Premed 101 Forums

U Of Alberta 2016 Interview Discussion

How does everyone get 4.0 easy >=( I'm just awful in the classroom even though I am a teacher QQ

Congratulations to everyone who got an invite. That said I really want to reach out to those who didn't and remind them that there's always another chance available. The process is tough and having gone through it twice and barely reaching admission last year I completely understand the sorrows and pains people feel. Take some time for yourself (however long you need), ask yourself the important questions for self-reflection, and get up and try again.

Best wishes to everyone and I look forward to meeting you all on interview weekend.

- G

Can anyone help me out here?

I didn't receive an interview offer, but I was very competitive for UofA.

I was in the 4th year IP pool and my cGPA was 3.95, MCAT 519 (131/129/129/130), and ECs were average

What could have happened? Why didn't I get an invite? 

My recommendation would be to call MD Admissions and see if they can give you feedback. I don't think we have the answer to your question :(

I was in the 4th year IP pool and my cGPA was 3.95, MCAT 519 (131/129/129/130), and ECs were average

Getting into medical school in Canada is so incredibly difficult. Lots of amazing applicants don't get a chance to show off what they can do, and it's unfair and it sucks. Your stats are amazing and that in itself is something you should be proud of. In terms of this application specifically, it could just be that your ECs weren't what THEY were looking for. But keep in mind that this process is highly subjective and someone else could read your application and think it's great. So don't give up, this doesn't reflect who you are as a person or define the strength of your application. There's other schools and future cycles. Just because you didn't get Alberta this year doesn't mean you won't end up somewhere else, or even Alberta in future years. If medicine is what you want, keep at it and with stats like yours I'm sure other schools will be fighting over you. Just keep swimming!

In my opinion, it looks like your ECs were the primary thing weighing you down. What you call "average" may appear different by the assessors.

It sucks to wait, but you'll have to delay getting an answer until after the interviews and then they can do feedback letters. I mentioned in another thread if you want more feedback you can wait until July where they can actually meet with you to discuss it. UofA does a great job at providing useful feedback.

To echo everyone else's sentiments, it's hard every year and there are many qualified people that can get in that don't. Those that are in (myself especially) are incredibly fortunate and grateful for the opportunity to pursue our dreams. Like I said before, take time for yourself... let your emotions flow and then ask the important questions for self-reflection... then get on up since you're going to get a year older regardless.... at least move forward.

- G

My recommendation would be to call MD Admissions and see if they can give you feedback. I don't think we have the answer to your question :(

Getting into medical school in Canada is so incredibly difficult. Lots of amazing applicants don't get a chance to show off what they can do, and it's unfair and it sucks. Your stats are amazing and that in itself is something you should be proud of. In terms of this application specifically, it could just be that your ECs weren't what THEY were looking for. But keep in mind that this process is highly subjective and someone else could read your application and think it's great. So don't give up, this doesn't reflect who you are as a person or define the strength of your application. There's other schools and future cycles. Just because you didn't get Alberta this year doesn't mean you won't end up somewhere else, or even Alberta in future years. If medicine is what you want, keep at it and with stats like yours I'm sure other schools will be fighting over you. Just keep swimming!

In my opinion, it looks like your ECs were the primary thing weighing you down. What you call "average" may appear different by the assessors.

It sucks to wait, but you'll have to delay getting an answer until after the interviews and then they can do feedback letters. I mentioned in another thread if you want more feedback you can wait until July where they can actually meet with you to discuss it. UofA does a great job at providing useful feedback.

To echo everyone else's sentiments, it's hard every year and there are many qualified people that can get in that don't. Those that are in (myself especially) are incredibly fortunate and grateful for the opportunity to pursue our dreams. Like I said before, take time for yourself... let your emotions flow and then ask the important questions for self-reflection... they get on up since you're going to get a year older regardless.... at least move forward.

- G

So I've talked to admissions and they've said I was rejected based on my poor interview performance last year... I thought each year's application was kind of a clean slate and independent from applications from other years? The only reason I did so poor was because a lack of preparation, a poor approach to answeing questiosn, and nervousness

So I've talked to admissions and they've said I was rejected based on my poor interview performance last year... I thought each year's application was kind of a clean slate and independent from applications from other years? The only reason I did so poor was because a lack of preparation, a poor approach to answeing questiosn, and nervousness

Do you have any reason to suspect you were red-flagged last year?

No not yet. I'm thinking of calling or emailing them back . But I wanna see what other people recommend doing first

Hey premed1425. First of all, your stats are great and you should be damn proud of those numbers. I am sorry about your situation.

If I were you I would go there in PERSON and get your concerns addressed. This is no small matter. I, like you, would be devastated to be kicked out because of something as unfair/trivialas "last year's interview performance". If you did get red flagged, I suggest you ask them about what that means in regards to future application cycles and if that did in fact impact your chances this cycle. As others have mentioned, it may just be your ECs that are holding you back. You can't be sure. Go MEET them! 

Best of luck.

Not sure if I should go all the way to Edmonton from Calgary to try that. They may not want talk and may just tell me to wait for the comparison letter or something.

My ECs may not be average, but I seriously doubt that they're what's keeping me from getting an invite. Even if they are somewhat weak, my GPA and MCAT should easily make up for it. 

Not sure if I should go all the way to Edmonton from Calgary to try that. They may not want talk and may just tell me to wait for the comparison letter or something.

My ECs may not be average, but I seriously doubt that they're what's keeping me from getting an invite. Even if they are somewhat weak, my GPA and MCAT should easily make up for it. 

IMO it just can't be your ECs holding you back here. Something's off in another domain.

EDIT: Additionally, I would be wary of putting up personal information (your app) up for download. Its better to be safe than sorry!

EDIT 2: Bro, RESPECT on MP record...That's my weakest lift - technique needs work big time lol.

you should edit your post and remove the attachment ASAP.

How bad would your interview have to be to get permanently red flagged? This is could be an oversight, an unfair policy, or premed1425 said something like "I want to be a doctor because racial group X are the worst" at his/her interview.

My understanding is that if a school red flags you (which is usually not due to an interview), that you are usually notified thereof. 

My understanding is that if a school red flags you (which is usually not due to an interview), that you are usually notified thereof.

Which would make sense, I think. Didn't Premed1425 say that they told him his/her interview last year got him/her rejected this year? Maybe red flag isn't the right phrase. Anyway, I just feel like there's more to it here. There must have been some incident at the interview to make him/her stand out in such a negative way.