Premed 101 Forums

Dal vs Mun

Guest cassica

Guest cassica

If you could chose between Dal or MUN, which would it be? I know alot of maritime applicants get accepted to both schools and have this awful decision to make. Can anyone share their experiences in this situation? What made you chose one school over the other?

Congrats to all those who have gotten in to Dal. For all those still waiting, good luck!

I recently had this choice, and decided on Dal.

I think both schools have an excellent medical program, with a small size, close class, etc...I really loved MUN when I was there...the administration, students, etc...if it wasn't located on Nfld, I probably would have chosen that school. I found the way they handled interviews, admissions, etc. is much more efficient and humane. I received 3 weeks notice for my interview (they phoned to tell me), found out in late March I got in, etc., whereas at Dal they sent a mass e-mail less than 1 week before the interview (I actually had to call b/c I was flying from BC and ask if I received an interview), as you can tell from the boards, their acceptances are very drawn out...I therefore wonder if this is any indication of what the next 4 years are going to be like (I hope not!)

But, I also like the idea of more problem-solving/less dictative learning...it has been awhile since I've been in lectures with exams, etc...so am looking forward to COPS (some lectures, problem-solving)...

but it also came down to where I want to live for the next 4 years...Halifax is much closer to home, I like the city more than St. John's...while Nfld is beautiful, I know I would be much happier in Halifax...plus I have a bf to consider and finding a job in Nfld is pretty difficult these days....

hope this helps...are you having to make this decision now?

good luck!

Guest cassica

Hey NBer, thanks for the reply. I have been so indecisive about this for the last month. The schools have gotten so frustrated with me that they give me a deadline: if I don't respond by 4pm today, Dal is taking me off the list! Uh oh! I do agree with everything you said about both schools. Mun does seem to be a little more organized and the facilities are great. I just don't if I could live on the rock for four years! Not having exams at Xmas is a bonus too :P I am also from NB so coming home occasionally throughout the term would be nice. It's funny how I put "indecisiveness" as a weakness on my application essay. Now they know I didn't BS on my essays haha.... Can't wait to meet you, NBer, as well as everyone else! Only 2 months left!

Guest Mimicat65

You are getting veeeerrrrry sleepy.... veeerrrry sleepy.8o

Now, repeat after me.... Dal is evil.... I only want to go to Memorial.... Nfld is great....

Ok, now you can wake up! ;)

Just kidding cassica, just trying to "lighten up" the rest of us waiting to see if there is a spot for us at Dal :lol . You are so lucky to have a choice between two great schools - good luck in making your decision.

:) Mimi

Guest cassica

aaah, i just wrote a post and tried to send it, but somehow it erased itself! anyways, Mimi you are too funny! I know you'll hear from them soon. Here's some potentially juicy gossip though. My friend called admissions yesterday and they told her that her app and a friend's were in the last group to be reviewed. I don't know how they determine groups but I know that both those applicants interviewd on Feb 1st or so. So, if you interviewd around then, maybe they are looking at your app as we speak. Feb 1st was ages ago.......anyways, best of luck to you and all those still waiting!

Guest Mimicat65

Thanks cassica,

I hope we all get to be classmates next year. People on these boards are what have kept me sane over the past few months. ;) I interviewed on Feb 8th - I just can't believe how long this is taking...

Guest eJaya

I really should be writing my thesis but I keep checking this forum!!! ..hoping to hear that one or all of the waiting people got good news...Okay, I'm turning the internet off!!!

Keep sane, it can't be long now...

:P

Guest waitinginhali

Hi ejaya,

I am also in the process of writting my MSc thesis, but between checking this website and checking my mailbox, my pogress is, to say the least, slow:\

Cassica,

Congradulations on getting two acceptances! I am waiting to hear from dal and I am on the waiting list at mun! Lots of waiting!

Good luck,

waitng in hali

Hey waiting in Hali

just wondering if you are the girl I met at the interview at mun on Jan 31st...she was finishing her MSc at Dal (I think...somewhere in Halifax), and we discussed the mun vs dal thing there during our tour/lunch...

hope to see you in August

Cheers

Guest waitinginhali

Hi NBer,

Yeah I am pretty sure we met and ate lunch together on interview day. You have already done a MSc in BC? And you were helping a friend move that weekend? Congratulations on your acceptances, the med schools really do accept the right people! I REALLY hope to see you again in August;)

waiting in hali

that's really funny...yup, and turns out my friend is moving again this month... :lol

I really hope you get in! I remember thinking after I left that I should have gotten your e-mail to find out where you would end up in Sept...mun or dal...

as for procrastination...does it ever end? I am finishing work here in BC next friday to move home and have 2 papers to finish...yikes...and all I do is write e-mail, check this board, go home and pack...my boss isn't going to be too happy with me! actually I think he understands...he knows I am pretty excited about heading back east...and it is hard to concentrate!

I'm anxious to hear what happens next week for you at Dal! Keep me (and the boards :D ) posted!

Good Luck!

Guest waitinginhali

Hi NBer,

I am glad we found each other! We should have exchanges email addresses but this will do. Anyway I thought maybe today there would be some mail but no such luck. I'll let you, and everyone else, know if I ever get a letter:\

waiting in hali

Guest cgb2006

So Cassica...have you officially made your choice? I just wanted to add that MUN is a wonderful school with amazing school spirit. St. John's is a very welcoming city with wonderful people who will embrace you like one of their own. Everyone I know that has studied at MUN recalls it as one of the best times of their lives, mainly because of the friendships that were formed and the many many fond memories they acquired. I have heard few, if any, criticisms about the school itself, and the people I know miss it quite a lot. So, I just wanted to add that living on the Rock is a wonderful opportunity if you decide to take it....you won't regret it.

Guest cassica

Hey guys, now that i hear such great things about both schools, I am still questioning my final decision to attend Dal. I guess it;s the road not taken. I know I'll be happy anywhere however... thanks for your insights cgb, have you studied at MUN before? ejaya, congrats on your acceptance! I'll be meeting you pretty soon! WaitinginHali, Dal can't possibly take much longer. Hang in there. We all have our fingers crossed for you!Oh yeah, did you guys know that Dal and MUN have an exchange during the year?...each Med 1 class goes to the other school to party and possibly study. I am looking forward to that. Take care everyone,

cassica

Archived