Premed 101 Forums

Mmi Reaction Thread

Hey, I have my interview next week and I was just wondering what type of questions that were presented during the interview. Were there a lot of ethical problems to be addressed, or was it a lot more about personal experiences?

I have been practising from the 2013/2014 sample questions and I was wondering if this was representative of the questions asked in the MMI.

http://science-student.sites.olt.ubc.ca/files/2014/01/Sample-Questions-2013-2014.pdf

Thank you and I hope you guys did great :))))

Hey, I have my interview next week and I was just wondering what type of questions that were presented during the interview. Were there a lot of ethical problems to be addressed, or was it a lot more about personal experiences?

Thanks!

This is a reasonable question, and one I was curious about before the interview, too. I don't blame you for asking, but all of us have agreed to confidentiality so that no one gets and unfair advantage, as the interview is testing or ability to think on our feet. And even if you did get an illicit tip, things may well have changed by next weekend!

I walked into one station and my brain melted and pure word vomit was delivered onto an unsuspecting interviewer *facepalm*.  I felt betrayed by my brain, but laughed it off with the interviewer and moved forward.  I'm fairly certain she questions all metrics used that failed to filter me out before an interview invite now and I don't blame her.  As I reflect on some of my responses I tend to focus on the errors and moments of rambling and feel worse as compared to when I walked out feeling pretty good about the whole thing.  I suspect my performance was somewhere directly between these two assessments.

I have been practising from the 2013/2014 sample questions and I was wondering if this was representative of the questions asked in the MMI.

http://science-student.sites.olt.ubc.ca/files/2014/01/Sample-Questions-2013-2014.pdf

Thank you and I hope you guys did great :))))

NDA dude/dudette. Besides I wouldn't want to put myself at a disadvantage.

I walked into one station and my brain melted and pure word vomit was delivered onto an unsuspecting interviewer *facepalm*.  I felt betrayed by my brain, but laughed it off with the interviewer and moved forward.  I'm fairly certain she questions all metrics used that failed to filter me out before an interview invite now and I don't blame her.  As I reflect on some of my responses I tend to focus on the errors and moments of rambling and feel worse as compared to when I walked out feeling pretty good about the whole thing.  I suspect my performance was somewhere directly between these two assessments.

hehe... this made me giggle... not at your ill fortune but at your wording :P I'm sure she understood that you were nervous :) Good luck Thermophilus!

HUGE congratulations to everyone who finished their interview during the previous weekend! :D

I am sure all of you prepared well for it, and did amazing in your own way! I know it's going to be very hard not to second guess yourselves haha, but please try not to think about it too much. You guys are done! So, just relax and focus on your other tasks so that you can always be your best. I promise May will come soon enough ;) . And always remember: We never know what happened until we know what happened. Until May, we can worry all we want, but we shall never know what the results hold until May comes around.

As for those (including myself) who are reading this and have their interview this weekend, BEST OF LUCK !! :D

It really is impossible to know how you did - I thought I did great last year and ended up with a below average. This year I feel worse than last year, but I've heard of plenty of people who have experienced the same thing, and they got in. At the end of the day, you just can't know, so try not to torture yourselves.

I'm in the exact same boat as medrock. I came out of the interview smiling last year, while I'm cringing every time I think about my answers this year. Hopefully I'm just really bad at gauging my own performance. These next few months will be a long wait for sure...

For those who've finished their interview, congratulations. Take heart in knowing that you've come this far and that in itself if something to be proud of.

For those interviewing this weekend, try to relax. The interviewers, for the most part, are not trying to mess you up! 

I said this to the group last year, and I'll say it again:

Anyone can formulate a perfect answer in hindsight with unlimited time. It's not fair to judge your answers within 7 minutes and under stress, to what you 'could/should' have said now that you've had days to think about it.

Also, interviewers are well aware that you're nervous. It'd almost be strange if you weren't. I know it's easier said than done, but try not to over-stress. And best of luck.

Hello! I have my interview tomorrow and I'm kind of a nervous wreck.. and I have a few things running through my head..

Is the interview process well organized?

Are the transitions between mini interviews hectic with a ton of people scurrying around? 

Are we expected to socialize/ acknowledge our fellow peers interviewing?

Are the optional site info/ tour helpful? 

Thank you in advance! I wasn't sure where to ask this.. And best of luck to everyone! 

Hello! I have my interview tomorrow and I'm kind of a nervous wreck.. and I have a few things running through my head..

Is the interview process well organized?

Are the transitions between mini interviews hectic with a ton of people scurrying around?

Are we expected to socialize/ acknowledge our fellow peers interviewing?

Are the optional site info/ tour helpful?

Thank you in advance! I wasn't sure where to ask this.. And best of luck to everyone!

It's very well organized and there will be med students volunteers to guide you all throughout.

Transition between stations was very smooth and the stations are all labeled.

You are not expected to socialize at all, alot of people kept to themselves actually. Yet some were very friendly and talked to as many people as they could.

Tour wasn't helpful for me at all. But I did enjoy the site info, it helped me choose my preferred site and they talked about the curriculum etc.. It was informative.

Good luck!

How many rest stations were there?

I know there are 11 stations, only 1 rest? So 10 exam stations?

Website said 1-2 rest stations. Was that the case?

For me there was 11 stations, one of which was a rest station where you could grab a drink of water, go to the washroom (quickly), or chat with one of the interview guide/med student people. Like everyone seems to be reiterating, it was all highly organized and if you do require clarifications about the process there's a period to ask questions before you begin.. Best of luck! :) 

Felt that the interview went okay. Could definitely have been better. Some interviewers acted aloof. Questions were enjoyable, cant say anything more. Had a minor stumble where I did a great job at messing up at the easiest station I had. I can still picture the smirk on the interviewers face like "you couldn't answer that". That followed terrible performances on the next station (maybe next to that as well) where I could not express simple ideas in my head in coherent english. Fortunately Rest station came to the rescue and the other 5 went okay.

Im not sure if this was just me, but I actually spent the two minutes at most stations just breathing and telling myself everything will be okay, and ideas came to me when I was actually talking. Anyhow, that's just my self-assesment. Cant really compare it to last year, especially since you cant know what they are looking for.

Felt that the interview went okay. Could definitely have been better. Some interviewers acted aloof. Questions were enjoyable, cant say anything more. Had a minor stumble where I did a great job at messing up at the easiest station I had. I can still picture the smirk on the interviewers face like "you couldn't answer that". That followed terrible performances on the next station (maybe next to that as well) where I could not express simple ideas in my head in coherent english. Fortunately Rest station came to the rescue and the other 5 went okay.

Im not sure if this was just me, but I actually spent the two minutes at most stations just breathing and telling myself everything will be okay, and ideas came to me when I was actually talking. Anyhow, that's just my self-assesment. Cant really compare it to last year, especially since you cant know what they are looking for.

I actually had a similar feeling, in that I spent most of the 2 minutes not being able to come up with anything sensible, and then just opened the door and hoped that I could think of something else while I was talking. It worked out for some, but failed in others. Compared to other MMI experiences, I thought that UBC's interview just seems like a huge blur and I have absolutely no idea how I might have done.

I had a station where after a follow up question the interviewer asked me again the same question given in the prompt. That made me blank out because it occured to me that everything i had said uptill then have been nonsense.

That affected my other station where the guy had a very amused expression on his face because i was trying not to ramble but doing just that. He actually leaned forward on the table, clasped his hands together and asked me the follow-up with the same attitude.I cringe when i think about it because he must be thinkng what an idiot I was.

Archived