Premed 101 Forums

Did I Miss Anything Regarding Img Or Csa?

therepublic

First of all, as a disclaimer, I opened this topic because I was just curious and do not mean to imply anything about CSA or otherwise.

Yesterday, I was talking with a couple of my friends about our future and etc. All of them told me that they have been accepted to medical schools (I was so shocked and upset since I was waitlisted and rejected by all Canadian med schools that I applied to, my vanity was bruised). Until later on, I learned that it is indeed true that they were all admitted to med schools but not Canadian ones (I am a horrible person, you do not know how relieved I was and still am).

1. Some of them are in SGU which they proceeded to tell that it is in UK. So, they said it is a UK med school, is it correct? I just can't imagine the British would be thrilled about a new med school for NA applicants.

2. One is in University of Sydney and another is in Flinder. So, in Australia, they said Australia allows those who did med school there to do their residencies in Australia. They bank on if they could not come back to Canada, they will just stay in Australia. I thought it is fair, since you should be allowed to practice wherever you studied medicine.

3. The rest of them are in Ireland. So, really IMG... but at least they are in Ireland. They told me the names are more accepting to Canadian residencies programs. I thought it is fair since one of my prof is from RCSI though I think he is irish.

I was rather shocked that none of them even applied to US. Though I do think it was late to apply to US when Canadian rejections came. I told them that I was accepted to DO schools. They were shocked that I would settle (an ironic turn of phrase there if I ever heard one).

TBH, I have never done any researches about any other schools out of North America since I have no intention of practicing medicine anywhere else. As such, I have applied only to Canadian med and USMD and DO schools. I was prepared to change career choice if I don't get in. Forgive me if I sound insecure, did I make a blunder about not researching and applying out of NA? I must admit that the sound of RCSI is very prestigious. I wouldn't mind studying there if I get a residency in US or Canada after.

Thanks 

First of all, as a disclaimer, I opened this topic because I was just curious and do not mean to imply anything about CSA or otherwise.

Yesterday, I was talking with a couple of my friends about our future and etc. All of them told me that they have been accepted to medical schools (I was so shocked and upset since I was waitlisted and rejected by all Canadian med schools that I applied to, my vanity was bruised). Until later on, I learned that it is indeed true that they were all admitted to med schools but not Canadian ones (I am a horrible person, you do not know how relieved I was and still am).

1. Some of them are in SGU which they proceeded to tell that it is in UK. So, they said it is a UK med school, is it correct? I just can't imagine the British would be thrilled about a new med school for NA applicants.

2. One is in University of Sydney and another is in Flinder. So, in Australia, they said Australia allows those who did med school there to do their residencies in Australia. They bank on if they could not come back to Canada, they will just stay in Australia. I thought it is fair, since you should be allowed to practice wherever you studied medicine.

3. The rest of them are in Ireland. So, really IMG... but at least they are in Ireland. They told me the names are more accepting to Canadian residencies programs. I thought it is fair since one of my prof is from RCSI though I think he is irish.

I was rather shocked that none of them even applied to US. Though I do think it was late to apply to US when Canadian rejections came. I told them that I was accepted to DO schools. They were shocked that I would settle (an ironic turn of phrase there if I ever heard one).

TBH, I have never done any researches about any other schools out of North America since I have no intention of practicing medicine anywhere else. As such, I have applied only to Canadian med and USMD and DO schools. I was prepared to change career choice if I don't get in. Forgive me if I sound insecure, did I make a blunder about not researching and applying out of NA? I must admit that the sound of RCSI is very prestigious. I wouldn't mind studying there if I get a residency in US or Canada after.

Thanks 

1. The UK stream of SGU is not new, and it is not considered a Uk school. That is laughable.

2. Good luck to them banking on getting a residency in australia, they'll definitely have to go rural. I know Canadians who did not match and thought theyd back up with staying in Aussie and didn't work out. So they had to wait out a year.

3. Irish schools are great, but again still IMG.

TLDR: Many of those schools are just fine programs, but the problem is a political one of being an IMG.

