Premed 101 Forums

What To Do During The Time Period Between Undergraduate Ending And Applying For Medical School [Canadian School]

Yuusui

Hello everyone, I could not find a thread about this on this forum so I wanted to ask it here.

What should people do during the time between graduating undergrad and applying for medical schools?

To be specific, let's say that I will graduate this year and I do not get any offers from medical schools and I do not wish to pursue anything other than medicine. What should I do during this time period?

For example:

- take some extra courses to boost my GPA

- Get a job

- Research (?)

- part time job (?) - does it really matter what kind of job I get?

- Apply for a graduate (I don't really want to do this because I don't really have any specific interest in any of the fields that are still open to applications.)

Thank you!

Hello everyone, I could not find a thread about this on this forum so I wanted to ask it here.

What should people do during the time between graduating undergrad and applying for medical schools?

To be specific, let's say that I will graduate this year and I do not get any offers from medical schools and I do not wish to pursue anything other than medicine. What should I do during this time period?

For example:

- take some extra courses to boost my GPA

- Get a job

- Research (?)

- part time job (?) - does it really matter what kind of job I get?

- Apply for a graduate (I don't really want to do this because I don't really have any specific interest in any of the fields that are still open to applications.)

Thank you!

Get some life experience, doesn't matter what or why. Work a job, work research if you actually like it, go travel(work if needed to support it), etc. Don't do a masters if you don't want to, you don't need it. Waste of money and time sink if you are not actually interested in it. Finally, address any deficiencies in your app if you know it (Low mcat? retake it. Missing pre-reqs? take them. Need a gpa boost? Take classes. Weak non-academics? Beef em up).

In terms of boosting your GPA by taking extra courses, you will need to look at the rules of the medical schools of interest to see if they require a full course load or whatever their specific requirements may be so that such grades may count in your GPA calculation.

I spent my year off (so far) volunteering with the Ronald McDonald House, which has been extremely satisfying and working. I started by working full time at WalMart but found myself enjoying a parttime job running an afterschool program much more enjoyable. I did not apply for a Master's as in my research, I found it doesn't help too much and research, even though I enjoyed it, isn't something I could dedicate myself to doing fulltime. 

Look at the schools you didn't get interviews at this year, compare their criteria for selection to those which you did get interviews at, and try and see what your weaknesses likely were. Then try and improve those, if it's possible.

If not I say just try and enjoy your year, and do something which is meaningful to you, whether that be work, a grad degree, some volunteering at new places on the side, whatever. 

Personally, I'm also planning to try and gain exposure to different possible careers if medicine didn't work out again at the end of that year

Archived