publications, done tons of other volunteer work as well as other interesting ECs, improved my grades, improved my mcat, and replaced a reference from an athletics coach with a reference from a physician I worked extensively with. And this year nothing. Sorry I don't mean to sound entitled, I know the process isn't clear cut like that and perhaps I really don't deserve an interview for one reason or another. But it's extremely frustrating

I know this stuff isn't necessarily supposed to be 100% logical. But two years ago I interviewed at Queen's and was then waitlisted with no research and overall questionable ECs. Since then I've done research, gotten a few publications, done tons of other volunteer work as well as other interesting ECs, improved my grades, improved my mcat, and replaced a reference from an athletics coach with a reference from a physician I worked extensively with. And this year nothing. Sorry I don't mean to sound entitled, I know the process isn't clear cut like that and perhaps I really don't deserve an interview for one reason or another. But it's extremely frustrating

I totally feel you on this. My case isn't as dramatic as this is my first time applying but it must be incredibly frustrating to actually improve your application and somehow be worse off in the process. I thought I had a really good shot...

We need to hold a Queen's rejection pity party for those of us who weren't invited. But in accordance with the med school admissions spirit, we will tell everyone that there is an amazingly fun party being organized that will change your life but we won't tell anyone when or where it is, or what you need to do to be invited! :D

Congrats to everyone invited, we're excited to welcome you for interview weekend!

Regarding the questions about MCAT, GPA, etc. Queen's probably has one of the more holistic review processes. A high score won't necessarily give you an interview and low scores won't necessarily exclude you.

To clarify, I'm wondering if it's possible for Queen's to use ABS as a pre-interview factor, or if interview invites are strictly based on GPA and MCAT.

ABS is definitely used pre-interview.

I believe it's still 100 (invited)

Although the class size is 100, 10 spots go to QuARMS and 2-3 spots go to MD/PhD students so the number of acceptances for the MD stream is around 87. That being said, there will be people who turn down an acceptance just like any other school.

Does anyone have an idea of what times the interviews are generally offered on each day?

If I recall correctly it starts at 8:30am and ends around 4:30pm

Anyone here previously interviewed at Queen's? I didn't know that any school did both an MMI as well as a panel interview. The invite email didn't explain how this is set up. Can anyone give any insights into how the day will go, what kind of questions they ask in the panel?

You start with the MMI, go to a waiting room after that's done, and they will call you individually for the panel interview. Can't say much more unfortunately

Anyone here previously interviewed at Queen's? I didn't know that any school did both an MMI as well as a panel interview. The invite email didn't explain how this is set up. Can anyone give any insights into how the day will go, what kind of questions they ask in the panel?

From what I remember, Queen's will send a comprehensive e-mail closer to the interview date explaining everything you need to know!  

If you haven't heard back yet, I would call and ask. I called and was told over the phone that I was invited and they re-sent the lost email to my email address. 

That's awesome 3m14. Amazing news :) Do you know what the original timestamp of your email would have been, had you received it on the day of (on Friday)?

Reason I'm asking is some people seem to suspect that if you had been invited, you'd have received the email earlier in the day and / or before their server or system got blacklisted from sending out too many emails. 

Thanks UWOMedSci16. So... if by saying they're not resending things, are they suggesting that the emails that haven't gone through were for those not invited?

Hope that makes sense. Because otherwise they'd want to ensure that those invited DID receive the emails right? 

I advise everyone who didn't find an email reply in spam or clutter who has a gmail or hotmail account to call QUEEN'S immediately! I just called to find out that I had missed an invite email!!  They also said that the all gmail and hotmail addresses seemed to have blacklisted Queens on Friday January 29, 2016. The blacklisting appears to result in NO EMAIL received at all (BE IT JUNK OR INBOX)

Call: 613-533-3307

The interview slot booking opened this morning and I almost missed on my only available time to get to Queens for an interview!!

That's awesome 3m14. Amazing news :) Do you know what the original timestamp of your email would have been, had you received it on the day of (on Friday)?

Reason I'm asking is some people seem to suspect that if you had been invited, you'd have received the email earlier in the day and / or before their server or system got blacklisted from sending out too many emails. 

Thank you! :)

I didn't get the original time stamp. I'm not quite sure what you mean though, if they'd sent the email before they were blacklisted, I would have received it. I guess this may mean that they didn't send invites before regrets. They did tell me that they were sending batches of emails 5 minutes apart, if that helps. 

I advise everyone who didn't find an email reply in spam or clutter who has a gmail or hotmail account to call QUEEN'S immediately! I just called to find out that I had missed an invite email!!  They also said that the all gmail and hotmail addresses seemed to have blacklisted Queens on Friday January 29, 2016. The blacklisting appears to result in NO EMAIL received at all (BE IT JUNK OR INBOX)

Call: 613-533-3307

The interview slot booking opened this morning and I almost missed on my only available time to get to Queens for an interview!!

yeah...we have to figure out a better way of doing that. I am glad it worked out!

• Leon unpinned this topic

Archived