Premed 101 Forums

U Of Alberta 2016 Interview Discussion

There was something one applicant said today during the afternoon Q & A session that threw me off.

This applicant said that one of the interviewer's told each applicant that they would be giving all of them full marks for one particular station.

The reason was because the interviewer thought that the question was inappropriate and thus invalid.

The interviewer was going to contest the question but in the meantime just gave every applicant on that track full marks for that station.

Is there anyone here who was on that particular track and can comment a little more on what the interviewer said exactly? (Not looking for specifics of the station, just want a better idea of what happened.)

Interesting. Can't think of which question this would be, but regardless if it does get thrown out, hopefully it's a Station I didn't do well on. Lol

Dr. Moreau has commented on this because someone in the A6 rotation asked about this problem....... from what we gather someone (even after the interviewer cross-calibration/discussions that happens each morning on potential aspects of good/poor answers) was still unsatisfied with the question (whether or not this person agreed with the others on their POVs) and just decided to tell every applicant in their circuit that they got all 7/7 and that they were going to protest the question. While people can disagree with other's POV...... I doubt there's ever been an incident where someone disliked a question so much that they just did whatever they felt like. 

He's mentioned explicitly that their admissions team will investigate this...... although there may not be an individual email for every applicant affected, he guarantees that whatever solution they take will try their best to maintain fairness to those in the set and not weigh against them in the overall interviewee rankings. 

- G

There was one station in A2 that I thought could've been worded better. Without going into specifics, I personally found the instructions vague because I wasn't sure if I should approach the interviewer in 1st person or answer the question in 3rd person. I felt the interviewer saw my point but ofcourse he couldn't do much except reiterate the question during the interview. lol. If anyone else found the same perhaps it might be important to bring up with the ad com? I have emailed them about it and am still waiting for an answer.

Other than that the interview experience was wonderful. Everyone went out of their way to make us relaxed and comfortable. To the point I'm glad just to have been part of the experience regardless of the outcome. Although an acceptance would very much solidify my feelings. lol.

I can understand the ambiguity... My interviewer just kept saying "um" and repeating the prompt when I asked different open ended questions, so I wasn't sure if they were trying to play a character or if they genuinely didn't know how to answer. 

Ie. Do you speak to the interviewer and have a back and forth conversation, or do you "talk at them". Does that make sense?

I can understand the ambiguity... My interviewer just kept saying "um" and repeating the prompt when I asked different open ended questions, so I wasn't sure if they were trying to play a character or if they genuinely didn't know how to answer. 

Ie. Do you speak to the interviewer and have a back and forth conversation, or do you "talk at them". Does that make sense?

That's a bummer. I assumed it was interactive and when the interviewer didn't answer back, I actually clarified if this was meant to be interactive. To this, the reply was "no". That's basically how I figured out I had to monologue it.

For that one I had to clarify if it was interactive, but I thought the 1st person perspective was clear. Unless I'm referring to a different question...

Assuming we're all talking about the same one - I also thought it was pretty clear that it was a 1st person perspective station. I even thought it was implied in the question [on the door] that you're suppose to do this in 1st person perspective. The prompt/follow-up could be answered in 3rd person though.

That's a bummer. I assumed it was interactive and when the interviewer didn't answer back, I actually clarified if this was meant to be interactive. To this, the reply was "no". That's basically how I figured out I had to monologue it.

Yeah after he didn't really answer my questions I just kind of went with it so I guess we'll have to see how it went haha.  :D

I don't recall anywhere mentioning that Alberta had an SP (actor) station, but I prepared both interactive and non-interactive plans within the 2 minutes.

Then before giving my answer I asked what kind of station it was and settled on my non-interactive plan.

That being said, it was definitely quite ambiguous. It would be much more clear if they put (non-interactive) at the end of the question. 

Ok, imo U of A wins the contest for best admissions video (good try U of C). They both made parodies of the same songs, but U of A students had made it more creative and funnier (+1)!

Maybe, but the UofA video last year was much better than this year's, in my earnest opinion.  :lol:

EDIT: your guys' comments about the ambiguity of whether or not this particular station was interactive or non-interactive is freaking me out! I automatically assumed it was one of the two, and the interviewer went along with it. Should I be worried? I'm assuming the interviewer wouldn't have proceeded if I didn't pick the right option of the two...

Also in this station, the interviewer spoke for a minute about a personal anecdote, to which I politely listened before telling him I'd begin my response. This was definitely my worst station on account of the interactive vs. non-interactive debate, and the interviewer talking for a minute.  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:

The first station being the introductory one? 

If that's the case I think it's fine - it's not marked and just used as a way to help calm your nerves before your other stations! If you're referring to the same station the rest of us are referring to (assuming we're all talking about the same one) then I'm sure it's fine. If there was this much confusion and ambiguity, then we're all in a very similar boat and I don't think that should be an indicator of you doing the wrong thing! 

The first station being the introductory one? 

If that's the case I think it's fine - it's not marked and just used as a way to help calm your nerves before your other stations! If you're referring to the same station the rest of us are referring to (assuming we're all talking about the same one) then I'm sure it's fine. If there was this much confusion and ambiguity, then we're all in a very similar boat and I don't think that should be an indicator of you doing the wrong thing! 

^100%

Oh I wasn't referring to the first station. The presentation prior to the interview made clear the 1st and last stations were interactive. I think a lot of people had the same issue as me, judging by the posts above, and I'm pretty sure we are talking about the same/similar scenario. lol. 

Although I tried answering in first person, in retrospect I think it was not supposed to be that way. Especially since in the follow up questions the interviewer was not 'in character'. LOL. It's funny how awkward it was looking back at it. 

I have no idea if this ambiguity is grounds for re-assessing the station. I personal think the answers are very different if you address it in 1st person vs 3rd person. I emailed admissions about it because I thought it was a concern. If you guys think so too maybe email about it as well? I'm sure in any MMI scenario the directions should be clear, even if the issues and solutions might be ambiguous. Anyhow those are my very cheap 2 cents on this topic.

Yeah the graded station which turned out to be non interactive was poorly designed IMO. That wouldn't be a situation where a monologue would make any sense.

Agreed. It's the only negative feedback I ended up giving. In real life, not at all how you would deal with the situation, and really difficult to try and do it without asking questions/engaging directly with from the person you were talking to as you were going. 

Unlike some of you guys though I did enjoy the introductory and closing stations. Both my interviewers at those stations were really friendly. The opening station was a good way to relax and build a little bit of a rapport with the interviewer for later, and an MS3 was my closing station interviewer, which gave me a chance to have some questions answered from a student who was a little bit farther along at the school.

There was one station in A2 that I thought could've been worded better. Without going into specifics, I personally found the instructions vague because I wasn't sure if I should approach the interviewer in 1st person or answer the question in 3rd person. I felt the interviewer saw my point but ofcourse he couldn't do much except reiterate the question during the interview. lol. If anyone else found the same perhaps it might be important to bring up with the ad com? I have emailed them about it and am still waiting for an answer.

Other than that the interview experience was wonderful. Everyone went out of their way to make us relaxed and comfortable. To the point I'm glad just to have been part of the experience regardless of the outcome. Although an acceptance would very much solidify my feelings. lol.

You missed out on being with the best set leader in the world /s. 

I recall something similar, but I didn't think it was so significant that it could detract from the overall direction of your response. I'm sure they'll respond to your comments ... the people at the UME are amazing.

- G