Premed 101 Forums

GPA or %?

Guest Talon01

Guest Talon01

Hey everyone

Does Dal go by the % or the GPA when calculating cutoffs? Because I *do* have 2 full years with a 80%+ average, but only ONE of those years I had a GPA over 3.7. I tried emailing the admissions office weeks ago but no response.

Thanks in advance!

~Scotty

Guest MD2006

I'm pretty sure they use your GPA, but you may want to double check that in your particular case with the Admissions office again, they have been pretty busy lately!

• 2 months later...
Guest lsmed

MD 2006,

I was wondering if you could help me. I going into my 3rd year in UofT. My first year GPA was 3.2 and second year 3.7. I have research experience for 2 years, volunteering of 700 hours, president and founder of a club, scholarships, governing council, council of student services etc. My references are both doctors, both from Newfoundland, one an MD from Dalhousie. I really want to get in there. Do you think I have a good chance? What are the pre reqs required? What courses do I need to take in undegrad since I am not in the same province? Your help is much appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance.

Guest NBer

Hey...

applying as an out of province student is definitely more difficult than the in province folks...if you keep a good gpa 3rd and 4th year, and score well on your mcats I would say you have a decent shot for an interview (but I'm not too familiar with the OOP applicant pool)...they only take 8 OOP people...

as for pre-reqs...Dal accepts people from all disciplines...arts, engineering, science, anything really...as long as you have good marks, good mcats and lots of extra currics, and a solid essay

the website can provide more details...

good luck

Guest UWOMED2005

I did my undergrad at Dal and they used a GPA system rather than % for marks there, so I'm pretty sure the Med School uses GPA.

Don't worry too that much about applying as an OOP if you have >3.7 in your last two years and >30 MCATs. I got psyched out of applying to Dal based on the fact there's only 8 spots OOP, but as it turns out that year there were only about 75 OOP apps. I think a lot of OOPs get scared off by the quotas, so the ratio wasn't bad at all, even better than the OMSAS schools individually. I wish I'd known that when I was applying. But yeah, it is easier for residents of NB, PEI or NS to apply, needing usually only a 3.3 GPA and 24 MCATs to get an interview.

Good Luck!

Archived