Premed 101 Forums

Oop interview

Guest Valani9

Guest Valani9

Uh - did anyone else hear about oop interviews via email?

I just did. But the wierd thing was that the email said that I needed to respond earlier the same day that I received it.

Buh?

I also received an invite for a Dal interview today....yeah!!!! (I am from Ontario). I first email that I got from them this morning asked me to confirm that I will be attending my interview by a date/time that had already past. About an hour later I got the actual invite.....weird. Oh well. Congrats to everyone else who got an invite. Looking forward to seeing you in Halifax

Does anyone know how many non-maritime applicants Dalhousie accepts? Also, do you know how fast the waiting list tends to move (ie. how many people they accepted last year to fill the spots). Thanks so much!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest devomcd

I'm pretty sure that, of the 40ish people interviewed, they accept 8 from out of province. But, that said, in the class of '06 and '05 (I think?) there are more than 8 students from OOP.

In other news...

I got an interview!!!:rollin

For anyone out there from OOP still waiting to hear about interviews from Dal, I would call Tracy Teed. I called this morning and discovered that I had been invited for an interview but had never received the email which was sent on Feb. 6th.

Can't wait to meet everyone on March 8th!

congratulations devomcd! have you made your plans yet for next weekend? Where are you staying? Hopefully you can get it all figured out with such short notice. Looking forward to meeting you on the 8th!!!

Guest devomcd

well... I now have a flight booked:

Arriving Friday around noon, departing Sunday evening. I'll probably stay at the Holiday Inn.

I'm hoping there will be others staying Saturday night so we can unwind by checking out a few of the local establishments ;) .

Any takers?

I wish I was going to be there. Good Luck on your interview! You should check out the fancy little bar at the Holiday Inn. I had a nice drink there the night before my interview.

sigh...

I miss the east coast :(

• 2 weeks later...
Guest devomcd

Some info from the interview weekend:

Dr. Hughes mentioned that they would be reviewing the OOP applicant files on two consecutive Mondays (I think) in April in order to rank the applicants from 1 to 40. So, the first round of acceptances should arrive some time in April. He also mentioned that last year they made 15 offers to fill the 8 OOP seats.

Guest Valani9

Any thoughts on those interviews?

I found them to be extremely friendly and approachable, but not at the expense of their duties. I could not envision a better interview style. I was really impressed.

That said, they did challenge me about something they weren't sure about from my application. They were completely respectable about it. I didn't know whether or not this was a bad or a good thing. Was it them telling me why I may not be suitable for Dalhousie, or was it them showing a real interest in me by challenging and engaging me?

I dunno. I guess that's a question that many people have when they leave an interview.

Hi Valani9

I also had an interview at Dalhousie this past weekend and my general impression is very similar to yours. I thought that the interviewers were extremely friendly and they made me feel really comfortable. I don't think that you should worry about the challenging something from your application. I think that it is a reflection that your interviewers took the time to read your application and probably just wanted some clarification. I was asked some challenging questions as well, so they were all probably testing us on how we could handle difficult situations.

To all the Dalhousie students....thanks for the great weekend!!!

Guest multifish

I thought the interviewers were very pleasant. I was a bit surprised by some of the questions..they seemed, I must say, like *traps*...e.g. I said on my essay that I am judgmental of myself, and the interviewers said, "Oh, your essay says that you can be judgmental. Are you judgmental of people who smoke or drink?" This took me aback somewhat, but overall did not detract from the quality of the interview, which was generally warm and supportive.

Can any of the moderators confirm what devomcd heard during the interview weekend re: OOP acceptances (ie/ reviewing files in april and sending out the first round of acceptances then). I am excited that there is a chance that we could hear so soon, but it also makes me nervous!! Also, does anyone know if all of the OOPs are put on a waiting list, or is it only the top 25 or 30.

Thanks so much

Guest MD2006

Sorry Beth, I haven't heard anything re: OOP file reviews but I'll keep my ears open and let you know. Glad to hear you had a good time while in Halifax! Any other Dal questions let me know!

Archived