Premed 101 Forums

Orientation

Guest CaesarCornelius

Guest CaesarCornelius

To the moderators:

I am going to be working most of the week of august 25th and sunday/monday (holiday) of that weekend. I read that the orientation starts that monday, will I miss alot of critical events if I can't come before 4?

Are most of the events "come see dal, come see halifax" kind of things?

Any idea when we will get the package??

Thanks!

Guest NBsmurf

I'm not really sure what orientation will be like for your class this year (not sure what exactly is scheduled yet). Last year we had a welcome BBQ on the Sunday, certainly not mandatory...but fun (and you get your Orientation T-shirt and hopefully meet your Med II buddy). From what I can remember (one of the other moderators might have a better memory:\ ), on the Monday, we had registration, photos taken (for ID cards), TB testing, several welcoming talks and a Dean's dinner in the evening. Most of these are pretty important (ie. registration!) and may be most easily done with the group. Again, I'm not sure what the plan is for this year, but it will probably be somewhat similar.

Hope this helps...and hope you're enjoying the muggy summer we're having! :rolleyes

Guest Grecko68

I was reading some old posts from last year orientation thread, and I see that the mods were talking about getting CPR stuff before orientation. So my question is what do we need exactly before we show up, and if we dont have the CPR/other stuff, will it be a big problem to get it in sept/oct?

The reason I ask is that I am going to be away from home for most of August and would have to get it soon.

Thanks for any info.

Guest NBsmurf

The one major step that we had to have completed before orientation last year was the CPR certification. We were required to show proof during registration that we had completed our Level C Basic Rescuer. If you're away for August, it would be best to get it done now (if possible). I don't know if you could arrange to do it in sept/oct, I would call the admissions office if in doubt.

Although some started their HepB immunizations before registration last year, that isn't necessary. Influenza and HepB immunizations were organized by the med school last year and we received them during the year. I would imagine it would be the same this coming year. We were also given a card which we were to have filled out with our past immunization records.

Hope this helps! :)

Guest arcticaguy

As NBsmurf already mentioned, most of the events are really about getting to know the class, your med II school mates and the ins/outs of medschool (in very broad terms). I wouldn't really sweat the Sunday BBQ, but I'd say monday morning is a pretty important day, but student Affairs/admissions office should be able to give you more guidance.

As to the CPR certs, some of our classmates did not have theirs until very early in September! I would try to get it out of the way, as NBsmurf suggested. The NSCC (if you're close to one) offers them throughout the summer.

Btw. Don't hesitate to email us/your buddy (buddy letters should be arriving along with the package, very soon) if you have ANY questions, no matter how small :)

I hope to meet you all in August. Cheers.

Guest CaesarCornelius

Hey, thanks for all your posts. But Im still left wondering whether or not I will miss a lot by not being there in the day, the week of the 25th? I can get there for the registration morning no problem and the sunday BBQ.

Maybe the package will tell me more!

Cheers

Guest NBsmurf

Your orientation package will tell all:) With ours last year we received a pretty detailed outline of orientation week events, so you can decide what you need to go to and what you think you can get by without.

In short, you will miss a fair bit. During the days, there were orientations to the med school, COPS, the anatomy lab, computer labs, and presentations by financial institutions. Last year, I think some groups may have even started their first Human Body unit case on the friday. During the week, however, we did have a few mornings and afternoons "off" with no orientation activities scheduled.

I hope this helps a bit more, I wish I had more info on what will be going on this year:(

Guest MD2006

I agree with NBSmurf, orientation week doesn't contain a lot of necessary school work, but it is invalubale in its activites that get you to interact with your classmates and learn important little details about the ciriculum. It is not mandatory that you attend most of orientation week but I would really try to make it to as much activites as you can, you won't regret it:)

Archived