Premed 101 Forums

Do You Have Question About Uofc Med? Ask Away

On 5/9/2018 at 10:04 PM, Confluence said:

How do U of C students find the campus?

From what I remember the U of C med school is near the Foothills hospital which is a separate campus away from the main U of C campus.

I would much prefer attending a medical school that is on a main campus so that it would be easier to meet people outside of medicine and it wouldn't be a matter of going out of one's way to attend events on the main campus. That being said, having a campus not associated with the rest of the university means it is a cleaner and less crowded facility, the 2 lounges for students are quite accessible and not packed all the time, same for the library at foothills. Libin theatre is kind of chilly, so bring a sweater.

There is a Kinetix gym that seems reasonable in terms of price (how busy does it tend to be/does it have a good selection of equipment?).

There are two gyms at foothills. I never attended Kinetix but they have given free trials at times. I also have never worked out at "The Dungeon" which is a room in a basement that has some barebones workout equipment, located below the main floor at foothills.

How far are the main grocery stores from the Foothills campus/from where people who live close to the med school are at?

From what I could google everything seems ~15 minutes away by car in terms of grocery stores.

I don't live just off of the foothills campus so I don't have much more insight other than Market Mall is a 10-15 min drive away and North Hill mall (safeway there) is about just as far in the other direction from foothills.

IIRC lectures are optional and recorded (just audio or including video?) and how do you find what appears to be many full days 8:30 am - 5:30 pm in class (I took a look at the class of 2019 first year schedule)? Is there a decent mix of lecture/small group/clinical activities on those long days that you don't feel super bored/tired/drained or is it as exhausting as I think it is?

The first few months are fairly mandatory for attendance of things and full of half days. Afterwards most lectures are optional, though patient presentations are mandatory and you can only miss 10% of small groups per course for no reason and must have an excused absence otherwise. Med school is very draining and the start is quite overwhelming as you are adjusting to a new professional role, social group and academic environment. 

Any advice on finding a place to live near the medical school campus for someone OOP (Ontario) as well as buying a car and insurance/LOC?

Lots of people use TD Meloche Monnex for insurance as you get a discount through the Alberta Medical Association with them and you may be eligible for further alumni discounts with them as well. If you want to lease a car in AB I think you have to be an AB resident, if you want to purchase it doesn't matter. Winter tires are necessary and I wouldn't worry about a block heater unless you are leaving your car parked outside overnight all of the time. AWD is not a bad idea and whether you buy used or new is really up to you. You don't have to make your first tuition payment until September of the year you start even though school begins in July. You can wait until they have a fair where they bring all of the LOC advisor reps from different banks you can talk to as well as hand out a lot of free swag. People find accommodations through the facebook group for the incoming class or the rentfaster website. 

I also have an OSAP loan that has begun accumulating interest since I will be graduating next month and need to call OSAP and figure this out, but I was wondering if any U of C students have experience with when OSAP typically is available to apply for, when it usually comes through and when tuition payments are due. With the July start date it is kind of concerning as OSAP isn't even available to apply to right now.

Click on the medical school costs and student loans tabs: https://www.ucalgary.ca/mdprogram/financial-aid#quickset-field_collection_quicktabs_1

Overall, go to the school where you'll have the best social support network, where you are happy to live and see yourself potentially doing residency and practicing and if you have the choice, go to a 4 year school where you do your core rotations before electives. Do your best to be proactive about maintaining your well-being before starting medical school and do your best to stick to it as you go through the process.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

If you enter the medicine program without finishing an undergraduate degree (i.e. 3rd year), does the U of C provide a Bachelor of Science in Medicine degree? I know the U of A does, so I was wondering if U of C follows the same procedure.

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 7:45 PM, indi said:

Hey! I'm trying to put together a rough budget for medical school and was wondering if clerks at UofC receive a stipend. If so, how much does this amount to? Thank you in advance! 

About 5 years ago, we got about 188 every 2 weeks for about 11 months. I doubt it's changed much!

• 3 months later...

I used the 10-year exclusion rule to apply. I have two full-time years within the past 10 years, but even though they were full time, only 7 of the 9 courses in the final year were graded, the other two were pass/fail (practicum courses). WIll that still count as a full-time year for gpa calculations?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
On 5/12/2019 at 6:27 PM, WeDayDream said:

Hey guys, 

How long does it take to get immunizations done? I am on vacation right now and I am returning in the middle of June. Can I get them done before July 3rd? 

Im not a med student or anything but based on my own experience, its very quick!! You can easily get them done in an hour. I hope I'm not giving you wrong information. 

On 5/14/2019 at 1:02 AM, teeezyyy said:

Im not a med student or anything but based on my own experience, its very quick!! You can easily get them done in an hour. I hope I'm not giving you wrong information. 

Sure, the actual physical act of getting a vaccine only takes 30 seconds or so, but it can take weeks or even months to collect all of your records, get any outstanding vaccines, get your titres done and then potentially get boosters (and more titres) if you need them