Premed 101 Forums

are we ever going to hear?

Guest NBer

Guest NBer

is anyone else going crazy? :eek

just wondering if anyone has heard if they have sent out any more acceptances/rejections for maritime applicants. are there anymore spots left for us, or should we assume that they are only waiting to see if people give up their acceptance to give out more spots...

I would be happy to get a acceptance/wait-list/or rejection at this point...I can't believe it has been over 3 months since most of us have interviewed!!! what is up????

it would be nice to know others are feeling the same way! :o

Cheers

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest eJaya

Hey there,

I am definitely feeling the same way. It's really hard to keep working in the lab and studying with most of my thoughts focussed on what may be in the mailbox that day. I have no idea what the status is on accep/rejec letters- but I have not got either. This waiting is driving me mad. :rolleyes

Guest UWOMED2005

I think I posted this before, but hold tight. A friend of mine now in the 3rd year class had to wait until sometime in July before finding out he was accepted. So relax and don't worry. . . you're not out of the running yet.

Guest walton1

Hi everyone,

It's driving me crazy too, but I guess we just have to wait. We're all going to be hopelessly neurotic by the time we are admitted (to med school or to an asylum).

I'm determined not to let any anxiety over the selection process distract me from the preparation of my thesis -- although I suppose that's really what I should be doing right now, rather than writing this disconsolate account.

wally

Guest Guess whoz Bizzak

Don't worry guys...I'm there anxiously anticipating any news with ya. It feels like forever since our interviews, but I figure a couple more weeks won't kill us (hoping that that is all it is going to be). Anyway, hang in there, and good luck to all.

~JZ

Guest NBer

well..it's nice to know others are feeling the same way

I guess it kinda bothers me that it takes them so long...I really hope they are meeting soon to discuss the rest of the applicants...it seems kinda riduculous that ontario schools (like UofO) interview over 500 people and we get a definite time that we will hear...and it is soon...yet we interviewed so long ago, and they interviewed less than 250, and we may have to wait until July to get a letter...oh well...I guess this is the way it goes...seems almost like punishment! :\

here's to good news that arrives soon! :b

cheers

Guest NBer

okay...this is kinda funny...of all days to rant about waiting to hear from Dal...I got home from work and there was a letter waiting for me! I got in! :rollin

The letter was dated May 6th...I live in BC...

good luck to everyone!

Guest NBsmurf

Congratulations NBer! I can't wait to meet you and the rest of your future classmates in August.

:D

Here's hoping that everyone else won't have to wait much longer. :\

Guest Guess whoz Bizzak

Hey guys,

I got my letter today as well, but it was a rejection letter. I'm a little bummed, cause I thought I had a solid chance at Dal, but c'est la vie I suppose. Good luck to everyone else - here's hoping you hear good news soon :)

~JZ

Guest eJaya

I had a weird feeling someone was going to hear back yesterday. Congrats NBer!

Thanks for the note JZ, sorry to hear your news. Have you applied to any other schools?

Guest NBer

thanks guys...I am very happy...planning my trip home for the summer now...

JZ...hope you hear good news from another school...I thought I remembered something about you applying to UofT? hope you hear good news on May 30th... I gather you are probably even more disappointed since if I remember correctly your girlfriend is at MUN? I really hope things work out for you!

I hope more of you hear this week!

Cheers

Guest DalHopeful

Seems to me that a rant on this forum might make the letter travel faster through the mail..:)

I know it can't be true, but I thought I would vent some frustration.

Here is the awful dilemma that I (and undoubtedly all) face: Graduation... So... Do I take a summer job and hope I get in? Or should I take a research job for a 1 year term...

I know they want to be thorough with the applications but I seriously am starting to think that I am going crazy!!!

*deep breaths*....

:) Congrats to all who have heard.

Guest arcticaguy

congrats NBer! See you in about 3 months!!!

To everyone else still waiting...DalHopeful put it best:

*deep breaths*

best of luck (with Dal or any other school).

Cheers.

Guest DalHopeful

No. I didn't receive my letter...

My mom (yes I still live at home :o ) tells me today that she called the admissions office. :x Once I came too, she explained to me what she told them. Basically I received an award (from Dal) in the last month and she wanted to add it to my application... I had told her before that it would be very unlikely that they would add anything to my application at this point... So once again I needed some time to absorb this information.

She said that the lady was very nice and said that it was very possible to add to your application... So she (she, being my mom) went on to explain the award and gave all my details.

What the heck! >: Im 22 years old, applying to medical school, AND MY MOM CALLS TO ADD INFORMATION TO MY APPLICATION!!! Im sure that the lady just wrote down one word "Reject".

What do you guys think?

Guest sally2001

dalhopeful,

that is a very cute story. i think if it was really too late, the admissions lady would have informed your mother about that without taking all the details. so clearly (well, clearly to me) it enhanced your application by adding the award and that's great that you (or your mother) was able to do that. i think that's very considerate of her to be so concerned, but at the same time, maybe it would have been more appropriate if you did it yourself.

but i highly doubt they would say "why would we let him/her in, can you believe their mother called?".. haha, relax and take it easy. :)

Guest walton1

Hi DalHopeful,

I expect that the admissions office staff are aware that parents can get pretty caught up in their kids' med school applications. The process of applying to med school is generally an unpleasant and nerve-wracking affair.

The admin are sensible enough to realize that parents will call under their own volition, and it wasn't any prompting from you that resulted in your Mom's call.

They could choose to look at the call as a kid letting Mom fight his or her battles, or -- I think more likely -- as a concerned parent asking a question about an application that concerns her family's future. I really do think they would take the more charitable view.

After all, you can't control what your Mom does!

wally

Guest Mimicat65

Anyone else feeling left in the dust? It just seems that if 40 maritime seats were filled in Feb, and a bunch more over the past week, the rest of us might be out of luck... Ugggg, this waiting really really really S:rolleyes :o >: s!!!

Guest eJaya

I know exactly how you feel. I think I would have been better off knowing 40 seats hadn't been filled in february. Ignorance is bliss....right? I don't know if I can sit this wait out another year....

Guest hobbledehoy

I wouldn’t worry if you haven’t already received a letter in the mail. There is still plenty of time left and plenty of letters to send out- especially if no letters were sent out in April (except to OOP applicants). As for the 40 seats filled by the end of February… that’s not true. In February, Dal sends out letters to the absolutely AMAZING students that have their masters, PhD, stellar GPA’s and MCATs, etc. – the students who probably would have received offers from 8 different schools. :)

Guest BCgirl

Hey eJaya,

Although 40 seats are "filled" right now, it's possible that they won't stay that way. I was accepted and paid my deposit, and I now have access to Dal's Medix website. Under the first year class there are 40 names listed, but it's likely that some of them might accept offers at other schools.

Guest novacanuck

Hey All,

Hey eJaya, I see you have yet to hear from Dal still. I'm in the same boat. Starting my summer job and have been trying not to think about getting a letter in the post. It would drive me insane. By the way, Congrats NBer on getting in, that's awesome.

Courage everyone,

Ben

Archived