Premed 101 Forums

Mcmaster Health Sciences Vs. Queen's Major Admission Award

plumpee

As would 50K.  Organic chemistry exams, in my experience, cannot compare to the severe stress that comes with a lack of money for university/living expenses

Agreed- but at the same time we don't know OPs financial situation. If money isn't an issue for them, then maybe the 50K isn't as big of a pulling factor. 

As would 50K.  Organic chemistry exams, in my experience, cannot compare to the severe stress that comes with a lack of money for university/living expenses

Oh I would not dispute that, in my first post I said that if money is an issue then Queen's no question. If money was not an issue than Mac. 

Look if money is an issue than having to take a part time job + Mac is going to be more painful than no part time job + Queens. 

Oh I would not dispute that, in my first post I said that if money is an issue then Queen's no question. If money was not an issue than Mac. 

Look if money is an issue than having to take a part time job + Mac is going to be more painful than no part time job + Queens. 

Haha seems like that's the main points of it. 

Reduce stress/maximize GPA+ECs either way

This is a total no brainer.  Queen's is still, relatively speaking, a challenging university with first year still having low class averages compared to most schools.  McMaster Health Scieces - show up with a heart beat, play nice with your classmates, and hand in your assignments - and you will get a 4.0 pretty much handed to you.

The money from a scholarship is PEANUTS compared to the wealth a medical degree that you get as quickly as possible will net you.   Not to mention - with Wynne's government not making university essentially free or cheap to those from poorer families - even if you don't have that much money - it means nothing.  HEALTH SCIENCES IS A TICKET TO MEDS WITH MINIMAL EFFORT.  Do not make a big mistake.  Even with a part time job - MAC HEALTH SCIENCES is pretty EASY.

Don't potentially ruin your life.

This is a total no brainer.  Queen's is still, relatively speaking, a challenging university with first year still having low class averages compared to most schools.  McMaster Health Scieces - show up with a heart beat, play nice with your classmates, and hand in your assignments - and you will get a 4.0 pretty much handed to you.

The money from a scholarship is PEANUTS compared to the wealth a medical degree that you get as quickly as possible will net you.   Not to mention - with Wynne's government not making university essentially free or cheap to those from poorer families - even if you don't have that much money - it means nothing.  HEALTH SCIENCES IS A TICKET TO MEDS WITH MINIMAL EFFORT.  Do not make a big mistake.  Even with a part time job - MAC HEALTH SCIENCES is pretty EASY.

Don't potentially ruin your life.

Considering your name ("uwopremed"), I find it hard to believe that you really understand the work involved (I mean no disrespect to you uwopremed). Additionally this curriculum is very different to that of queens so it probably depends on the person. I think the OP really needs to evaluate both curriculums and decide which is a better fit for him/her. It's the same concept as taking a class which others say is an easy 4.0 and then it turns out to destroy your whole GPA for that year. OP, be cautious and make sure you make your choices based on what you are comfortable with and YOUR OWN preferences, not solely on what others claim. I'm not saying what others claim is false but it could be grossly misleading as something easy for one person may be extremely difficult for another. Lastly, going to Queens will not "potentially ruin your life". It's mostly about the work and effort you put in. And Mac Health Sci is not simply a ticket to get into med school. Yes that 4.0 will increase your chance compared to a lower GPA but I'm sure you've noticed that a 4.0 does not guarantee you an interview anywhere. Be careful and evaluate things extensively.   

University certainly won't be free. 48k over 4 years is still a lot more than what OP would get from the new government program alone (which is around $6000-$8000/yr).

The easier road as a premed is definitely McMaster but it's quite melodramatic to suggest that OP would be ruining his/her life by choosing Queens over McMaster.

University certainly won't be free. 48k over 4 years is still a lot more than what OP would get from the new government program alone (which is around $6000-$8000/yr).

The easier road as a premed is definitely McMaster but it's quite melodramatic to suggest that OP would be ruining his/her life by choosing Queens over McMaster.

And 48K would make many people's lives much easier than Mac Health Sci ever would. 

90% of my stress in university has been over money/work. Grades are peanuts compared to the fear of not being able to afford travel to your MD interviews. THAT is an awful stress, let me tell you. 

It clearly depends on your personal situation and background which would be more stressful. I know many of my peers who get familial support are not as stressed about money as myself, so their choice may likely vary from mine in that situation. To each their own.

Definitely Mac Health Sci. You will get more research opportunities, better grades, TA opportunities and a wide variety of other things that will help your application for professional school better than other programs. On top of that, the Health Sci profs are really nice and are always telling the students that they are more than willing to write reference letters. The program itself is great and I would def choose Health Sci over Queens given that it gives you more advantages when applying to professional school compared to other science programs! 

Definitely Mac Health Sci. You will get more research opportunities, better grades, TA opportunities and a wide variety of other things that will help your application for professional school better than other programs. On top of that, the Health Sci profs are really nice and are always telling the students that they are more than willing to write reference letters. The program itself is great and I would def choose Health Sci over Queens given that it gives you more advantages when applying to professional school compared to other science programs! 

I hope you know that most universities provide students with ample opportunities for research, to TA, and "a wide variety of other things that will help". The major advantage with Health Sci is the grade inflation and I would argue that someone capable of being awarded a major scholarship has the tools necessary to excel in terms of grades in most programs/universities.

If money isn't an issue, I would do mac health sci (increased likelihood of better grades, opportunities, etc). Just being in a class filled with premeds is also a bonus imo...

Really? 

Besides the fact that this is not an encouraging environment (most of the time), I'm pretty sure classes filled with premeds can be found at just about any science related major at most universities (if this is something the OP is interested in).

But in all seriousness, how is this a bonus???

If money isn't an issue, I would do mac health sci (increased likelihood of better grades, opportunities, etc). Just being in a class filled with premeds is also a bonus imo...

I would argue that it is actually a disadvantage. Probably fosters a competitive environment as well as neuroticism. 

Want to echo mac health sci again. Mac Health Sci is this unique program suited to prep students for a career in healthcare, this does not have to be medicine. The point of the program is to create an environment which fosters this. The classes focus on applying things to real life, the faculty are helpful, the program is closely tied to the med school, and there are enormous amounts of opportunity (in research, shadowing doctors, TAing, doing extra cadaver work, joining pre-med health groups, community involvement) which are sort of only known within the healthsci community and other mac students do not get access. The point being that this "environment" sort of feels like they are the cream of the crop. Yes some ego's abound (which is not a pleasant feeling for some, but shouldn't be the point)- in life it's really all about connections. So why wouldn't someone take an opportunity to join this "club" and open doors for themselves?? If you are outgoing and willing to stand out (be class president, speak up etc) you will shine. This will help future letters and opportunities. 

I do not know any health sci grads who are struggling for work or bartending to make ends meet. Everyone I know who has been in health sci went on to a professional health program and always tells me that EVERYONE in their class got into some kind of professional healthcare program or healthcare research.

Archived