Premed 101 Forums

What's A Good Mental Checklist When You Answer Mmi Questions?

maxoutp

My interview is in two weeks and I've only just begun practicing. I usually try to keep these things in mind when I talk:  

1. Is the prompt trying to evoke any personal biases/stereotypes

2. Consider the perspectives of individuals involved 

3. Try and be objective in your response

4. problem solve the situation

5. When you can be honest, you should be honest

6. Cooperation is good

Is there anything else I should be aware of?

MMI – A Possible Blueprint to Solving Problems Raised in Each Scenario

Assess the facts in terms of what is normally expected, including social & legal standards and norms of responsible conduct, look to ripple effects to persons involved, their family, the institution involved if any, society, including others in similar circumstances

Diagnose the moral and other problems. Determine what the parties believe to have happened and the impact upon them 

Determine purpose of this scenario for you

Consider what, if any, ethical considerations are involved for the parties and wider society, and how these issues may be addressed by persons in authority

Determine what, if any, legal, bioethical or medical ethics problems or practical problems exist. Consider these as unexpressed facts in your analysis to come to a satisfactory or creative solution

Consider and discuss:

the options of actions of the participants and authorities

Consider fully the ethical principles for each option and conclude with persuasive argument supporting your plan of attack

Establish and discuss the goal you set for resolution of the ethical problem. Convince them that your plan of action (decision) will be acceptable in resolving the problem on a practical level, while addressing the ethical issues involved.

Justify the solution in terms of practicality and ethical considerations – both with the decision made AND the process of reaching and implementing the solution

Remember your ability to master a new situation in a time sensitive manner, while considering all factors that are not obvious and maintaining your composure, is what is being assessed.

OR

DEFINE THE REAL ISSUES, THE PROBLEM

STATE THE ETHICAL RULES THAT APPLY

APPLY THE RULES TO THE FACTS, TAKING INTO A/C RIPPLE EFFECT

REACH A CONCLUSION AND SOLUTION

DISCUSS THE ALTERNATIVES AND WHY NOT APPLIED

DISCUSS WHY YOUR APPROACH WAS APPROPRIATE

DEFEND YOUR POSITION WHEN IT IS ATTACKED

Below is also a List of Skills and Behaviours that are specifically marked in one of the below categories:

4=Excellent, 3=Good, 2=Satisfactory, 1=Unsatisfactory Top Score=20

- Has a sense of establishing the facts to ensure fairness 

- Demonstrates an awareness of the dilemma from a range of perspectives

- Ability to balance conflicting interests to come to a judgment about what is right

- Appreciates the need for students to consider the consequences of personal
behaviours

- Is able to draw lessons from experience to inform future learning

Remember, this can be a fun experience!

Archived