Congrats on your USDO acceptance, you are obviously much smarter than your peers. They obviously are just sour they weren't smart enough to apply to the US. And are stuck on having an "MD". Being a American Medical Graduate(AMG) by attending a US pretty much will gaurantee you a residency if you are even a below average student.  You can't say the same for IMGs.

Good job, good luck and good riddens to your so called friends who think you "Settled" for a USDO program.  You will be an American medical student and all things equal will have way better prospects than your IMG peers in the US residency match. 

"I thought it is fair, since you should be allowed to practice wherever you studied medicine." - Also a common misconception, hence why you don't see any Carribean grads doing residency in the carribean.

Most places that train CSAs/IMGs do not gaurantee them local training spots. The international programs are set up, so that they can charge you extra tuition, and send you back to north america(which also is no guarantee).  There are a few exceptions, mainly the UK - such that if you attend a Uk program you have the same right to residency there as any other UK medical student. The SGU UK program for year 1, forget the name, is not the same thing as a real UK program. UK programs generally have caps on how many international students they can accept, and on average are just as difficult to get into as North American medical schools.

1. The UK stream of SGU is not new, and it is not considered a Uk school. That is laughable.

2. Good luck to them banking on getting a residency in australia, they'll definitely have to go rural. I know Canadians who did not match and thought theyd back up with staying in Aussie and didn't work out. So they had to wait out a year.

3. Irish schools are great, but again still IMG.

TLDR: Many of those schools are just fine programs, but the problem is a political one of being an IMG.

Congrats on your USDO acceptance, you are obviously much smarter than your peers. They obviously are just sour they weren't smart enough to apply to the US. And are stuck on having an "MD". Being a American Medical Graduate(AMG) by attending a US pretty much will gaurantee you a residency if you are even a below average student.  You can't say the same for IMGs.

Good job, good luck and good riddens to your so called friends who think you "Settled" for a USDO program.  You will be an American medical student and all things equal will have way better prospects than your IMG peers in the US residency match. 

1. It makes sense. I just can't believe any countries with socialized medicine would ever allow some weird entities to just open med schools in their territories.

I understand from your posts that you are indeed an IMG to Canada or US if you study in Ireland or Australia. However, will not they be local students for Ireland and Australia? I mean these two countries are not some 3rd world countries like the Caribbean. My friends, while lamentable that they did not get to go to Canadian or US, are bright people so the standard at Ireland and Australia can not be bad. Because, goodness, if they cannot do that, those schools in Ireland or Aussie are not above those weird Caribbean schools. That will just be plainly horrible!!!

Some 250k+ just for an IMG status everywhere!!!

1. It makes sense. I just can't believe any countries with socialized medicine would ever allow some weird entities to just open med schools in their territories.

I understand from your posts that you are indeed an IMG to Canada or US if you study in Ireland or Australia. However, will not they be local students for Ireland and Australia? I mean these two countries are not some 3rd world countries like the Caribbean. My friends, while lamentable that they did not get to go to Canadian or US, are bright people so the standard at Ireland and Australia can not be bad. Because, goodness, if they cannot do that, those schools in Ireland or Aussie are not above those weird Caribbean schools. That will just be plainly horrible!!!

Some 250k+ just for an IMG status everywhere!!!

Money talks. Every administrator everywhere likes money.

• 3 weeks later...

You guys are all judging these people but think about this: when you are accepted to a US DO you are in the same matching pool as IMG for carms. Your chances of matching back in Canada are EXACTLY the same..

Not exactly, still CMG in BC(For now).

Not to mention some schools limit what countries schools are located with respect to getting electives. BC for example, if you want a formal UBC elective - it does not consider carribean schools. Only U.S., Ireland, UK, New Zealand or South Africa. Everywhere else is ineligible for UBC electives.

But thats not the point anyways - being a non-CMG in CaRMS sucks all around.

When you leave Canada, your #1 focus should be the U.S. match - and this is where going to an actual US school shines. 

