Premed 101 Forums

Still Waiting...

Guest wannabe

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest eJaya

Thanks so much! I hope there is too. If I see no big envelope sticking out of my mailbox, I'm not even going to check- just in case I ruin my weekend.

Margaret Jaya

Guest DalHopeful

That could possibly be the worst email that you could receive!!!

"ahem, Miss JAya, after 6 months of waiting I can finally tell you that your file has been reviewed... Unfortunately I cannot tell you what you would like to know most.. I will just tease you with the fact that the letter is probably on its way now..."

I can only say 2 words... HEART ATTACK.

Honestly, after reading your email I was considering writing Dr.hughes.. But Iwont.. I know my letter will come and I just have to be patient.

I am wishing you good luck, please let us know the result.

Cheers

Guest on the fringe

Hi ejay,

Just want to wich you the best of luck today or monday.

We all know how you feel ( those of us waiting) and I hope that you get some releif and excitement when you get your letter!! Best of Luck!

Guest eJaya

Hi guys,

Thanks so much for the encouragement. I just woke up and realized it was Friday the 13th! Da Da Da Daaaaaaa

My mail should be here in two hours so I'll write to let y'all know what happened.

Guest eJaya

Thanks guys,

Dalhopeful, I'm actually living in Toronto right now doing my MSc but I'm planning on moving to Halifax at the end of August.

Margaret Jaya

Guest DalHopeful

Hey Guys

I broke down and wrote dan hughes. I didn't get good news, but I didn't get bad news either... well.. maybe not.

Here is basically what he said to me:

There are 17 remaining applications which will be reviewed on monday (16th). So, if you haven't heard you are either in those 17 OR you are in the deferred pile.

What is this deferred pile? Well, your application has been reviewed and not rejected, but not accepted.

----I thought he would end there-----

No. I am in the deferred pile. :\

What does this mean for me? Well, they will re-examine the deferred pile on june 23rd at which time they will rank them. They will then fill the remaining spots with those and make a wait list of about 13. He said that last year 5 people came off the wait list, but he said that was highly variable and difficult to judge.

He also said to pass this along, as he doesn't have enough time to reply to all emails of similar nature.

Im not sure how I feel right now. Im glad that Im not out right rejected, but I wonder how many people go to this deferred pile?

I think that my application does not have any stand out features... IE: I just graduated, from the city, male, hospital volunteer, good grades, good MCAT, good references...

Maybe Im just too plain. BAH!

*insert moral support here*...:)

Ok, venting complete. Time to distract myself..

Guest waitinginhali

Hi Dalhopeful,

This is my first time posting but I have been waiting right along side you all. I don't think your news is bad at all! Hang in there and think positive;)

waitinginhali

Guest wannabe

Dalhopeful, thanks for all the information. Now I feel really stressed out because I'm either in that last 17 or also in the deferred pile. It makes me think: Do they randomly split piles, or are the last 17 applicants who are at the bottom of the list? And how many seats are even left for those 17 applicants? I think I'd prefer to be in the deferred pile; you have a better chance than the majority of those other 17 people.

Guest eJaya

Hi Dalhopeful,

That's really strange. Are they going to reject some of the 17? That doesn't seem to make sense. I really hope you get in!!!!!!

Guest Mimicat65

Thanks for the info Dalhopeful. I really feel sick to my stomach now....:o . I really have no idea what that email means, but it doesn't feel that good for any of us that are left waiting. I guess if I end up waitlisted, well...that is better than rejected I guess. But I don't know if waitlist status will work out for me, I have young children and need to make arrangements for them, as well as prepare them a bit if I'm going......

I guess being left to the last possible moment is my payback for asking in the interview how quickly we might hear back from them. Ironically, they told me that they were going to try to be more "humane" this year than in the past. ;)

Oh well, congrats to everyone who got in, and good luck to everyone still waiting.

Guest novacanuck

Guys, guys, gals,

I haven't been on for a few days, and phew, I missed a lot...I got the shivers reading the updates...

Margaret, the biggest congrats to you. Hopefully I'll be able to congradulate you in person in the fall...*grin* I didn't get anything in the mail friday either so I guess I'll have to wait another week.

Dalhopeful, thanks for the info. I'm in with the rest of them about feeling nervous now but it sounds promising about the waitlist. Best of luck to you all and may the most deserving get in.

Later,

Ben

Guest eJaya

Hi NovaCanuck! Thanks so much for the congrats! I hope we'll be in the same class!!!!! For some reason I can't pull myself away from this forum! It's strange cause I've only met you but I feel like I know a bunch of other people. I really hope we all get in together!

Good Luck!!!!!!!

Let me know when you hear!

(The waitlist sounds very promising- I wish they'd tell you how many people will be on it!)

Guest yogi53

hey,

I was just wondering if you are really able to add things to your application since the deadline of nov. 15. Any information would be appreciated.

thanks

Guest arcticaguy

Honestly, I haven't tried it before, but from the posts on the forumn, it seems as though you can add information to your file if it has not been reviewed already. I don't see how it can hurt you.

Margaret, CONGRATS!!!! I look forward to meeting you in August!

I've been away the last couple of days...I see quite a few things have happened since then. All I can say to everyone waiting is BREATHE. I realize this is really dragging out longer than it should have, but you've already waited and maintained your sanity this far out....try to hold on for a few more days. One student in our class didn't hear until a few days before Registration day, so if you haven't heard yet, please don't lose hope.

At this point in time, if you don't have anything concrete (ie. a letter) in your hand, reading too much into an email, for example, won't help your sanity...unless that's how you like to keep busy, then by all means. I used to do the latter, so I can empathize :)

Best of luck to all of you and HANG IN THERE.

Archived