Premed 101 Forums

are we ever going to hear?

Guest NBer

Guest UWOMED2005

I'll repeat what I said at the beginning of this thread. A good friend of mine who is now in the third year class (soon to be 4th year - :eek ) had to wait until late June or even mid July until he heard.

So don't worry if you haven't heard yet. You still have a shot at getting in.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest NBer

thanks everyone for the congrats...

I have to let them know by May 27th if I will accept the spot...and I have decided that regardless of if I get an acceptance at UofO or not, I am definitely going to Dal! So I will be giving up my spot at MUN if anyone is on the waiting list there...

I hope I get to meet all of you in Sept...

as for waiting...I understand...it doesn't seem to matter if we know people hear in June and July...it still doesn't make the wait any easier b/c it is very difficult to plan your next year...and very hard to concentrate...I wish you all strength and courage until the class is full! :D

I'm still not sure what takes them so long at Dal to send out acceptances...

but even though it was hard to concentrate (I am trying to finish 4 papers before June 30th... :( ) before getting the acceptance...it's almost harder knowing that I am heading home to NB in a little over a month!!!

Good luck everyone!!!

Guest PEIkid

Hello everyone, congrats to those of you who have heard already and who I'll see at the end of August. I graduated from UPEI with a B.SC. major in Chemistry. I had a 3.78(not including a 90% in fourth year); an 8,9,Q,8 on the MCATs and a tonne of extra-curricular activites. I actually called Tracy today to see if I should bother sending my second semester marks to her to add to my application and she put me on hold and came back and told me that she needed them because I was accepted. I gave up checking the mailbox each morning last week and what do you know it, I looked after I got off the phone with her and it was sitting in it. I know the wait is really hard but hold on and good luck to those of you still waiting to hear back!:D

Guest Grecko68

Hey all, I talked to Tracy today and asked when they would be finished reviewing all the applications and she said the last meeting is on June 23rd, with them meeting to review applications every Monday. I asked if there were a lot of applications left to review and she said there were. I hope this helps a little.

Later

Guest eJaya

HI Grecko68,

Thanks so much! Knowing that there are lots more applications to review has really put my mind at ease. Congrats to you PEIkid. I actually called Tracey Teed today to change my address and for a brief moment thought she may say-"Don't worry about it- you're accepted!" But alas, she did not :)

NovaCanuck- I'm glad we're waiting together! Good Luck and post it when you hear!

Margaret Jaya

Guest DalHopeful

I believe that Tracy must suspect something... I too, in fact, called today (after reading PEIkid's post) in the anticipation that she might say "oh yeah, your acceptance letter is here".

Unfortunately that was not the case. I diguised my phone call with some question about sending in 2003 marks.

She did say that a bunch of letters were going out today (wednesday) so maybe someone will hear tomorow.

Godspeed.

Guest eJaya

Just had to vent my frustration about this wait...once again...

OMSAS should be sharing info tomorrow though...

I'm tired of waiting....

thesis, shmesis....

Guest eJaya

Hi Dalhopeful,

Thanks for the updates. How are you able to access the site? Also, exactly how many people is Dal accepting...any idea?

Guest DalHopeful

Hey ejaya,

I have a good friend who has been accepted at dal already and he has access to the DALmedix website, which has a list of all people in the 2007 class so far.

He keeps me updated, although it does nothing to ease my anxiety...

My GF keeps telling me to call the office and ask the status of my application?? Has anyone done this? Im sure they won't tell me anything, but if one of you have called, perhaps it will quiet her..:) My family is more nervous than I..

Im sure Im aging faster in these past three months than normal.

Cheers

Guest Mimicat65

Hey DalHopeful,

Does that 60 places include the oop offers do you think? Or is that just Maritime? Cause my understanding was that there are 73 seats for Maritimers and 10 for out of province applicants. I also have a buddy who graduated this year, and he didn't think the alleged "additional seats" which were discussed in the press would actually show up for a few years maybe. Dal may not have the $$ needed to actually increase required facilities... don't know about that but I was hoping we were getting 8 new seats for this fall :( .

I called Tracy last week to find out when we might hear, and she gave me the same speil that has been listed earlier - that the committee is meeting weekly until June 23rd. Everyone should hear their status by soon after that last meeting. She also said (re: status), that if you haven't heard anything yet, it just means your name hasn't come up in committe yet (ie. doesn't really mean anything....:o ). I dunno... I think if mine, and yours and ejaya's names haven't come up yet and there are only 13 more seats.... well, who knows how many more they have to consider. This really is torture, but c'est la vie I guess..

Guest DalHopeful

I can't be certain, but I believe that the 60 seats filled so far include the OOP people. They had to say yay/nay a while ago, so Im sure they would be on there. Another friend of mine is OOP and I will ask my buddy to check and see if she is on the list, that way we'll know if it includes OOP or not.

Also, the article I read said that the 8 seat increase would be effective this year. Well, it said that the increased spending would be this year and Im sure DaL can handle an increase of 8 seats.

"The province and Dalhousie are working on a plan to increase enrolment at the school by about 60 undergraduates and residents over the next four to five years.

The school currently enrols 82 undergraduates each year

"

82 + 8 = 90

So, there are still 30 spots left.. I am beginning to hate checking my mailbox, too many let downs..:)

Serenity now!

Guest Mimicat65

Thanks DalHopeful,

It's nice to feel not so alone in this process. I hope we get to be classmates next year.