Not exactly, still CMG in BC(For now).

Not to mention some schools limit what countries schools are located with respect to getting electives. BC for example, if you want a formal UBC elective - it does not consider carribean schools. Only U.S., Ireland, UK, New Zealand or South Africa. Everywhere else is ineligible for UBC electives.

But thats not the point anyways - being a non-CMG in CaRMS sucks all around.

When you leave Canada, your #1 focus should be the U.S. match - and this is where going to an actual US school shines. 

Well actually, you should focus on both and do rotations in both US and CANADA in my opinion. Cast a wide net and hope you catch a fish

Thanks 

1. They were probably referring to SGUL, St. George's University of London which is indeed a British medical school.

Its risky going abroad but your friends will likely become doctors at the end of the day. If your stats are still competitive for Canada and the US, then stay here. 

Can your friends that are going to Flinders apply to other Australian schools?

Flinders grads (even locals) may not get Australian internships as of next year. This isn't the typical "Australia internship crisis" thing, it's a real thing admitted by the school president itself. There's a big thread about it on sdn. Going to Flinders means you MUST come back to North America or Singapore i.e. there's no "backup".

Also for the one's going to Ireland, if you're a non-EU, you won't get an Irish internship so no backup there either without EU citizenship..something to keep in mind. Non-EU's used to be able to get Irish internships before but that's no longer the case. This is a relatively new news so it hasn't become a "thing" yet but you'll surely hear about this in upcoming years.

You're on the right track! Don't worry about the others.

1. They were probably referring to SGUL, St. George's University of London which is indeed a British medical school.

Its risky going abroad but your friends will likely become doctors at the end of the day. If your stats are still competitive for Canada and the US, then stay here. 

After a very round about of a round about way, I learned that it is not SGUL but the offshoot campus from SGU. You will be impressed at how I learned which is which from them without seeming nosy or letting them know that I want to know.

While I am certain that they will become doctors but why the risks. Furthermore, after learning as much as I can about other non-canadian options belatedly, I really want to bring up the US DO topic with them: just for the facts that they will be treated as AMG in US. However, I don't think they will be happy with me.

Can your friends that are going to Flinders apply to other Australian schools?

Flinders grads (even locals) may not get Australian internships as of next year. This isn't the typical "Australia internship crisis" thing, it's a real thing admitted by the school president itself. There's a big thread about it on sdn. Going to Flinders means you MUST come back to North America or Singapore i.e. there's no "backup".

Also for the one's going to Ireland, if you're a non-EU, you won't get an Irish internship so no backup there either without EU citizenship..something to keep in mind. Non-EU's used to be able to get Irish internships before but that's no longer the case. This is a relatively new news so it hasn't become a "thing" yet but you'll surely hear about this in upcoming years.

You're on the right track! Don't worry about the others.

I don't know how to gently tell them to look at any other schools without being insensitive. After all, since I was not admitted to any CDN programs myself but DO, I should not throw stone in a glass house. I fear that to dig too much will seems as if I am criticizing their choices or bringing up a painful subject. The topic is, as it is, a rather sensitive subject to me too: not getting in CDN schools, I mean.

I am certain they still can apply to other schools or even US (MD/DO) schools. I heard from them that their term will start in Jan 2017. However, I feel the topic will be unwelcome and I don't think they are willing to wait longer.

You guys are all judging these people but think about this: when you are accepted to a US DO you are in the same matching pool as IMG for carms. Your chances of matching back in Canada are EXACTLY the same..

As I have said before, the purpose of this thread is not to judge anything (between you and I, they are my friends). Canadian med schools, as we all know, are terrible beasts to tame. I am making this thread here primarily to gather information after conversation with my friends. The reason being that I have done no research about any situations beyond Canada and US. It was indeed remiss of me to have no research before I applied to DO and MD schools. Why? I was naive enough to believe that you must study medicine in a country you want to practice later as well as our relatives down south have DO as their gynecologists and family doctors. As well, I could care less for the practice of medicine in any other places but Canada or US.

