Premed 101 Forums

Mcat And Gpa

For MCAT, does U of A look at CARS separately like U of C does? I have a very low CARS score124. Other sections were Phys/Chem 131, Bio 129, Psych 132 with a total of 516. Just wondering if the unbalanced score would affect the evaluation? Do I need to re-write?

My GPA is around 3.69. Is it too low to even expect an interview?

For EC's: I have been working in the health care field for 6 years, I am involved in some hospital committee work and have some volunteering experience.

Thanks!

mcat- unless they changed things this year, they mainly just look at the total score. Looking only at CARS is a little too progressive and open-minded for UofA

gpa - I was invited for an interview and have a lower gpa so shouldn't be impossible ;)

ECs - I'm still not convinced that UofA is interested in hearing things other than the traditional "research with Dr. xyz", "10,000 hospital volunteering", "camp councillor at ymca for 3 weeks" crap. I hope I'm wrong, but based on my experience (read: MY experience, i'm expecting a bunch of people to give me their 2 cents about their 1 friend who was an exception) with regards to who is admitted, the classes are generally fairly homogenous in their traditional cookie-cutter "premed" activities - at least relative to most other schools in Canada.

I haven't applied yet, so I can't say how your EC's compare to those who got in/were invited. However, I did talk to them, and there are people who have definitely gotten interviews with a 3.69. Apparently, they interview a fair amount of people with a GPA around 3.7, you'll just need to make sure your ECs and interview are good (again, I can't speak for ECs).

I haven't applied yet, so I can't say how your EC's compare to those who got in/were invited. However, I did talk to them, and there are people who have definitely gotten interviews with a 3.69. Apparently, they interview a fair amount of people with a GPA around 3.7, you'll just need to make sure your ECs and interview are good (again, I can't speak for ECs).

Agreed.

I've scored two UofA interviews with a 3.71. My MCAT is a little lower than yours Dts, so as long as you have some pretty solid ECs you should be able to land an interview!

Archived