Premed 101 Forums

Hello,

Wondering if any current med students on here can tell me what a typical med-student schedule at Western would look like?  Are there classes every day?  How late do classes run on Fridays?

I'm a non-traditional applicant and going to Western would mean living away from "home" most of the week, but likely returning home on weekends.  I'm trying to figure out what the balance will look like.

Thanks in advance!

1st year typical week:

3-4hrs of morning lectures everyday

1 afternoon lecture on Monday

2 days of afternoon small groups (clinical methods, discussion groups)

2 afternoons off

One semester you'll get Tuesday Friday afternoons off and the other semester you get Wednesday Thursday.

2nd year your afternoons and mornings flip kinda.

Overall I think it's pretty chill. Almost everything is recorded so you can do whatever you want really.

1st year typical week:

3-4hrs of morning lectures everyday

1 afternoon lecture on Monday

2 days of afternoon small groups (clinical methods, discussion groups)

2 afternoons off

One semester you'll get Tuesday Friday afternoons off and the other semester you get Wednesday Thursday.

2nd year your afternoons and mornings flip kinda.

Overall I think it's pretty chill. Almost everything is recorded so you can do whatever you want really.

lollllll

What is the reliability of the recording at Western? Are things nearly always recorded? Do you know in advance if it will be recorded or not etc?

UBC's lectures are recorded, but never know in advance if it will be (other than pattern recognition of which profs are better than others at giving consent), and even then at best it floats around 50-60% of lectures actually being recorded.

What is the reliability of the recording at Western? Are things nearly always recorded? Do you know in advance if it will be recorded or not etc?

UBC's lectures are recorded, but never know in advance if it will be (other than pattern recognition of which profs are better than others at giving consent), and even then at best it floats around 50-60% of lectures actually being recorded.

....they used to be extremely reliably recorded by a particular computer savvy med student there (:) )

I still here the new system is pretty good actually - part of the point of that older system was demonstrate the utility and ease actually of recording everything in a system that already has to video conference.

They moved to a new system but it's been pretty reliable. The class likes the recordings, so the incentive to keep it up has been there. A few lecturers refuse recording, usually due to confidentiality concerns, but in general we were pre-warned that this was occurring from student reps.

yeah that isn't any different than before - often we just didn't even bother to ask to record some of them, and a few I just never bothered to put up because I felt it wasn't not appropriate.

Still think these are a useful tool - but also still think going to class has its purpose.

I say it's over 90% now. They have their main system of recording the feed directly from the computer but I believe they also have a backup system that is literally a camera pointed at the projector screen. So it's pretty reliable in terms of getting them uploaded but that's if they decide it's appropriate to upload them in the first place.

I say it's over 90% now. They have their main system of recording the feed directly from the computer but I believe they also have a backup system that is literally a camera pointed at the projector screen. So it's pretty reliable in terms of getting them uploaded but that's if they decide it's appropriate to upload them in the first place.

yeah the hardware hasn't changed - only the underlying software. Certainly glad something is still running :)

The IT staff seem to know when it's important for things to be up right away, too. For instance if we have an exam on Monday they'll try to have Friday's lectures posted the same-day, even though the expectation is just to have it up within 48 business hours.

yeah I would second that - we couldn't have created the system in the first place without some very key people in that office. One in fact we made an honorary member of the class with a ceremony and a backpack at the start of the second year.