In terms of Canada, DO remains CMG in BC and Quebec (my province). A setback, to be sure, but certainly better than nothing. Therefore, I will do as t0ny said: Cast a wide net and hope I catch a fish.

After a very round about of a round about way, I learned that it is not SGUL but the offshoot campus from SGU. You will be impressed at how I learned which is which from them without seeming nosy or letting them know that I want to know.

While I am certain that they will become doctors but why the risks. Furthermore, after learning as much as I can about other non-canadian options belatedly, I really want to bring up the US DO topic with them: just for the facts that they will be treated as AMG in US. However, I don't think they will be happy with me.

I don't know how to gently tell them to look at any other schools without being insensitive. After all, since I was not admitted to any CDN programs myself but DO, I should not throw stone in a glass house. I fear that to dig too much will seems as if I am criticizing their choices or bringing up a painful subject. The topic is, as it is, a rather sensitive subject to me too: not getting in CDN schools, I mean.

I am certain they still can apply to other schools or even US (MD/DO) schools. I heard from them that their term will start in Jan 2017. However, I feel the topic will be unwelcome and I don't think they are willing to wait longer.

As I have said before, the purpose of this thread is not to judge anything (between you and I, they are my friends). Canadian med schools, as we all know, are terrible beasts to tame. I am making this thread here primarily to gather information after conversation with my friends. The reason being that I have done no research about any situations beyond Canada and US. It was indeed remiss of me to have no research before I applied to DO and MD schools. Why? I was naive enough to believe that you must study medicine in a country you want to practice later as well as our relatives down south have DO as their gynecologists and family doctors. As well, I could care less for the practice of medicine in any other places but Canada or US.

In terms of Canada, DO remains CMG in BC and Quebec (my province). A setback, to be sure, but certainly better than nothing. Therefore, I will do as t0ny said: Cast a wide net and hope I catch a fish.

You'll be fine, especially coming from Quebec. Regarding your friends, I say let them be. I don't think many people actually don't know about DO as an option before going abroad. They might have different reasons for choosing abroad than you. 

You'll be fine, especially coming from Quebec. Regarding your friends, I say let them be. I don't think many people actually don't know about DO as an option before going abroad. They might have different reasons for choosing abroad than you. 

Agreed, though I'd say in my experience with peers going Carribean for the upcoming 2016 August entry, most actually didn't know about DO. Aside from the few of us who post about DO on forums, there really isn't much in the way of "marketing". While DO has made a lot of strides in the last few years - it is still relatively unknown compared to carrib/aussie/ireland etc.

Agreed, though I'd say in my experience with peers going Carribean for the upcoming 2016 August entry, most actually didn't know about DO. Aside from the few of us who post about DO on forums, there really isn't much in the way of "marketing". While DO has made a lot of strides in the last few years - it is still relatively unknown compared to carrib/aussie/ireland etc.

I agree. Anyone I know who's going/went to the Caribbean really did so without doing any significant amount of  research on the subject or looking at the alternatives. I don't mean that in a rude way, but they really just saw applied down south concurrently with their first cycle of Canadian applications (and only Ontario) and figured  quoted something about 'just having to write the same licensing exams and then it's entirely equal'

I agree. Anyone I know who's going/went to the Caribbean really did so without doing any significant amount of  research on the subject or looking at the alternatives. I don't mean that in a rude way, but they really just saw applied down south concurrently with their first cycle of Canadian applications (and only Ontario) and figured  quoted something about 'just having to write the same licensing exams and then it's entirely equal'

Yeah, many don't do too much research at all. In fairness, some just get discouraged after the first poor canadian app cycle and give up. Its somewhat of a reflection of our instant gratification society of "not wasting time" "I want to do this now!" etc etc. 

Yeah I think it's this program: http://www.sgu.edu/school-of-medicine/keith-taylor-scholars-program.html

I had a friend who did it too. While she enjoyed being in UK for her first year, at the end of the day she is still a Caribbean grad/non-UK and IMG. 

Archived