Premed 101 Forums

Post Interview Chances?

Hi everyone,

Can anyone comment on how admission offers are tabulated? Anyone have insight into weighting of interview, MCAT and scholastic achievement, and whether preference is given to those from south western ontario-- i.e. a certain number of seats devoted to applicants from that area?

Hi everyone,

Can anyone comment on how admission offers are tabulated? Anyone have insight into weighting of interview, MCAT and scholastic achievement, and whether preference is given to those from south western ontario-- i.e. a certain number of seats devoted to applicants from that area?

Unknown. There are rumors on the precise balance of factors, but they're all unverified and I wouldn't put much stock in them.

From published acceptance ratios, being from Southwestern Ontario is a meaningful boost, but there does not appear to be a set quota. Past that, it's safe to assume that the interview will be the deciding factor, but may or may not be the only one.

Does anyone know if cutoffs this year decreased due to a larger pool being interviewed or a weaker application cycle?

1) less people applying with old MCAT scores

2) people with high old MCAT scores already got in, leaving only those with lower scores for this year

3) no one new took the old MCAT, thus there were no new people getting very high

I'm not sure why people are so confused about this (not you specifically, but other people on this forum).

1) less people applying with old MCAT scores

2) people with high old MCAT scores already got in, leaving only those with lower scores for this year

3) no one new took the old MCAT, thus there were no new people getting very high

I'm not sure why people are so confused about this (not you specifically, but other people on this forum).

Because it implies the school would be accepting weaker candidates when it could just take higher mcat ones from the new mcat pool and find some way to equate the scores :)

I would say about 50% chance if you get an interview. We generally clear the high waitlist :)

I would say about 50% chance if you get an interview. We generally clear the high waitlist :)

This is very welcome information. I'm guessing with the higher cutoffs there may be more movement of the wait list due to highly qualified candidates likely getting multiple acceptances? Although I suppose the cutoffs have never really been exactly low so this is just me thinking out loud :P  

This is very welcome information. I'm guessing with the higher cutoffs there may be more movement of the wait list due to highly qualified candidates likely getting multiple acceptances? Although I suppose the cutoffs have never really been exactly low so this is just me thinking out loud :P  

even though Western uses the MCAT as the primary cut off the class's GPA is not exactly low.

of course we don't know exactly how this will plan out. Point is to take the interview very seriously as clearly it has a major impact on acceptance and is something to control. Plus it is a great school (ha, personal bias aside).

People are always interested in the weighting factors to admission - makes sense, why wouldn't you want to know about a system that is potentially majorly going to effect your life. Still it is kind of pointless none the less. All that matters at this point is what you can control, and that is the interview. Time to get ready :)

even though Western uses the MCAT as the primary cut off the class's GPA is not exactly low.

of course we don't know exactly how this will plan out. Point is to take the interview very seriously as clearly it has a major impact on acceptance and is something to control. Plus it is a great school (ha, personal bias aside).

People are always interested in the weighting factors to admission - makes sense, why wouldn't you want to know about a system that is potentially majorly going to effect your life. Still it is kind of pointless none the less. All that matters at this point is what you can control, and that is the interview. Time to get ready :)

Oh I completely agree, it's more out of curiosity and excitement that I bring any of that up. This is the last step on this long road of acceptance (and one of the first steps on the much longer road in the field of medicine) and it would be very short sighted to think anyone can just coast through the interviews :P  

Unknown. There are rumors on the precise balance of factors, but they're all unverified and I wouldn't put much stock in them.

From published acceptance ratios, being from Southwestern Ontario is a meaningful boost, but there does not appear to be a set quota. Past that, it's safe to assume that the interview will be the deciding factor, but may or may not be the only one.

But is it a post-interview boost, or a boost in the sense that more SW'ers are interviewed due to the more lax cutoffs?

But is it a post-interview boost, or a boost in the sense that more SW'ers are interviewed due to the more lax cutoffs?

it is a post interview boost. i looked at the deans reports last year and I remember swomen interviewees have a ~75% chance of admission

it is a post interview boost. i looked at the deans reports last year and I remember swomen interviewees have a ~75% chance of admission

they have directly mentioned a "bonus" in one of the prior reports as well - although of course there is nothing specifically available for the current year on what their policies are.

• 2 weeks later...

Where did you get the number ~75%? On their website, it only shows SWOMEN having lower interview cut-offs

yea its from another part of their website.

the deans report states how many swomen are interviewed and admitted each year. so this is just based off of past years, i dont know anything about what their plans are with swomen interviewees this year

https://www.schulich.uwo.ca/about/deans_office/reports.html 

yea its from another part of their website.

the deans report states how many swomen are interviewed and admitted each year. so this is just based off of past years, i dont know anything about what their plans are with swomen interviewees this year

https://www.schulich.uwo.ca/about/deans_office/reports.html 

and those reports have spanned back many, many years - at one point there was one that flat out stated for that year there was a swomen bonus post interview. Of course we don't know now what is done :)

swomen people clearly have an edge but it still isn't bad overall for anyone - Western has a lot of spots after all.

SWOMEN Post-Interview Acceptance Rates

2006 - 81%

2007 - 73%

2008 - 77%

2009 - 64%

2010 - 70%

2011 - 75%

2012 - 96%

2013 - 76%

2014 - 76%

2009 had 50 SWOMEN acceptances, while 2012 had 94. 

It's less of a number quota and more of a post-interview boost.

Does anyone know what the weighting for the interview is?? I wonder if it's above 50%

http://forums.premed101.com/index.php?/topic/36889-autobiographical-sketch/

According to this thread from 7 years back it's 50% interview/25% MCAT/25% GPA. It's likely changed since 2009 but the Schulich Meds site does say that interview, GPA, and MCAT are all considerations post-interview.

I also recall something being written about MCAT, GPA and interview being evaluated post interview somewhere on the interview site created by the 2019's

certainly historically true - it would be good to get some form of more update info on that. Still they never revealed the actual break down.

I have examined closely the rather in precise form data on acceptance for years - give insight into a possible breakdown (which of course could change year by year). The interview appears to be a very large component of the final score, followed by the rest. That is probably the most important take home message - if you have an interview you should take it seriously because that means you have a good chance regardless of your GPA/MCAT (which would of course be above cut off in all cases).

certainly historically true - it would be good to get some form of more update info on that. Still they never revealed the actual break down.

I have examined closely the rather in precise form data on acceptance for years - give insight into a possible breakdown (which of course could change year by year). The interview appears to be a very large component of the final score, followed by the rest. That is probably the most important take home message - if you have an interview you should take it seriously because that means you have a good chance regardless of your GPA/MCAT (which would of course be above cut off in all cases).

Would you say the interview is worth MORE Than 50% then????!

Archived