Mimi :)

Guest DalHopeful

I totally agree mimicat, we definitively SHOULD be classmates next year..:)

Apparently they have removed the ability of those who are accepted from seeing who else is accepted...:\ Perhaps it was me and my blabber mouth.. But hey! I was just trying to give some serenity to those still waiting (Myself included!!)!!!!)!)!)!)!)!)

So anyway.. Lets just chil and try and ignore the fact that all of the ontario schools sent out their letters today (boo)...

June23 isn't that far away.

Guest arcticaguy

Just a confirmation:

There will DEFINATELY be an increase of 8 students for the incoming class next year. We were asked last week re. our opinion on the timing of the exams (ie. if the class favours writing on Friday evening or on Saturdays instead), due to difficulties that may arise out of the increased enrollment in the class of 2007.

Unfortunately I can't give you any numbers because that information on the class of 2007 site is accessible to those accepted only, at this point. The files will be public soon enough though!

I can't wait to meet you all in August....you'll have a blast. I am now a Med II....we just finished our last exam and I'm ecstatic, overjoyed, tired and happy all at the same time. It's amazing how fast a year flies by when you're having so much fun (and work).

later.

Guest novacanuck

Hey eJaya,

Have you heard anything from any schools yet? I've stil to hear from Dal or Ottawa...but hopefully soon....

Later,

Ben

Guest eJaya

I still haven't heard from Dal------ it can't be long now. It's hard to believe it's June and there's still quite a few of us who haven't heard yet. I have my fingers crossed for you for Dal and Ottawa (you must hear from Ottawa soon???)

Take Care

Margaret Jaya

Guest DalHopeful

So true ejaya... I was thinking that the last meeting is just about 3 weeks away. I know there has to be a 'last person considered' position, but perhaps we will hear before that. Hopefully with good news, the job prospects are slim to none..:)

My plan B may not work out as well as Id hoped. :\

On another note, I went to the doctors office today, and who should be there?? The lady who interviewed me! She gave me a bit of a smile, but that could have been just a "Hi, how are you"... Ahh.. It certainly brought back some memories... ahem.. 5 MONTHS AGO!!

Premed101 should be inserted into the medical dictionary somewhere as

Premed101 - (prE-'med-won-oh-won'): A therapy used to sooth the aches and pains of the admission process at all medical schools.

0] (this one is hardly ever used!)

Guest novacanuck

Hey eJaya and Dalhopeful,

Yeah, I heard from ottawa yesterday...I've been badwaitlisted....I'm not crossing my fingers. I heard from Dal last year on the 6th of June.....it was a little letter and it didn't have good news. Hopefully this year we'll all get a big envelope with good news.

Keep in Touch,

Ben

Guest eJaya

Hi Ben,

Sorry to hear the Ottawa news. That really sucks. Well, maybe we're all just meant for Dal. That's what I said when I didn't get an interview at UofT....well, it worked to at least ease my mind....

I had a whole stack of mail (little envelopes) this morning and I thought I was going to have a heart attack flipping through to see if any were from Dal.

In anycase, I have my fingers crossed for us, Dalhopeful and Mimicat (I think that's the rest of us on this forum).

Here's hoping good news arrives with the mailman tomorrow

:)

Guest novacanuck

Hey eJaya,

Well, I'll hand it to you that you made me laugh with the little envelopes thing....it's good to keep a little humour about the whole process. My whole life is a waiting game....kinda like a ticking bomb. I had a job interview today and now I just have to WAIT to hear back. God is really testing my resolve these days, I swear. But I've done what I can do for this year. It's out of my hands as mum keeps saying...

Later people,

Ben:D

Guest eJaya

Hi Ben,

I swear this forum is good therapy. I don't know how my friends are putting up with me lately! I can hardly concentrate on simple conversations...(I've been caught staring into space a bit too much).

I'm not exactly sure what to do next year if I don't get in but I should probably start planning soon. I've been wanting to move back to NS for a couple of years but I don't know what the job market is like there right now. I may be safer staying in TO or going to Montreal...

I'm not exactly sure why I'm rambling on... I think I'd better get to sleep! The sooner I go to sleep- the sooner the mailman comes (this is truly sick)

Thanks for the note and hope you get the job!

Guest Mimicat65

eJaya, DalHopeful and novacanuck,

I'm still waiting here in NS too. Argggg, I can't take much more of this. I am trying to stay busy to distract myself, but it isn't working very well. Friends want us to go on vacation with them in September, and I have to keep putting them off while I wait to find out if I will be free in Sept.:o . I also will have some major childcare arrangements to make before Sept if I get in.... I just wish they would let us know so we can PLAN.... I'm such a control freak :lol :eek .

Guest novacanuck

Hey All,

eJaya...I want the ticking to stop...I'm ready for the bomb to go off already *grin*....I didn't know you had lived in NS...or maybe I did...I can't remember...Tomorrow was when I heard last year so I'm crossing my fingers... Mimi....yeah, I know how you feel...I can't make any plans for the fall either...I went through this last year with Dal but everything ended up working out in the fall. I got a pretty cool job and stuff so I'm sure it'll work out for you as well.

Keep in touch ladies,

Ben (Saber):D

• 3 weeks later...
Guest novacanuck

Hey guys,

Does anyone know for sure when the final shipment of letters will be sent out. I thought it was the 23rd but then I remember seeing that it was going right up to the 27th. Has everyone heard already? Just don't want to be left in the dark here....I'm thinking of calling Tracy tomorrow or thursday if I haven't heard by then.

Later gators,

Ben

Archived